• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Behavioural direction

What is the behavioral tendency of the converged population?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Let me pose a hypothetical question. Lets say you take two brand new, non tame society finches and allow them to breed. You then 100% hand raise the babies to the point that they are the complete opposite of the parents (100% tame). Lets say you then reintroduce all the birds together again and continue to maintain a presence daily with them. What do you think the outcome will be? Would you expect the babies to start to drift towards the non tame end of the spectrum? Would you expect the parents to drift more towards the tame end? Or would you expect them to reach some sort of tameness/behavioral equilibrium? I am tending more towards all birds moving to the non tame end of spectrum, but its an interesting question. Thoughts? Though this is a hypothetical, its not an uncommon occurrence, so I am sure someone out there has experienced this exact scenario. If so, what were your results? I'm curious which behavior is dominant.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have an untame quaker (Bobber) that only tends toward tame because he sees my tame quaker (Jingo) interacting with me. Bobber is much more interested in trying to push past his normal boundaries when Jingo is interacting with me. If I try to work with Bobber when Jingo is not in the room, he is not interested. So my vote is tend towards tame. If the non tame birds see you interacting with the tame ones, they will start to see you as less of a threat.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I don’t “think” — I know the answer. Most tend back toward wild/flock behavior. Hand raised does not equal tame, unfortunately.

This is with finches. Other species may vary.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Finches are not parrots.

Sopciety are one of the calmest species- however.... The parents will kill the babies.
Over time they will be plucked and mutilated, or the tame one go wild.

I have hand raised over 100 babies- its just the way it is (BTW hand raising a finch is not a 'fun' experience.... even if you do get through the hand feeding (every 2 hours- even through the night for months) then you have to try and wean them......the failure rate is over 80%..... I never lost a baby, but I was a dedicated breeder)

Last edited: