• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best way to integrate birds?

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
I'm thinking of adding a Cockatiel and Budgie into our flock and am trying to figure out the best way to do this. I've been thinking to keep the Cockatiel and Budgie's away from Leo (my lovebird) until the Cockatiel and Budgie get used to me and their new homes. then I would slowly introduce them to Leo. My main worry is that Leo is currently really lonely, he never wants to interact with me or anyone else. So I'm also thinking of putting Boomer (the Cockatiel) and Banjo (the Budgie)'s cages right next to Leo so they can interact. Not letting them out of the cage, but so they can talk to each other during the day. Is this a bad idea?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I think they’d enjoy that.

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Have you thought about adopting another Lovebird instead? That way, if they do end up liking each other, they could possibly interact one on one, and not have to be locked in separate cages for fear of different beak size danger. I think some people believe 2 of the same species is the ideal way to go, but I'm not an expert. :)

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
Have you thought about adopting another Lovebird instead? That way, if they do end up liking each other, they could possibly interact one on one, and not have to be locked in separate cages for fear of different beak size danger. I think some people believe 2 of the same species is the ideal way to go, but I'm not an expert. :)
I’ve been looking for a breeder in my area since last October, I may have found one but they aren’t garunteed to be a breeder and if they are they may not have lovebirds and if they do I probably won’t find out until june

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Most of my birds have their cages side by side with their favourite flockmate (Guzma and Mimikyu, Geralt and Yen), and they seem to really enjoy it. It gives them someone to talk to when you're not there, and even if they can't be housed together, they can still interact.

You could also try looking online for lovebirds who need a home (shelters, classifieds, ect), or even take out an ad in your local newspaper. I've even seen some birds up for adoption on sites like petluck, where animals whose owners just can't be found are often rehomed through the site.

Quaker Carl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carl
Lovebirds do great in pairs dont they. Id give your idea a try though. He might love the company. I always had 2 of every pet coz i didnt want them to be lonely when im not home x

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@ZteveBond can we ask where you're located? Maybe someone could help you find a breeder or rescue.

I know lovies are supposed to do great in pairs. Nothing at our house ever pairs up. It'd be great if that worked out for you though! My lovie bonded with a parrotlet.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Have you tried Craigslist or Kijiji? it's where I've found most of my birds, since I have the same issue as you. Or you can simply look around. Let people in your area know you have a bird and want to get him a friend. I was given Guzma out of the blue after my neighbours found out I had Mimikyu. There are probably a lot more people like that out there.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Have you tried Craigslist or Kijiji? it's where I've found most of my birds, since I have the same issue as you. Or you can simply look around. Let people in your area know you have a bird and want to get him a friend. I was given Guzma out of the blue after my neighbours found out I had Mimikyu. There are probably a lot more people like that out there.
I don’t know if you are into this @ZteveBond , but those can be really good ways to find a new fid! I got Henkie from my mom’s boyfriend, Tiki from a really bad person through a craigslist like website, Fëanor from a family on craigslist and I have been offered the lovebird of one of my teacher’s after the other one passed away, and a small parrot from someone else. I had to refuse them both sadly as I can’t Take more birds, but both would have been lovely no doubt!

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
Yeah, I have. No luck with anyone under a 8 hour drive