• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best full spectrum light

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
was your question ever answered?
I'm not sure now what my original question was. My head is spinning with all the places Google has taken me today in researching your replies. :faint: I am working on a list od questions for you guys, if you all don't mind. I just want what will give TD the closest thing to a natural life that I can. I want him to be happy being a bird....

Not sure of my original ?, but I do remember that I was very happy with the answer from @JLcribber !

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
If TD doesn't eat a 100% pellets diet you can add some egg or eggfood.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I should have added that cockatiels, cockatoos and African greys don't make D3 in this way. I was researching for budgies and kakarikis at that time.
Cockatiels, cockatoos and African greys don't use oil. I don't yet understand the mechanism in these birds but I'll look at it in the morning. In the meantime someone else may jump in with that answer.
Yes, no UVB no D3. However many feed mixes will have supplemental vitamins and minerals added. So the feed I use for my cockatiel is designed specifically for that bird and does contain D3. My budgie feed doesn't.
But like I said, it's not all about D3. To me it's more about the UVA and giving my birds a clear and bright environment as similar to outdoors as I can.
Methinks Cockatiels, cockatoos and African Greys do have a Uropygial Gland (preen gland) even though they are powder down birds. Some Macaws, all Amazons and Pionus don't have a Uropygial Gland.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Methinks Cockatiels, cockatoos and African Greys do have a Uropygial Gland (preen gland) even though they are powder down birds. Some Macaws, all Amazons and Pionus don't have a Uropygial Gland.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I did read in a couple of places that powder down birds don't produce any oil. Plus, I'd never noticed cockatiels using it, at least as obviously as other parrots. We're all still learning.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@Mizzely would you mind listing the foods we can feed birds with vit. d3? I know that cod liver oil is one of the best but will the birds like a fishy flavor? Egg yolks is another. (my budges will not eat eggs in any form) Since I feed a pellet that does not supplement D3 I look for food and also the Cal-de-solve but that will soon run out and the prices have been jacked so high its impossible to get any more. Thanks

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This thread is a bit confusing for me, mainly because Vasas are African birds (coming from Madagascar) but they are NOT powder down in any sense, so I don't know how he absorbs vitamin D. Since I can handle him now, I'll be taking him outside quite often once it warms up. He also has an LED light and gets pellets about 3x a week (Harrison's), as well as some egg when I can sneak it in his food, but it does make me wonder why Vasas aren't powder down, even though Greys are. Very confusing, and unfortunately, not enough is known about them for comparison. I guess the only bit of advice I can offer is allowing your bird to get some sunlight a few times a week.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
If TD doesn't eat a 100% pellets diet you can add some egg or eggfood.
TD eats everything! He gets pellets, which he doesn't go crazy over, a seed mix, nutriberries, fresh on the stalk oats, rice, quiona, scrambled eggs, lots of veggies (especially peas). He's not big on fruit, though.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
the only bit of advice I can offer is allowing your bird to get some sunlight a few times a week
I do that when the weather permits, but it has been far too cold these last 3 weeks and the heat from our furnace is so drying. You can hear his wings crackle like paper. I often simmer water for added humidity. He is so dusty my allergies to him are at their worst!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do that when the weather permits, but it has been far too cold these last 3 weeks and the heat from our furnace is so drying. You can hear his wings crackle like paper. I often simmer water for added humidity. He is so dusty my allergies to him are at their worst!
Have you looked into getting a humidifier? That might alleviate some of the dryness.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
This is such an interesting thread... both topics - full spectrum lighting (or not), and the preen glands (or not!)

While I searched google for 'do cockatiels have a uropygial gland' I found 2 conflicting answers back to back (I underlined these.)
Weird huh?
>>>>
Uropygial Gland - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/veterinary-science-and.../uropygial-gland

The uropygial gland is the most prominent epidermal gland in birds and produces a waxy oily secretion via two or more ducts. This oil is spread through the plumage during preening. ... Uropygial or preen glandadenocarcinoma in a cockatiel (Nymphicus hollandicus).

why birds preen and how you can help - Drs. Foster and Smith

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?articleid=3173
www.drsfostersmith.com › ... › PREENING BEHAVIOR IN PET BIRDS Some pet birds (such as cockatiels, some macaws, all Amazons, and some other parrots) do not have a preening gland, but instead have a fine powder down ...

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Powder down and preen glands aren't mutually exclusive.. cockatiels do have a uropygial gland. Not sure what the person writing the DrsF&S article was smoking.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I am in need of new lights for my bedroom. I have a track light system. I was going to get full spectrum but now I'm not sure. Any ideas? I was about to do a thread on this so I'm glad I found this one haha.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
The one I'm using is LE daylight lamps with 6000k. They are not so expensive so I have them in every room in the winter and over my girls cages.
They work well as light therapy. And also plants love them.

Last edited: