• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best mess cleaning tools???

M_Riddly

Strolling the yard
So recently, my vacuum cleaner broke. Thank god. That thing was the stuff of nightmares. It constantly fell over (it wasn't an upright, it was one of those super old ones) and lost suction all the time. Things got stuck in the hose and it had a gajillion attachments that you had to use to work the vacuum AND it weighed a couple tons. It was horrible. I am just wondering what vacuum cleaners you guys use or if you have some other way to clean you use? I have carpet but am working on turning it into laminent. What works?

M_Riddly

Strolling the yard
I've heard shop vac's are good but I want an upright vacuum. I'm over lugging around the rolly bodies.

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I got a monster power vac that’s commercially rated for cleaning large bars ... I love my macaws but not cleaning up after them

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Putty knife. Best tool going. :)

M_Riddly

Strolling the yard
Hmm. Ok. So it seems shop vacs are the consensus. I was really hoping not to get one of those. I want an upright vac. Ugh. Yay me.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well like I said I use a Shark, which is an upright :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How much was your shark? Does it ever get clogged?

$150. I don't have many problems when using it as an upright, but if I use the hose I apparently get too ambitious and do clog it occasionally

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Hmm. Ok. So it seems shop vacs are the consensus. I was really hoping not to get one of those. I want an upright vac. Ugh. Yay me.

I do use an old dyson and it works pretty well except it clogs on walnut shells and mac nuts ... for those it’s definitely a shop vac.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I do use an old dyson and it works pretty well except it clogs on walnut shells and mac nuts ... for those it’s definitely a shop vac.

Yeah, for walnut shells, etc. you definitely want the 2.5" hose, not the smaller ones.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Dyson.

I bought one last year during the black Friday sales. I bought it on line from the company WITH a fantastic attachment that can be used on hardwood floors.

We went from carpet to the flooring that looks like wood but isn't, and you have to treat it like wood. Hubby likes to run the Dyson and says it is better than a broom.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa

Idk-if this thing can vacuum lawns maybe it’s worth a shot. and it picks up leaves, sticks, and yep bird poop!

Review:

BySabrina D.on March 24, 2015
Verified Purchase
So after humming and hawing about buying this vac, literally for three months I decided to take the risk. The reviews are terrible. I think this vac is awesome. It's suction is awesome for our astro turf grass on our rooftop deck. It picks up bamboo leaves, twigs, bird poop, bird seed, small bugs and rocks. It was simple to put together. It doesn't fall over on me, though I'm sure if the bag were to get full I can see how it would. This is a great purchase and it's great for what I needed it for.
Read less
30 people found this helpful