• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bender’s new feeding structure

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My GCC bender is middle-aged and his labs came back with bile acid just a hair out of normal range and modestly elevated triglycerides. So time to reassess diet

I used to give him a mix of pellets seed fruit in his bowl, and give him foraging bags with seeds and pellets. He’s always been my good eater but I realized the little bugger was getting too many seeds by tearing through his foraging bags.

So now we have new rules. Bowl is only for fruits/veg and mash, all dry foods (pellets, seeds, uncooked pasta) go in foraging bag. I stuff a paper lunch bag with shredded paper then measure out seeds and pellets and put them in bags. He goes through the whole bag every day!

He is thus far displeased by having to work for all of his junk food!! Every morning when he finds his bowl full of fruits and veggies he’ll eat a few, do his angry dance/grumble, and climb up to rip his bag apart and get the good stuff. He gets his cage paper changed every day and one of his favorite things to do is “fish” by grabbing dropped yum Yums from his cage pan.

His indignace at having to work for his food like a peasant cracks me up! But it also means he spends a good part of his day looking for food like they do in wild, and is eating healthier overall.

He also seems to rather enjoy being indignant and I have fun watching him forage. Cheap entertainment and healthier bird - win for all!

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
Sounds like my Walter when he went off a full seed diet. Our little conure loves his pellets and won't forage for seeds (I know like from one extreme to another). We put his pellets all around for foraging. Keep up the good work and it will pay off even if he has to pout. They can be so Dramatic!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Haha :rofl: I love the grumble of a unimpressed gcc it’s cutest noise never when they tell you off

Sounds like he secretly loves his foraging bag could you post a picture please

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I think whoever wrote angry birds had a conure - they angry grumble and it’s hilarious.

These are extremely angry grumbles. We call this the rusty engine in my house.

Foraging bags are just paper lunch sacks filled with shredded paper (shred plain paper in shredder) and food:

Gives him something to do, keeps him active, and gives him something to be dramatic and indignant about, which he enjoys!

Last edited:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I think whoever wrote angry birds had a conure - they angry grumble and it’s hilarious.

These are extremely angry grumbles. We call this the rusty engine in my house.

Foraging bags are just paper lunch sacks filled with shredded paper (shred plain paper in shredder) and food:

Gives him something to do, keeps him active, and gives him something to be dramatic and indignant about, which he enjoys!
He’s like how dare you make me work for food haha :rofl:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I've never heard any of those vocals from my 2.

Nice papper bad foraging!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
My GCC bender is middle-aged and his labs came back with bile acid just a hair out of normal range and modestly elevated triglycerides. So time to reassess diet

I used to give him a mix of pellets seed fruit in his bowl, and give him foraging bags with seeds and pellets. He’s always been my good eater but I realized the little bugger was getting too many seeds by tearing through his foraging bags.

So now we have new rules. Bowl is only for fruits/veg and mash, all dry foods (pellets, seeds, uncooked pasta) go in foraging bag. I stuff a paper lunch bag with shredded paper then measure out seeds and pellets and put them in bags. He goes through the whole bag every day!

He is thus far displeased by having to work for all of his junk food!! Every morning when he finds his bowl full of fruits and veggies he’ll eat a few, do his angry dance/grumble, and climb up to rip his bag apart and get the good stuff. He gets his cage paper changed every day and one of his favorite things to do is “fish” by grabbing dropped yum Yums from his cage pan.

His indignace at having to work for his food like a peasant cracks me up! But it also means he spends a good part of his day looking for food like they do in wild, and is eating healthier overall.

He also seems to rather enjoy being indignant and I have fun watching him forage. Cheap entertainment and healthier bird - win for all!
This is pretty brilliant!

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love this and am totally stealing this!

I've used plain paper cupcake liners like this for both dry food and chop but never thought of going bigger!

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Great idea with the paper bag! He's so cute. <3 I love a cinnamon :heart:

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ok I didn't even make it off the counter before Opie wanted to tear into this! I was making this one for Cotton who gets very intrigued by layers and hidey holes, but this guy couldn't resist! Thanks for the idea!

1000007811.jpg

1000007813.jpg

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ade the bad
:facepalm:

Right after I posted that, Opie climbed to the top of the toy hanger (and he is NOT a graceful pole dancer like Cotton lol), tried to hang upside down to get to the bag, wobbled, flew off a few feet to reassess, and in doing so his wing flaps made the bag swing.

He startled and flew screaming into the kitchen, scaring the dickens out of Cotton, and is now atop a cabinet yelling "YOU OK?!? YOU OOOKKAAAAAY????"

This didn't stop him from coming back to chow down though!
:laugh:

Brilliant idea!

1000007817.jpg

1000007818.jpg

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
We are going to try this as well but in the mean time we gave our conure a whole uncooked Brussel sprout and he has played with that "ball" for like two hours now. I don't think we are eating much but we are sure having a great time.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Ade the bad
:facepalm:

Right after I posted that, Opie climbed to the top of the toy hanger (and he is NOT a graceful pole dancer like Cotton lol), tried to hang upside down to get to the bag, wobbled, flew off a few feet to reassess, and in doing so his wing flaps made the bag swing.

He startled and flew screaming into the kitchen, scaring the dickens out of Cotton, and is now atop a cabinet yelling "YOU OK?!? YOU OOOKKAAAAAY????"

This didn't stop him from coming back to chow down though!
:laugh:

Brilliant idea!

View attachment 440500

View attachment 440501
Cotton face not happy oh my goodness the young one these days :rofl:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
We are going to try this as well but in the mean time we gave our conure a whole uncooked Brussel sprout and he has played with that "ball" for like two hours now. I don't think we are eating much but we are sure having a great time.
Remi loves sprouts but I cut them into fours thinking a may try a whole one now