1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best bedding for a Baby Parrot

Discussion in 'Nursery Rhyme Drive' started by Small farm, 4/11/18.

1. Small farm

Small farm Meeting neighbors

Braydon
    What is your preferred bedding for baby parrots?

I heard that non medicated chicken starter is a really good bedding as it is... -cheap and easy to clean out
    -if the bird eats/accidentally ingest some it isis just a little more protein and not a big deal
    --readily available

Your thoughts?

2. fidsmom

fidsmom Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Susan
    When I had babies I BOXO Comfort bedding It is made out of recycled newspaper.

iamwhoiam and Small farm like this.
  3. fidsmom

Susan
    Whatever you use Dont use corn cob bedding. That's stuff can be deadly cause if the babies ingest that their stomachs swell and block them from eating. I was very surprised to see that some pet shops still use that

iamwhoiam, Lady Jane and Small farm like this.
  4. melissasparrots

melissasparrots Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

For day one babies, I used to just put them in bowls stuffed with tissues in a little nest shape to support the baby's body. As they age, I put them into a brooder with pine shavings underneath a layer of paper towels. So the baby got the cushioning of the pine shavings with minimal access to prevent ingestion. For large parrot babies I used to shred newspaper into a thick layer on the bottom of the brooder. If an under tank heating pad was used, I'd put a towel under it or a layer of pine shavings, with a paper towel and then a pile of shreded paper over it so that the baby could not likely burrow under and burn itself on the heating pad. I did have a baby nearly die once from swallowing a pine shaving and blocking formula from draining out of the crop. It took me a couple days to get it out because our vet was out of town and I had to do it myself. The baby ended up fine but with terrible stress bars on its feathers and took a week or so of very careful and consistent feeding to get it caught up with its clutchmates again.

iamwhoiam likes this.
  5. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

I used pine shavings for my red-bellies, layers of towels and paper towels for my conure and paper towels for my sparrow.

Lady Jane likes this.
  6. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sandra
    I've always used coconut husk covered with softer sisal in the nestboxes. Dr. Scott disapproves of any type of wood shavings even for adults but I've never asked him why.

iamwhoiam likes this.
  7. fidsmom

Susan
    Also I forgot to mention use a broader pad ,the put the BOXO Comfort bedding on top of broader pad. The broader pad helps as the baby chick's won't slip.

8. MiniMacaw

MiniMacaw Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month BINGO CHAMPION

Lisa
    I am far from an expert on baby parrots but when I brought my macaw home he got a comforter folded on the bottom of his cage. He had a foot injury though so softness was necessary. It required regular cleaning but it worked very well for us.

Macawnutz and iamwhoiam like this.
  9. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Wonder why? Maybe bacterial growth?? Ingestion?? I never had issues with pine shavings. I would remove some shavings every now and then and replace with clean ones. Had to be extra careful, though, but Lucy and Ricky didn't seem to mind. Some birds might.

10. Macawnutz

Macawnutz Seriously Nutz! Super Administrator AA Advertising Exec Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sarah
    They were my babies! Soft baby blankets, the thin ones without stitching. Promptly cleaned as needed. ;)

SandraK likes this.
  11. Macawnutz

Macawnutz Seriously Nutz! Super Administrator AA Advertising Exec Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sarah

Asper. Corn cob, wood shavings & coconut husk can all have asper.

Often with the cheaper wood shavings, if you run a magnet through it there are metal shavings from the cutting blades.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)