• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Betta fish problem!

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
Our Betta fish was acting odd this morning. He was swimming to the top to get food but immediately going to the bottom afterwards, like he's being pulled backwards and can't stay up. Then he is sitting on the bottom...any ideas? We have had him since last August and haven't had any problems. My daughter is so upset!

thanks!
Melody

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you done any recent water changes?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Can you please answer these questions
How big is his tank?
What is the temperature and are you using a heater?
What are your readings for Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH?{using titration test kits not test strips}
What is the filtration used?
How often are water changes performed and what is your routine for this? What is the percentage of water removed? Do you insure the new water being used is the same PH and temp before making the change?
What additives do you use? How do you dechlorinate the water?
Any other tankmates? Any new added recently?
What type of food do you feed and how often?
Approximately how old is your betta?

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
I am at work so most of this stuff has to be answered later.
We change the water regularly. Its a small 2 gallon tank with an air pump. We feed him betta food twice a day. We use the stuff to make the water safe and we use a weekly solution as well. We leave a little water for the change and change out most of it. No other tank mates as he is a Betta. We have had him since last August. Don't know his age but he was pretty small when we got him.

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Is he laying on his side when he goes to the bottom?

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
Victoria: not really. He is all the way at the bottom though and his tail was kind of curling around and up over him. It just didn't look right. I hated leaving him this morning. :(

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Does he look like he is puffed out, like a pine cone? Do you ever give him a day off food? Doing a day of fasting, followed the next day by this can sometimes relieve them if it is constipation~ defrost a couple frozen peas in warm water, remove the shell, cut them, and give him a few small pieces.
The tank readings are important. A 2 gallon tank should be changed 50% twice a week, at the very least once, but again, monitor the nitrates with a test kit. API makes a good inexpensive titration test kit. That is where you should start. Stop adding "solution"..whatever that is. Just use Seachem Prime-get it next time when you run out to dechlor the water instead of whatever you have been using. Make sure you are only feeding him a good pellet, just a few twice a day. Like Hikari biogold, Omega One, or New Life Spectrum. Occasionally offer frozen bloodworms instead of pellets. Then once in awhile offer the peas.

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
Waterfaller1, he doesn't look puffed out at all, He looks fine except he seems to be sinking or pulled to the bottom. I do think if he pulls through we will change his food to pellets. I can also do the blood worms and peas. Thank you for the suggestion. The solution I use is water balance and a water conditioner.

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
I didn't see this mentioned but do you use a heater in his tank? It is important for bettas. (Waterfaller did.... SORRY!)

Also, I had a betta that developed curled fins and getting regular aquarium salt and adding a natural medicine to the tank healed him within a week.

Last edited:

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would recommend upgrading him in the near future. A filter and heated are total necessities for Bettas, IMO.

Aquarium salt is good. Make sure you know the nitrogen cycle. Fishlore is an EXCELLENT resource.

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
I do not have a heater...obviously I need to make some changes! Thanks for the advice! I will be headed to get some stuff after work.

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
So far so good. I changed out the water and bought a kit to test it. The lady at the story said to wait a day before I test it though. He is eating and I hope he is OK.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That is great. Hope he improves and does well.