1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best way to disinfect a wood perch?

Discussion in 'Bird Boulevard' started by sunnysmom, 4/16/18.

1. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Michelle
    I just bought a used cage from a woman I know. She nicely included in the cage this large natural wood perch. I'd like to keep the perch because it fits perfectly in the cage. What's the best way to disinfect it? (I know she takes good care of her birds, vet checks etc. But I would rather be safe than sorry.)

2. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

You can try f 19 or whatever its called then bake it

Hankmacaw and sunnysmom like this.
  3. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor Tailgating Party! BINGO CHAMPION I Can't Stop Posting!

Shawna
    F10 would be the safest and easiest.

4. webchirp

webchirp Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Rescue Representative Vendor

Chandra
    F10 is my favorite cleaning solution! And spray after cleaning and let dry.

5. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Michelle
    F10 it is. I've actually never used it. So ordering some now. Thanks!

6. Teckechick

Teckechick Sprinting down the street Tailgating Party!

Dawn
    I do love F10 it works so well that I now use it throughout our whole house and not just Aries's area.

Hankmacaw and sunnysmom like this.
  7. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor Tailgating Party! BINGO CHAMPION I Can't Stop Posting!

Shawna
    It lasts a long time too!

I use it only every few months because I'm a firm believer in germs :lol: But I love that I can use it for birds, gecko, and rats without worry.

Hankmacaw, sunnysmom and Teckechick like this.
  8. Just-passn-thru

Just-passn-thru Rollerblading along the road I Can't Stop Posting!

Suzanne
    After disinfecting put outdoors in full sunlight for a few hours rotate the branch periodically, the sun's ultra violet Ray's kill bacteria and any possible mold that may be lurking in the nooks and crannies.

9. camelotshadow

camelotshadow Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

I use it in the kitchen & bathroom too...LOL F10...

10. sunnysmom

Michelle
    I just ordered some. Thanks! Not sure why I never got it before....

Hankmacaw likes this.
  11. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Tailgating Party! I Can't Stop Posting!

Sandra
    Doesn't have any smell to it and there are 2 types - one is a leave on and the other is a spray, leave on and rinse. Both are vet level disinfectants/cleaners.

sunnysmom and Hankmacaw like this.
  12. finchly

finchly Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Vendor

Tanya
    Do you own a steamer? That will work if you don’t have F10. The F10 kills more germs but since it is someone you know you’d prolly know if their birds were ill.

Mizzely and sunnysmom like this.
  13. sunnysmom

Michelle
    I don't have a steamer but that's probably something I should think about getting in the near future too. Thanks.

finchly likes this.
  14. Peachfaced

Peachfaced Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran Vendor Tailgating Party! I Can't Stop Posting!

Sadie
    Do you guys use the general purpose strength for cleaning perches, or do you use a higher concentration?

15. Mizzely

Shawna

Since I'm using it for disinfecting a few times a year per habitat, I use it at 1:250 vs the 1:500 for general cleaning. If I was using it more routinely I'd use it at the lesser concentration

SandraK and Peachfaced like this.
  16. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    Use a wire brush with your cleaner.

17. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

laurie
    I you want to use b/4 you get f10, scrub really good with dawn dish soap and hot water rinse until no more bubbles. Bake in oven 250 degrees for 25 to 45 minutes, turn off oven let it cool in oven.

Peachfaced and SandraK like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)