• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best full spectrum light

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My cockatiels have a preening gland that not only can I see, but I can see them using it too.

I also think lightning that gives them full vision and a high CRI index is important, but I’m unclear, what lights can do this with zero flicker?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My cockatiels have a preening gland that not only can I see, but I can see them using it too.

I also think lightning that gives them full vision and a high CRI index is important, but I’m unclear, what lights can do this with zero flicker?

Technically no bulb that is connected to an AC outlet is flicker free. AC being of course Alternating Current which is what our homes use. You would need to be connected with a Direct Current set up to avoid it completely.

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
Don't bother. The health benefits from a small artificial light is almost not measurable. Feed TD a nutritious diet and add vitamin D if its lacking. Does he eat pellets?
I agree wholeheartedly. I wouldn't waste my money. A good diet is all they need.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I
Powder down and preen glands aren't mutually exclusive.. cockatiels do have a uropygial gland. Not sure what the person writing the DrsF&S article was smoking.
I agree with this now. I have been watching Tau preening this morning. It's not obvious - there's no rolling of the head over the gland - it's more milking the gland with the beak.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
but I’m unclear, what lights can do this with zero flicker?

Technically no bulb that is connected to an AC outlet is flicker free. AC being of course Alternating Current which is what our homes use. You would need to be connected with a Direct Current set up to avoid it completely.
True. Even the high frequency lighting designed for use with birds has a flicker, but it's at such a high frequency they can't see it. Somewhere around 200Hz+ (don't quote me. If that's wrong just correct me)

Last edited:

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
One of my macaws destroyed the lamp and I’m lucky he didn’t get electrocuted!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I guess this posting if now focused on the preening gland. Hyacinth Macaws, Pionus Parrots and Amazon Parrots do not have preen (uropygial) glands. Just to let you know.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Being LED they are likely to be DC and therefore flicker free. 5600K would be good to try, if your birbs don't like it I'm sure you'll be able to put it to good use. Enhanced vision? Yes it'll be brighter.
Really hard to find the full specs on these.

FilmGrade™ Flicker-Free A19 LED Bulb – Waveform Lighting
I like that they are flicker free and have a high CRI. They also have a Centric Daylight Bulb, which seems very similar. They are AC compatible.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
So, if they don't need "special" lights, what kind of bulbs can I use? just regular bulbs?

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I still use avian full spectrum lights not for the health benefits, but so that the birds can see better.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
So, if they don't need "special" lights, what kind of bulbs can I use? just regular bulbs?
I still use avian full spectrum lights not for the health benefits, but so that the birds can see better.
Ditto. There' s nothing better than a splash of UV-A for the general wellbeing of your birbs
However, if you are restricted in budget or just want to use a domestic bulb look for a 'Daylight' LED bulb with a CRI of 95 or higher. Compact flourescents just don't cut it, they could make your birb Ill or cause behavioural problems. Of course your birb will still effectively be colourblind.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
What brands do you recommend?
Arcadia or Avian Sun. I've no experience with the Avian Sun brand, I use the Arcadia Parrot Pro.
It'll also depend where you are in the world. I'm in the UK and these are the brands I see most often here.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
thank you! i have "full spectrum" but I don't think those are right.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
thank you! i have "full spectrum" but I don't think those are right.
Can you post a photo of the packaging?