• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Behaviour

Jacs

Moving in
Real Name
Jackie Hearne
Hi there could anyone please advise me on I have two conures one green cheek and one pineapple thay have been great friends since babies I house them both together thay have eat sleep together take time to groom each other but the last few days my pineapple conure won't have my other conure next to him or her not sure what sex thay are Belleville keeps flying away from him their is no sign of aggressive behaviour but alot of chasing could anybody advise

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sometimes birds who have been together for a long time and have gotten along well just decide, for whatever reason, that they don't want to hang out together any more. It's just like what happens between people. It might be a temporary thing or it might be permanent. It's good, though, that there is no aggressiveness. You may have to wind up separating them if they are not happy together.
On the other hand, sometimes birds don't want to be around each other because one of them is ill. Are either of the birds showing any signs of illness? Are they eating, drinking and pooping normally and is their activity level OK?
I had groups of red-bellies together for many years and then suddenly they started fighting with one another and I had to separate them. One of the behaviors I noticed before the aggressiveness was that they were chasing each other and not in a playful way.

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
@iamwhoiam has a very good point, I agree that you should rule-out illness , the one being chased is potentially not well. Avian Veterinary "well bird" exam is something to consider.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Suggest you get a DNA for both birds. You should know what to expect as they age. Hormonal behaviors are better understood once you know the gender. You can also do the home DNA test via a pulled feather. I did it with no problems.

Jacs

Moving in
Real Name
Jackie Hearne
Thanks everyone for your reply am very great full theirs no sign of any illness thankfully this morning both birds are sitting by each other on their swing I think now bell just had an off day I panick alot over them their my world thanks again

Jacs

Moving in
Real Name
Jackie Hearne
Can anyone advise on how to pull feather out will this hurt my bird on doing this and where would I send it to thankyou

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Avian Services Center: DNA sexing and disease testing for all species of birds. This is the US based lab that does the job of DNA testing on birds for various reasons like DNA. If you live outside of US I cannot advise you.
The test kits are free if you call them and ask for one or sign up on line. In the test kit you will find directions. The number of feathers that must be pulled depends on the species of bird. At the time I was doing a lovebird and I think the feathers had to be at least 8. Since my lovebird was young and new in my home I elected to go to my avian vet to pull the feathers. He pulled several with an instrument he had, sorry I don't know the name of it but a pair of tweezers would work. The feathers must be freshly pulled, not found on the cage bottom. It took about 2 weeks to get results. The cost US for one test was around $26. My vet told me he would not vouch for the accuracy. I took this with a grain of salt because the vet charged $55.00 to do the test by blood. This company has been in business a long time and has a good reputation so I did not doubt the results.

Last edited: