• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best mess cleaning tools???

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
You big bird owners are cracking me up with the walnut shells, but I get it.
Let's see....last night, I didn't want to disturb anybody, but the bird room was a MESS! Broom, dustpan, and I decided to change all the floor papers as well.
This morning, some vacuuming - fluffy white bird down all over the place, and then was on hands and knees scrubbing the floor with a rag, 'cause Luna doesn't always poop above the floor papers. Then, I remembered to get the poops off our non-operable ceiling fan - Luna enjoys perching there too. I'll bet we have the only ceiling fan in town that gets a daily *dusting.*

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I've been using denture brushes for scrubbing toys and in between bars because they're stiffer than a regular toothbrush, angled to save knuckles and has a smaller brush on the back and some have a rubber pick on the handle:

I've been meaning to try the detailing brushes @CupcakeKeator uses. They look about the same size as my beloved denture brush but tougher and she says they haven't harmed the cage coating.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I almost ordered one of those! :eek: I didn't think it could do the job so I skipped it. I'll toss one in the cart for next time. :thumbsup:

Does the cover come off & go through the wash or do you need to buy replacements?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I almost ordered one of those! :eek: I didn't think it could do the job so I skipped it. I'll toss one in the cart for next time. :thumbsup:

Does the cover come off & go through the wash or do you need to buy replacements?

Machine washable :D

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I have a Bissel Pet Hair Eraser upright. Cleans up everything from pecan shells to wood chunks. My Ekkies throw food around (total slobs, but adorable) and this vac has never clogged. The plastic canister empties easily too which is good since I don't want chewed food sitting in it!

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I have both a Mini Shop Vac and a nice Hoover upright that does a very good job. That said The Feathered Ones have killed 6 vacuums in 15 years. I have a steam cleaner that I was told was "The Greatest thing since sliced beard" and find it great for A BAR or A FEEDER DOOR useless for a cage though.

When I really need a big job done right, and cages count , I take the birds and all the toys out of the cage, and then shove the cage out the door and take a hose, buckets of hot soapy water with brushes and rags to it. Now this is only a every other month deal and I have to forgo it in winter (hard to wash anything with ice cubes and snow :blink: ) but I have found no other way that work as well...though I have heard that pressure washers work well...might have to get one. :facepalm:

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I have both a Mini Shop Vac and a nice Hoover upright that does a very good job. That said The Feathered Ones have killed 6 vacuums in 15 years. I have a steam cleaner that I was told was "The Greatest thing since sliced beard" and find it great for A BAR or A FEEDER DOOR useless for a cage though.

Ah ha my 5 kids in the house at the same time killed 1 vacuum/yr and also 1 washer/yr and every 2 years a dryer .... didn’t matter the brand make or model they were goners!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Dyson has been the best machine I've ever had.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I put down washable piddle pads at high traffic "drop" points and just change them out every morning when I change their papers. Makes the weekly vacuuming and cage sanitation a lot easier. Their room has carpet so this has been a life saver!

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I have carpet protectors under the cages, The things office chairs roll on. All I have to do is git the plastic a shot of water and let it sit a couple of minutes and it wipes right up.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
The fids don't chew it up? Cuz that sounds like a great idea!

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
No it's very thick and a hard plastic. Plus I have 3 Cockatiels, a Red fronted Kakariki, and a GCC all smaller birds. Now what a Macaw, 'Zon, 'Too or Gray could or would do I can't say.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I think I'm going to pick up a couple and just keep a close eye on them. They cut down a 4' spruce tree in about a week so who knows!

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I think I'm going to pick up a couple and just keep a close eye on them. They cut down a 4' spruce tree in about a week so who knows!
What kind of Woodpeckers do you have and can you post a photo? :laugh: Your parrot took a 4" tree down. Is his name Paul by chance? :rolleyes:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Can I get poly carbonate mats at Office Depot or Home Depot?

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
What kind of Woodpeckers do you have and can you post a photo? :laugh: Your parrot took a 4" tree down. Is his name Paul by chance? :rolleyes:
i have to take them every 3 months to their avian vet for a beak and nail trim. Lucy's beak seems to grow very fast and is thicker than most (according to her vet anyway). My willow tree was over 7' when I moved it into their room. Now it's barely 6' and looks pretty sparse. Thinking of getting a rake for the carpet!