• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best therapy ever!

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Just a bit of your time..........

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a sweet day that must've been! Sun snuggling... :hug1:

I hope one Paco.will let me touch him. One time he did.
It takes time. I think you mentioned 6 months w/ Paco not to long ago in a post...
Buddy was showing promise @ 6 months, then w/ antibiotics he needed we backslid a bit. Then around 1 year things went banana's & would take a step or 2 back. It's kind of like a speedometer... depending on them, their trust, then them testing your reaction, & it rocks between those things. Pavo is ultimately in charge of that gas pedal because he judges you & what you do, & ultimately how much "He's" going to trust you. Being cage bound & possibly abused for his age, it's going to take more work but each time he tests you & you pass it will help excellorate things along. I think you are making good strides w/ him. The fact that his diet is varried proves that. He'd never of excepted your food if there wasn't a part of him that didn't have "some" trust in you. He's just hiding it from you (may be due to the abuse he may have gone thru).

Arno

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Arno
I try and give then some time in the sun every day even if its just for 30min.

The playpen is half in the sun and half in the shade so thay can decide on their own where to play.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Rain Bow Oh good to hear that he trusts me. The little stinker! I always show him his goodie bowl and let him nibble. Then he looks at me when I place it in his cage, like "aren't you going to hold it for me?" He does take food from my hand. If I get to close and he starts to tremble I back up til he stops. His first owners were two men and they got him from a breeder, he has a leg band with numbers and letters but I can't read it. When he was 13 the men gave them to Sandy she had him til he was 19. His cage was in the corner of a living room next to a large sliding glass door. She was working two jobs and no longer had time for him and he started to pluck. He had a filthy water bottle and his cage was horrific. At least 4-6 inches of soiled, chewed up paper. They had plexi glass on the sides of the cage to keep the paper in the cage. It took me two days to get the food and gunk off the cage (she thought it was just old) it did look like rust but it wasn't. Paco even smelled, it was horrible. Her son told me they didn't let him out because of a cat. So I am thinking one, he was cage bound and two he did not have much socialization. He now has two stainless steel bowls and a locked in water bowl. I clean bowls twice a day and paper 2-4 times a day, more if needed. He is out of his cage the minute I'm home til I go to bed. I know I worry, but I to think we have made great progress.
He wakes me up with his, Hoo Hoo Hoo in the morning. I am looking forward to lots of years of companionship with him.

Arno

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Arno
If he didn't trust you then you would not even be able to get close to his cage and he would tremble and scream in fear every time you even get close to his cage.

The fact that you can give food by hand and change his bowls etc already is a sign of trust. One day he will just surprise you and let you scratch his head.

He maybe doesn't even know that he will enjoy it because by the sound of it its been years aince he realy had physical contact.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Oh that's awesome! He has never screamed accept one time, I think he got mad at a toy and scared the living daylights out of me. I did get to scratch his head one time. He will step up but we haven't done much of it. He bit me twice and then I broke my wrist, he accidentally stepped up on the purple cast I had. I was just showing it to him. He can't stand the black brace I'm in now. He would touch his beak in a kiss to previous owner. I haven't tried it since one time I wasn't careful when I first got him and he struck out and got my lip. He is happily chattering right now on top of his cage and he got his shower today. I appreciate your support and advice.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I try and give then some time in the sun every day even if its just for 30min.

The playpen is half in the sun and half in the shade so thay can decide on their own where to play.

mine get a bit of sun every day, provided the sun is shining!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
If he didn't trust you then you would not even be able to get close to his cage and he would tremble and scream in fear every time you even get close to his cage.
I think you are mixing things up. That is not trust. That is accepting you.
If they trust you, you can touch them and do whatever you want with them. (normal things for that specie)

A faster way to build trust is to do things that make you trustworthy but at same time never demand, or enter their private sphere until they are begging/asking you for it.
So skip step ups, they will not create trust. Often only bites because trust isn't their when you are demanding it.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
You have to let them go at their own pace and prove you are trustworthy and fun to be around, good things happen when they are with you. It can take time and patience, or you might get lucky and he decides your a worthy friend and chooses you right away but it takes as long as he chooses. Lurch, a Maxi Pionus, took about 5 years but he was a used parrot with a lot of baggage.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
True @Dartman I had a wild caught Amazon. I friend bought her from a pet store, I had no history on her at all other then my friend did not like the bird, she was a screamer and not socialized. They left her upstairs in a bedroom alone. When I got her she was too scared to get out of her cage. After 25 years she would fly to my shoulder, climb her tree and take a peanut. I was never allowed to touch. The vet assured me she had a happy healthy life. I had to put her down due to severe gout. I could never convert her to a healthy diet. I have no idea how old she was.

Paco is coming along nicely I think. I am working on spending more and more time with him. I admits sometimes I forget to talk to him. Bugsy (Amazon) was a screamer not a talker. Interesting to know about the difference in trust and acceptance. I just love these parrots and learning more about them.