• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bella injured herself today

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I am devastated. I have had a heating lamp over Bella's cage since I've had Buddy, so at least 8 years. It is one of the clamp on lamps. I don't know why but today, at 3am, I heard a blood curdling scream and found Bella impaled on the clamp trying to get the rubber off of the clamp. I got her to the emergency vet who was an idiot. Instead of just taking care of Bella, she lectured me on not giving her a total pellet diet. It turned out that Bella needed to have anesthesia. She lacerated her mouth, tongue, and crop. She made it through the surgery well and is acting goofy but is more awake. The vet actually wanted me to give her baby food for the week and didn't know the difference between skin and feathers. Bella will be seeing the regular vet this week. And of course it started to snow while I was driving her home. This has been a nightmare. But I am grateful that Bella didn't hurt herself worse. But now I need your help. I was told that I can feed her soft foods. Does anyone have any idea for soft foods for a person who does not have a kitchen? A pipe burst in my kitchen and now the only working appliance is the refrigerator and the microwave. I did get handfeeding formula as a backup. That and now I have bronchitis. Sorry for dumping but it has really been an awful 2019 so far and you guys are so understanding.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
What a horror story! I'm so glad to hear Bella is okay! You can make oatmeal in the microwave but I don't know if thats soft enough, maybe mashed sweet potato? :hug2:Sending hugs and good vibes!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I’m so sorry to hear that Bella got hurt!:( Oatmeal, sweet potatoes or soft veggies, pasta, and eggs can all be done in the microwave I think. Baby food with low iron maybe? Also, a softly cooked bit of waffle to lift her spirits would be in order! Don’t forget to take care of yourself too!
:sadhug2:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Worldly cuisines makes microwaveable foods too. Call them, they can tell you which ones, only need boiling water added to them.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that Bella got hurt. Good that your were home so you could help her.
Can you soften some pellets with warm water? Make them mushy? Can you nuke some veggies and then mash them up?
I've used organic baby food but I've mixed that into hand feeding formula.
Hope Bella heals quickly.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I am devastated. I have had a heating lamp over Bella's cage since I've had Buddy, so at least 8 years. It is one of the clamp on lamps. I don't know why but today, at 3am, I heard a blood curdling scream and found Bella impaled on the clamp trying to get the rubber off of the clamp. I got her to the emergency vet who was an idiot. Instead of just taking care of Bella, she lectured me on not giving her a total pellet diet. It turned out that Bella needed to have anesthesia. She lacerated her mouth, tongue, and crop. She made it through the surgery well and is acting goofy but is more awake. The vet actually wanted me to give her baby food for the week and didn't know the difference between skin and feathers. Bella will be seeing the regular vet this week. And of course it started to snow while I was driving her home. This has been a nightmare. But I am grateful that Bella didn't hurt herself worse. But now I need your help. I was told that I can feed her soft foods. Does anyone have any idea for soft foods for a person who does not have a kitchen? A pipe burst in my kitchen and now the only working appliance is the refrigerator and the microwave. I did get handfeeding formula as a backup. That and now I have bronchitis. Sorry for dumping but it has really been an awful 2019 so far and you guys are so understanding.
Organic baby food, maybe? The hitch is most tiels prefer seed. Maybe steamed or microwaved veggies like broccoli, corn or peas (maybe mash them) or rice/pasta?

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Omg, feel better soon Bella :heart:

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Oh no! That must have been so scary for both of you. Get well soon Bella! Low iron organic baby food is all I can think of. It can be warmed by immersing the jar in hot water. Hugs to you both!
:sadhug2:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Oh honey, I'm so so sorry.

I don't know about tiels diet but banana maybe? Can you cook part of an organic apple in the microwave and mush it?

I've done sweet potatoes for my amazons in the microwave.

Prayers up for the both of you.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh dear! Poor baby, and poor you,,,scrambled eggs, cooked vegetables, oatmeal, baby bird formula., .brown rice...all can be done in the microwave...did the vet give you metacam and an antibiotic for her? Hope she heals quickly, :hug8:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Ohhhh... Poor honey.... I'm glad she made it through. If she'll eat pellets, you could mix them with some warm water and let them mush, I know that's one of Chirp's favorite soft foods. I don't know if the worldly cuisines are too chunky, maybe you could chop them up fine or put them in a food processor if you have one? Maybe warms sweet potato, rice, pasta, etc?

Big hugs to you and Bella!:hug8:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Sending healing thoughts your way. Poor Bella I hope that you and her both recover fast!!!:sadhug2: