• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best Cage for an African Grey

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Sponge Bob is not so bad sung by a cute grey!

Axsilver

Meeting neighbors
I really like how the bird sang it in its own voice kinda lazily and then nailed the whistle, hahaha.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I use an indoor aviary for my macaw (different species I know but same concept).
Once I put him in the aviary and saw him use every spare inch of it I realized he could never be in a typical cage. It does take up quite a bit of room but it’s 100% secure and very easy to clean with craft paper over the bottom. I also have a severe macaw who has an indoor aviary to herself and she also uses every spare inch, though she’s quite smaller than the macaw. Sure, some people may think it’s crazy to take up that much room in the home lol but it works for me and I like knowing they’re happy.

Jeff Sexton

Moving in
Real Name
Jeff Sexton
There's a minimum size, but after that give the bird as much space as you possibly can, and then some. I have a double-wide A&E cage in a dining room. The whole room is my grey parrot's space when he is out. There's also a smaller second cage and a play stand, as well as things hanging from the ceiling to play with. He climbs around the entire area with minimal flying.

I found the above photo here:
bastrop cages - A&E Split Level Play Top Cages - Bastrop, TX

...although I bought the cage at a local shop.

Axsilver

Meeting neighbors
Wow, tons of options. I will get the bird as much space as I can. Shouldn't the seed catchers be bigger? It seems like the birds would easily fling food right over them!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Wow, tons of options. I will get the bird as much space as I can. Shouldn't the seed catchers be bigger? It seems like the birds would easily fling food right over them!
Those will be the first thing you get rid of. They don't catch anything. But they sure work well for cutting/bruising/hurting your shins. :)

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Those will be the first thing you get rid of. They don't catch anything. But they sure work well for cutting/bruising/hurting your shins. :)
John, I like to think of them as difficult to clean poop catchers. I do have them on a play stand and they come in handy so Louise doesn't go to the floor, like on day like today where I took a nap. She was able to come into the bedroom and at least hang out. She would fly off and return but not go to the floor. I am sure I will swear loud when I do catch my shins!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
My seed skirts lasted about a week on my first cage. After the 5th or 6th time you bruise or scrape your leg and know the thing off the cage you get rid of it.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I never even put those on when I assemble a cage.

Axsilver

Meeting neighbors
Do you really walk up to the cage close enough to get hit by those? It looks like they dont extend very far lol.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I've never used the seed catchers. They will just catch poop and have to be cleaned. And take up space. I considered putting paper on them but I couldn't even get them on the corner cage when I tried. It was hard enough assembling them by myself but the seed catchers were impossible!

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Do you really walk up to the cage close enough to get hit by those? It looks like they dont extend very far lol.

It's that much further you have to reach in to clean. On large cages it makes a difference.

Axsilver

Meeting neighbors
So, for keeping the flung food and such easier to clean, do you think maybe a large piece of plywood or maybe some newspapers at the very bottom of the cage will be good?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I use packing paper on the bottom of the cages and vinyl chair mats under the cages.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Keep in mind the seed skirt sticks out 4-6 inches on all sides of the cage. So the cage is out 4-6 inches farther than it otherwise would plus another 4-6 inches. It is ankle, shin, or knee height depending on the model of cage, so not directly in your line of vision. A 36 x 24 cage takes up about 45 x 33 inches of space with the skirts. So yes you bump them all the time.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
plywood might disintegrate when cleaning, not sure it would hold up to cleaning/water, it is a pretty porous wood . On what surface will your bird cage be? mine is on an oak wood floor that cleans very will with a mop. vinyl chair mats is a very creative idea for keeping a carpet surface clean! If I had carpet, I would prob make a floor to go under the cage, use vinyl flooring or tiles over a wood base that is larger than the cage.
I take the grate out of the cage and use newspapers on the bottom tray. The grates were hard to keep clean and just don't seem good for their feet.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer