• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best Cage for an African Grey

Axsilver

Meeting neighbors
So, I am on the waiting list for a spring/summer African Grey baby. I want to start setting up my house to accommodate it. First and foremost, a cage, I want to know what the best cage I can get online is. Also, what are some good African Grey house-proofing tips?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A room sized indoor aviary is the best size of cage for your bird. Anything less is a compromise.

Axsilver

Meeting neighbors
I, unfortunately, do not have a spare room in the house. I guess it will have to be a compromise! Luckily, my room will be open to it pretty much 100% of the time that I am home. I was looking more for a brand name of cage, sorry for the misunderstanding.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
No misunderstanding. Well perhaps on your part because you just don't realize that your bird needs as much space as you do. It's not for when you are around. It's for when you aren't (which will far outweigh the time you are there) Over the next 40+ years in order for your bird to thrive (and save some of your sanity) its something you should strive to provide.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sacrifice some personal space and dedicate it to your bird. And put a nice unlocked cage (as a home base)in that environment.

Axsilver

Meeting neighbors
If I move everything in my room around, I should be able to get a 5' by 6' (Maybe 6' by 6') area. That's still not room sized, but its about as large as I can manage. What do you think about just sharing the room with him? My whole room measures about 10' by 12'.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
@Axsilver 32x23 size would be the minimum, larger is better. Here are some new ones that my bird (also a grey) would love.
Avian Adventures Mediana Playtop Bird Cages in White | Petco
Avian Adventures Grande Playtop Bird Cages in White | Petco
1. size. bigger the better. They need to be able to spread their wings. 32x23 is really the minimum
2. style, playtop or dorme. I actually had 2 cages for awhile, one dome top, one play top. The dome one was bigger but when ever she went in a cage to play, it was the playtop. I think it was because it was easier to hang upside down, greys like to hang upside down and attack (noisy!) toys. great fun for them. She also likes to strut on the ladder of the play top and around the the playtop itself.
3. Condition. If buying used, watch out for chipped and peeling paint. The smoother the bars are, the better for cleaning.
4. Color. I bought used and missed out on a really cool blue one, now I am glad. Birds are messy and the white always appears cleaner.
5. Feeder doors and bowls. Greys are partial ground eaters, the playtop is good for that, but she will throw her bowls around and off. She has three feeder doors, two would be the minimum that I would want for her. She only drinks water from the bottom of her cage, I would prefer it in one of the feeder doors as she throws it about once a week creating a giant mess. But she wont drink up in the feeder doors. What Louise wants, Louise gets.
6. Bar spacing, there are minimum and maximum recommended, I don't know the specifics. Louise has 2 sides with horizontal bars, and 2 sides with vertical bars. She can climb both but when she carries food around, it is always on the horizontal bars so she can more easily use her (partially filled) beak.
7. Vertical height of the cage. Big as possible but also think in terms of practicality. Mine is more like the first link, I like the shelves for storing paper. The second one would make it very easy for her to get down on the floor, and that is already a battle. Louise can fly where ever she wants (no hot cooktop landings, she is locked up until it cools). The floor is just dangerous, she can get at cords, outlets, shoes....and worst of all, she could easily be overlooked and stepped on. I also have more trouble controlling the dogs if she gets on the floor where they are at. They are pretty scared of her but even with that she is in serious danger.
8. casters. They should be attached and easily roll. Louise's cage was bought used, it does not easily roll and if I want to take the cage outside for deep cleaning, some fall off so they have very ugly tape to keep them in place.
9. Bar strength. don't buy a flimsy new or used cage. The stronger bars are better for holding up over time, not getting bent, and for ease of cleaning.
10. Aluminum vs steel. Louise has aluminum travel cages and I love them. But I prefer the white powder coat for every day, easier to clean. The aluminum cages are stunning and pricey.
11. Seed catcher. I think they are more of a difficult to clean poop catcher that make the cage bigger to place in a room. I still wish I had them, they would limit her climbing down to the floor or down to chew on the papers on the shelf. Floor playtime is good, I just want to be more in control of it.
I actually want to buy Louise a new cage as hers has an area where the powder coat is gone. Will be interested in what other have to say. If i were to buy today, it would be the first link.
Also consider a play top. Louise has these two:the first one is her sleeper area in my room. Ok, it is for her to play on when I nap.. she prefers the java tree. Either one can be loaded up with toys.
Avian Adventures Recreation Center for Birds in Platinum | Petco
A&E Cage Company Single Java Tree Stand, Small | Petco
I used petco links only because they were the easiest to find. shop around for price. watch out for shipping charges. I think I hear wayfare has the best prices during sales. Thoroughly clean and sanitize anything bought used. People won't necessarily be truthful about why they are selling a cage, an if the previous bird died from something contagious, it puts your bird at risk.
Whew, that was long!

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Depending on how much you want to spend, I would suggest Expandable Habitats Stainless Steel. Three of my five CAGs are very hard on powder coated cages. EH will run you about $3000 but they are a great size and should last a lifetime.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I agree that a bird proofed room is the best thing for a bird, I'm a crazy person who removed all of the furniture from my room (except my desk and my bed) to make it safe for my birds to fly around in. The only time they're in their cages is bed time or when I'm at work. It's nice that we have several play areas the birds can fly to as they please

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
House proofing for a grey. They are very curious. Mine is fearless (except of new toys). Number one threat is open doors or windows, you must ALWAYS be vigilant for an escape. A window screen won't hold up to their beak. Making sure you know where your bird is when you leave or come in is very important. Guests and other housemates must be vigilant. They can fly out the door in a nanosecond. The stories of lost birds is heartbreaking. Dartman and another young man on here lost their birds and they are exceptional and expert bird owners, so it can happen, always minimize the risks.
-Make sure cords are out of reach, especially near cages
- Make sure light fixtures are out of reach. I have to make sure Louise's cage isn't too far forward or she can reach the pendant lights, and she will swing them so they crash into each other.
- Watch what is on the floor. They are foragers. Louise will de-sole my shoes if they are within beak's reach.
- Other animals, especially cats, pose a threat. I have read that just saliva from a cat can be fatal. My schnauzers are afraid of her, but she feeds them so they hang around her cage. I put my desk near the cage so I can always supervise. I know my dogs wouldn't hurt her but I am not willing to take that risk as a predator instinct can kick in anytime. And if she is on the lower part of the cage, they must get away from the cage. I don't know how folks with snakes/esp constrictors, co-exist with birds. That just seems super dangerous.
-Stoves and hot food. Birdie feet can quickly get burned from hot stoves, whether by landing on them or deciding it is a good place to perch. I love Louise, but she is a flying rat--always wants to taste, see, and be near food, (no offense intended for those who keep rats, I may be misinformed but it sounded like a good analogy in my head). Also, especially with a baby bird, food that is too hot can burn their crop. They will dig into food that is offered, so if it is too hot, it is a risk. I always double check food temperature if she is getting something like warm vegetables or mashed potatoes.
-Other birds. Birds don't always get along. Greys are known to only flock with other greys. Supervise carefully when other birds are present and make sure, very sure, they are disease free
-the floor. They are very quiet when walking around and difficult to see. Easy to step on. I have read other stories where birds got sat on or otherwise crushed in furniture.
-wood trim. they are chewers. wood trim on windows and doors is apparently very tasty.
-language. you can try and try to teach them a word and they won't. Swear one time in front of them, and bingo, you have a swearing bird. I tried like heck to make sure Louise didn't say pretty bird. Her favorite person ONE TIME said pretty bird and it is one of her favorite phrases.
-Ceiling fans. If they fly into an on ceiling fan, I don't know how they would survive.
-overall cleanliness. cages should be kept clean and have regular deep cleaning. Today is deep cleaning day and I dread it, but I do it. I also keep floors, counters.... clean. She lands everywhere, cleanliness is important for her and for the rest of the household. Birds are known for their poo and they don't wash their feet.
-showers and bird baths, watch the temperature. Not too hot or too cold.
-things they shouldn't eat. Onions, garlic, chocolate, dairy... the list goes on. Good to google or others can chime in. Too much fatty food can cause fatty liver disease.
-household temperature. Should be kept warm and draft free.
-Teflon cookware. Teflon fumes are fatal. Found most often in cooking pans. Also found in some ovens, toaster ovens, bags for cooking turkey (recent sad stories posted here around Thanksgiving), and in microwave popcorn bags. I bought all new cookware and I hate it, but it is bird safe. Ceramic pans are easy to clean and safe.
-general position of cage. Louise is near a sliding glass door. I had to draft proof it/really caulk from the outside. The other concern is birds, she likes to watch the other small birds and will imitate them. I don't have hawks or crows near but have heard how they can terrorize a bird even if they cannot get access.
-Being outside. Flight risk even if their wings are clipped, they just need the right wind and they are gone. Also they will be hunted by hawks and crows. horrifying videos on you tube.
-Being in a social area. They don't do well unless they are around other beings. Locked in a room alone will lead to poor health and feather plucking. When I am gone, I leave music or tv on.

Having a bird is great adventure, but a huge and long responsibility. Greys can live over 60 years and Louise will easily outlive me. Everyday is a training day for her next home because she will outlive me. Other folks run into trouble with life changes, marriage, divorce, having children, losing jobs, losing their home. Some places won't allow birds because of their noise, so finding a new place to live can be challenging.
Post pictures as you get them of your new bird, we love pictures here!
Good luck. Lots of knowledgeable folks on here, keep asking questions.

Last edited:

Axsilver

Meeting neighbors
@Sweet Louise Thank you so much for the in-depth specifications and examples! Your bird sounds like the opposite of my cat (he will only drink water that's elevated if he can help it). I don't think that I will buy used because I heard that some avian viruses wont die from pretty much anything, and I'll definitely be shopping for price!

@jmfleish When I looked at one of those the price definitely scared me! Those three must be pretty active to tear through the powder coated cages.

@LilSprout When it comes to bird-proofing, what are some of the things that may not be obviously dangerous to the bird or my wallet?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Cage considerations for an African Grey:
I have a Rosebreasted Cockatoo which is similar size to an African Grey. He is in a 42×42 corner cage. Mine is an A & E. (I wish I had payed the extra for a Kings cage because they have a landing platform door within the door). That is the smallest I would go if you can accommodate it. You can also get a square 42×42 (frequently referred to as a macaw cage) or a double macaw cage.

Stainless steel is the best cage material, if you can afford it. A stainless steel cage will last a very long time. I believe expandable habitats is considered the best of the stainless steel cages.

You can also get an indoor walk in aviary. @Macawnutz has some for her macaws.

I am on my phone right now.(supposed to be sleeping because I work nights.) I will try to upload a picture of my corner cage later this week.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
@Axsilver The damage to my powdercoat cage is not from the bird, but from the cage getting banged around I suspect. it had the damage when I bought it. Louise does chew on the bars but does no damage.

@zoo mom, I wish i had the money and space for the walk in aviary. I have looked at the pictures and they are very cool!

Axsilver

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the bird proofing advice! I thought the only safe alternative for teflon pans was cast iron, so I'm really happy that ceramic is an option.

I might have to get a new lock for my door, it seems very easily broken into by a bird. Do you think a CAG would be able to get through a doggie door? We have one in the living room so the bird would never be near it if I'm not supervising, so I'm just curious. In terms of outside, I've heard some great things about bird harnesses, what do you think?

I'll leave the TV on for the bird, even though I fear the day that it starts quoting SpongeBob.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
@Axsilver Louise can open and close her cage door. They might be able to figure out a doggie door. They are smart, inquisitive, and watch everything.
I have a friend who leaves her tv on for the birds and it did pick up language from the tv... But as it is cartoons, it is harmless language, if you love spongbob :)
I have my computer playing music while I am gone. I have several playlists and if I am only gone for an hour or two, I put on a playlist of only her favorites. Unfortunately, her favorites are old time honkeytonk...not my favorite but since she enjoys it, what Louise wants Louise gets...

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Stainless steel pans are also bird safe.

Axsilver

Meeting neighbors
I was just looking at some cookware online, green life ceramic pans look good. Do any of you have experience with this brand of cookware?

I only like SpongeBob in controlled amounts, which is the opposite of what the bird is bound to think. What would be funny is leaving star wars on so that we have a winged Darth Vader roaming the house! It oughtta be fun trying to figure out what kind of music the bird likes.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I have the Kings corner cages for my Timnehs, which are smaller than Congos, and I love them and they use all the space. They are basically 40" x 40" with 1 corner cut off to make a 5 sided cage, 6' high. I don't use the fold down patio doors as I'm afraid it would be too easy for them to figure out how to open them so I have them tightened hard.