• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best full spectrum light

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
As TD cannot be taken outside in this cold weather, I am concerned about his vitamin D. Now that we can afford to have electricity all the time, whether by paying for full hook ups at an RV park or running the generator, I am thinking I should invest in an artificial sunshine substitute. How many of you use UV lights? What brand/size do you recommend?

Thanks!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Don't bother. The health benefits from a small artificial light is almost not measurable. Feed TD a nutritious diet and add vitamin D if its lacking. Does he eat pellets?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I only use full spectrum lightning, (with no UV) most because they need the light to stay healthy in the dark winter.)
I have it over their cages and over the bigger playstand in the livingroom.

I use 6000k. It looks like this:
It's very light but as you can see she don't mind at all. (open cage)
This is also important, so not only that they get their vit D.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Just like John said, the amount of benefit they'd get out of a UV bulb is negligible at best. No "full-spectrum" bulb is going to be able to adequately replace good sunlight, that's why proper diets are so important.

If you're just looking for a bulb to provide adequate light that would mimic the sun, then find a bulb that has a Color Rendition Index (CRI) of 90+ and a Color Temperature of 5000K or greater.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Thanks @JLcribber , @Eloy and @painesgrey! I had heard, long ago, that UV lights didn't do much. This was in reference to reptiles. I worry so much about TD. Because of our lifestyle and because of his really horrible start in life. I do get him outside as often as I can.

@JLcribber he is just getting back to pellets now. I had started him on Zupreme fruity pellets some time ago. He was eating them with no problem. Then came the terrible bird deaths. So I quit buying Zupreme. Since then I have tried every pellet I can find. I sometimes have a problem getting the same food for TD every month. It depends on where we are. We have very limited storage, so I can't buy in bulk. One item that I have been able to get 99% of the time is nutriberries. TD likes them. I have reintroduced pellets recently. This time I tried Zupreme Naturals. He seems to be taking to them quite readily. So, if he is eating pellets do I need to add a vitamin D supplemen?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Full spectrum lighting, by definition, always has some UVA/UVB. Anyone selling an FSL without the ultraviolet is actually selling a 'daylight' lamp (6000K) - which doesn't cost any more than a standard energy saving lamp.
The other thing to be careful of is the mains frequency. In the US this makes normal flourescent lighting flicker at 60Hz. Humans can't see this flicker but our birds can,and it can make them quite sick. So avian lighting is built to operate at a much higher frequency that can't be seen. The principle is the same as with public 'epilepsy safe' lighting.
It's not all about vit D3. Avian lamps also give off UVA light, which our birds can see. Without UVA you bird's vision is restricted on a similar level to being colourblind.
I advocate the correct use of avian lamps. Never use the reptile/aquarium lamps, they can burn your bird.
Not only does vision improve, but also the energy levels of your birds. Feather plucking has also been eliminated in some birds by FSL.
Keep 'em happy, and all good things in moderation.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

This is a very good video to explain why the full spec light bulbs are so controversial. Myself and others have been using LED lighting. I tested the flicker rate of this kind by taking a video in slow motion. The flicker rate is quite low as compared to other lighting in the same category.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
A good read on Vitamin D for caged birds.

ladygouldianfinch.com - Vitamin D in Cage Bird Nutrition

Many types of artificial lights also emit ultraviolet rays, but few of them have the intensity necessary for the synthesis of vitamin D3 on the skin. The presence of short wave-length ultraviolet rays alone is not enough; the intensity of the rays is also crucial. Natural sunlight, of course, has the intensity necessary. A sunlamp also has the intensity, and exposing the birds for less than an hour each day will allow the synthesis on the skin of enough vitamin D3 to keep the birds in perfect health. However, the full spectrum lights do not emit the intensity necessary for the formation of vitamin D3 on the skin. Even the commercial black lights, which emit a very high percentage of light in the ultraviolet range of the spectrum, do not have the intensity required for vitamin D3 synthesis.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Wow. It's so easy to get duped on Amazon. Also a lot of misunderstanding of the terms 'full spectrum' and 'daylight'.
I really felt for the poor bird in that video. Having those three relatively powerful lamps blazing at him from the side and no way to escape.
I'll say it once more then I'm leaving this thread alone. It's heading for controversy.

I advocate the CORRECT use of AVIAN lighting, not plugin replacement lamps.

No responsible parront would expose their bird to FSL 12hrs a day. 4 is more than enough.

Last edited:

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
I'm puzzled by the fact that with the birds fully feathered how does and light get to the skin. I have a friend who is Albino and must be covered up when out in the sun or even a lightly cloudy day. He must take V D as the clothing he wears blocks light.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
@BertAllen That's a great question since we make D3 in our skin. With birds their preen oil contains a previtamin that gets spread on the feathers by preening. The UVB converts this to D3 that the bird takes in orally next time it preens.
Quite simple when you think about it

ETA: During the research I did some years ago a couple of sites claimed that with budgies the UV goes straight through the feathers to the skin. These claims may still exist in one form or another. We know different these days. Needless to say I don't go to those sites any more.

Last edited:

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
That's a great question since we make D3 in our skin. With birds their preen oil contains a previtamin that gets spread on the feathers by preening. The UVB converts this to D3 that the bird takes in orally next time it preens.
Quite simple when you think about it
Wow never knew this, thanks for the info.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Wow, i didn't know that either! Learn something new everyday! So, it stands to reason that if they get no UVB, they get no D3?
I should have added that cockatiels, cockatoos and African greys don't make D3 in this way. I was researching for budgies and kakarikis at that time.
Cockatiels, cockatoos and African greys don't use oil. I don't yet understand the mechanism in these birds but I'll look at it in the morning. In the meantime someone else may jump in with that answer.
Yes, no UVB no D3. However many feed mixes will have supplemental vitamins and minerals added. So the feed I use for my cockatiel is designed specifically for that bird and does contain D3. My budgie feed doesn't.
But like I said, it's not all about D3. To me it's more about the UVA and giving my birds a clear and bright environment as similar to outdoors as I can.

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
But parrots do have skin around their eyes (that can be sunburn from to much sun exposure) and also their feet.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Wow. It's so easy to get duped on Amazon. Also a lot of misunderstanding of the terms 'full spectrum' and 'daylight'.
I really felt for the poor bird in that video. Having those three relatively powerful lamps blazing at him from the side and no way to escape.
I'll say it once more then I'm leaving this thread alone. It's heading for controversy.

I advocate the CORRECT use of AVIAN lighting, not plugin replacement lamps.

No responsible parront would expose their bird to FSL 12hrs a day. 4 is more than enough.

That doesn't touch on the point of the video.. that even the avian lights (featherbrite, arcadia) don't provide enough UV light at the specified distances from the bulb to have any meaningful amount of UV actually reach the bird. I couldn't even find a "max distance" recommendation from Featherbrite, and here's Arcadia's graphic for their Parrot UV bulb:

The birds have to be within 12" of the bulb to receive minimal benefit. How are people meant to make that work when cages are upwards of 36"+ tall?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
As i wrote before avian lighting is a controversial topic. There is much information out there that can be confusing and controdictory.
@Alien J was your question ever answered?