• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best PVC Pipe Cutter?

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Yesterday I was surprised to be told by my mother that I should not spend my own money on bird toys when I can ask for them for Christmas. Not that I have anything wrong with this at all. In fact, the other day I posted something saying that I actually really wanted to ask for some stuff for the birds for Christmas, as I have no idea what I want and seeing my birds enjoy some new toys and accessories would be a good enough present for me. :) But the reason it was so surprising was because last time I tried asking for something for the birds for Christmas I was told no.

Now, I'm excited! I've been wanting to make or get so many things for them (playstand, climbing net, some more toys and perches, bird room - :( if only I could ask for a whole bird room for Christmas!). ;)

So, ever since my mom told me, I've just been looking around the web at homemade bird toys and stands and stuff. I noticed that a lot of the things I want to make for the birds are made out of PVC pipe (playstand, hanging atom toy, window perch, etc). So I'm thinking I'm going to need to get a PVC pipe cutter, but I don't know which is the best. I need one that can cut 1" PVC pipe and less (I'll probably be using 1/2" pipe for most things, but just in case I ever use a larger pipe, I would like to be able to also cut it with the pipe cutter). I don't want it to cost too much, but I, of course, want a good one. What are the cheapest and best? What do you use? Any help is appreciated! :)

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I don't have the packaging for it anymore, but for some bird projects we just picked up one for 15$ or so at Menards (don't know if that's just a midwest thing?). It does the job, and it certainly beats using a hacksaw! My dad (I let him do all the tool shopping:lol:) worked in the trades from the time he was 18 until he was 51 (due to a work accident) and a lot of that time he was a plumber, so I'd like to hope he knows his stuff! It was the 2nd cheapest one they had, and we've used it a lot!

I think it might be this one? Pretty similar anyway. https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...38-c-8610.htm?tid=1581502849159352523&ipos=33

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
I don't have the packaging for it anymore, but for some bird projects we just picked up one for 15$ or so at Menards (don't know if that's just a midwest thing?). It does the job, and it certainly beats using a hacksaw! My dad (I let him do all the tool shopping:lol:) worked in the trades from the time he was 18 until he was 51 (due to a work accident) and a lot of that time he was a plumber, so I'd like to hope he knows his stuff! It was the 2nd cheapest one they had, and we've used it a lot!

I think it might be this one? Pretty similar anyway. https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...38-c-8610.htm?tid=1581502849159352523&ipos=33
Thanks for the help! :)

vanyasmom

Walking the driveway
I am heading to Lowe's this afternoon to get that VERY THING!!!!!!!!!! A PVC pipe cutter - the one I want to get is one that will cut up to 1 1/4" pipe. It has 4 1/2 stars. And is only $17. Also you will need to get vet wrap. I don't know if there is a feed store near you - where they sell horse feed. They have good prices on Vet Wrap. It comes in WONDERFUL colors!!!!! Pink, Blue, Purple, Camo - which is more pricey than the solid colors.

Shop BrassCraft 1-1/4-in PVC Cutter at Lowes.com

Vet wrap also comes in handy if you get a cut on a place that is difficult to bandage, or where a bandaid does not stay well. Vet wrap is great!!! Also, vet wrap is cheaper than the equivalent that they sell for people and the one for people doesn't come in fun colors. :)