• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Betta fish with a Parrot

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
I’m thinking of getting a betta fish. i’ve been doing research and i know they don’t think typically attack humans but would they attack a lovebird if the lovebird possibly tried to bathe in the bowl or something?

Also im not sure if a parrot would try to eat the fish? id panic if they managed to fight... how horrible, a water dweller fighting a sky dweller... any advice?

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Could you maybe just have some type of aquarium lid on top? :) I think I recall that you have cats, anyways? May be safest with a cat around, too, to just get a lid for the tank.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
You'll want a lid on your aquarium for sure. Bettas are jumpers!

Please be sure to get at least a 5-gallon tank. They're actually really active swimmers and love the space! Each of my two betta boys have 20-gallon tanks all to themselves and they use every inch of 'em. ;)

Here are some old pics of Zyda and my Kraken before I replaced all the silk plants with live ones. :heart: Bettas are quite the clever characters and can even be taught to perform tricks. He's an old blind man now, but in his younger days Kraken would jump, swim through a hoop, flare, and follow a stick all on command. :D

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
For the bird's safety, the top must be covered.
Give the fish at least 5 gal min., and the tank should also be heated.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Betta are not aggressive fish. They are territorial within their species, which is a big difference. I have had several males over the years in community tanks without issues. In fact, when mixing with other fish, you need to make sure that the OTHER fish won't be a hazard to the betta!

They do best with a minimum 5 to 10 gallon tank, heat, and filtration. I find a 10 gallon or larger easier to deal with in that regard because they also tend to not like currents, and a 5 gallon can easily get overpowered by most cheap filters. They definitely need a cover as they WILL jump out, especially if the water conditions are poor.

Mine have always liked plants with big wide leaves to lay on and take a break :)

Tanks are a drowning hazard as mentioned, so that is another reason the tank should be covered.

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
Yes, just to be clear, the betta won't hurt the bird, but you don't want the bird falling into the tank.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
The betta won't hurt the bird, but the bird could hurt the betta, and the bird could certainly drown.

I kept my betta in a 5 gallon at first, then I moved him to a 10 gallon. He used every bit of space and lived out his days quite happily.

Get a lid. And remember to buy a heater, a filter, all that. You won't need an airstone/bubbler since bettas are a type of fish with a special organ called a labyrinth organ, which allows them to breathe from the surface.

And NO BOWL!!!!

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Bettas do way better in 5-10 gallon tanks than bowls, plus it's generally easier to keep clean if you cycle it properly (which usually takes 2 months) you just do weekly water changes and syphon the gravel to pick up poop and uneaten food