• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bernard, my little Linnie

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I'm here to tell you guys about Bernard- my little Linnie. Bernard is going to be 1 years old this Feb.

He's had a rough first year of life.
About 3 months ago, Bernard got his foot stuck in a quick link. His leg band slipped over his foot cutting off the circulation. We fought a hard battle, but he ended up losing his foot. He's managed to adapt REALLY well. He hobbles around, he hangs from the top of his cage, he manages amazingly well!

I'm so proud of him for overcoming his disability. He never acted differently. He managed on his own! I was amazed at how wonderfully he overcame his challenges.

Just today, Bernard has faced another challenge. His other Linnie friends (including the Linnie that he was bonded to, named Gus) really beat him up. They plucked the back of his head. And really hurt his wing. When I found him he was all fluffed up, weak, and bleeding. I was terrified for him. Thank god the second I called my vet he told me to get there as soon as I can. He cleaned Bernard's wing and gave him medications. Bernard again shocked me. When we got home and I put him in his hospital cage, he was back to happy Bernard.

It's about 6 hours after the accident and he's sitting wrapped up in a towel on the chaise with me, chirping and cuddling. I love him to pieces. He's amazing. I'm hoping to convince him that I'm a better thing to bond to than those bully friends of his. I hope I can fill that void for him... and I hope my little guy has no more challenges in his little life.
Here's a pic of him when he had his foot and one after the bandage was taken off after his surgery

Attachments

Last edited:

ParrotletPal

Walking the driveway
I realize your post is very old; however, the info is very new for me. I believe my linnie is going to lose his entire foot due to another bird injuring him ... it gets worse, I believe he will also lose at least one toe on the remaining foot. I love this little guy with all my heart and he is such a gentle creature. I am soul searching and fact researching to decide if his quality of life will be compromised in any way with this sort of debilitating injury. I am keeping my fingers crossed in hopes of finding success stories such as yours. Can you tell me how Bernard's progress has been since the loss of his foot? Did he take a very long time to adapt? What sort of cage adaptations did you make to accommodate his recovery and rehabilitation? I so very much appreciate any advice you could offer regarding this journey we are both about to undertake.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I can't believe there are no other comments on this thread. Bernard!!! :heart: You won my heart the first day I "met" you. You are a fighter :)

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Wow somehow I must have missed this thread... :hug8: Awww little Bernard is absolutely adorable.. :heart: I would put a little platform/flat perch in his cage to help him out with his footies.. Sqwatters Platform Perch Small Medium :)

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Not to worry! My Johari lost her foot and it hasn't been a problem to her at all!!! I put vet wrap on a couple of her perches, she already had rope perches, and gave her a vet wrapped platform perch next to her food and water dishes. She climbs every bit as well as when she had 2 feet. She has bonded with a male lovie since the accident, and happily lays eggs, which she ignores. Doesn't seem to want to brood them...just lay them. She's not allowed any nesting material any more & is not allowed to spend the night in a happy hut. But she still lays eggs. If I still had her I wouldn't let her have a happy hut at all, but I rehomed her because of her HUGE biting problem. She would even chase me & land on me to bite me! She may have only one foot but she still has 2 wings She bites her new parronts, too. But she is nice to her mate. And if you saw the two of them together, I'd bet money that you wouldn't even notice she is a peg leg! She is a very happy little girl now.

Last edited:

ParrotletPal

Walking the driveway
She's not allowed to spend the night in a happy hut. If I still had her I wouldn't let her have a happy hut at all
Hi Bubblelady ... just wondering why you're against happy huts? My parrotlets love them! My linnies used to like them but seemed to have switched and began sleeping in the fold of a roman blind (no cords or lose ropes to get caught in so no worries). Of course, with Yogi on the verge of having probably BOTH feet amputated they are not in the aviary right now but are in a modified cage. Now they both sleep together in a shoebox that they seem to love. Anyway, just wondering about the happy hut part of your comment. Cheers!

FidFlock

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nikki
@ParrotletPal Female birds like to lay in Happy Huts...which is what I believe bubblelady is referring to

Anyway...Bernard is SO cute and sweet, he looks like a darling! Many hopes for a bright future for this adorable Linnie :heart: