• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best food to buy ?

joojoobeans

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
joojoobeans

I have male pacific parrotlet about 10 months old. He's been eating this since I got him when he was around 4 months old: Hartz: Medium Bird Diet Food, 10 Lb - Walmart.com

but the bag is almost gone and I want to switch to Volkman Avian Science super Parrotlet...
He gets carrots and some other vegetables besides that....

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please do not buy any more of that food as it is low quality for nutrition. I suggest Harrisons extra fine pellets with the red label. Seed is fine, in moderation. Volkmans is a good quality seed and both products cannot be purchased in a pet store.

The diet for this bird is about 70-percent fresh foods including fruit, vegetables, greens, sprouted seed, cooked grains, legumes, whole-grain bread, nuts (limited) and egg food. The remainder of the diet is seed, specifically Volkman’s Parrotlet Super. Supplements are vitamins, calcium (to breeder birds) and bee pollen (pinch), which are sprinkled on the fresh food, and wheat grass powder several times a week added to the egg food. Amazon sells a combo mineral block and cuddle bone for health.

There is more good information here: Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Parrotlets In Aviculture - Caring for Your Parrotlet

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Hi and welcome to the forum, can I assume your cute parrotlet is named "joojoobeans?" He's certainly cute bird. :)

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
Honestly, it hasn't been proven or disproven that pellets are good or bad for the parrotlets. My bird will not eat pellets, so I give him fresh fruits/veggies, and seed. Afterall, there are no pellets in the wild. A good small hookbill mix will include no artificial coloring, and safflower NOT sunflower seeds.

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
This is a good forum. I will try the pellets again. But there is a lot of "debate" around them.... I feed a lot of real food to my fids, they get seed too but I feel like there are no good foods.

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Oh man what a cutie! :D I agree that the Walmart seed mix is definitely not the best, but the Volkman parrotlet blend is good if your guy won't take to pellets. If you do go with only seed, one really great way to boost it's nutritional value is by sprouting! Sprouting reduces the fat, increased the protein, and boosts the levels of key nutrients in seed. Since most seed loving birds will accept it right away, it's a great way to make sure your bird is getting enough fresh food.

Just to give you an idea of what I feed my parrotlet: 1 tbsp "chop", 1 tsp pellets, 1 tsp fresh sprouts, and 1 tsp "other" (e.g. millet, Green Chunks, cooked food mix, Nutriberries, etc).

Variety is probably the most important part of a parrots diet so offering an assortment of different foods along with his seed will ensure he has a balance diet.

Bruce & Karen

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bruce and Karen
Was just reading that parrotlets NEED sunflower seeds.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Was just reading that parrotlets NEED sunflower seeds.
This thread is pretty old, I"m unsure if the OP is still around this forum. I am curious about the source for sunflower seeds?