• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Behavioral questions

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Hey all!

So here is a recording of that shrieking call I was telling you about. This morning it happened when we were outside and I stepped in for my water bottle. While I recognize there's the chance this might be his "there's something coming at me" call, this is a noise I've only ever heard him do when my husband or I (usually me) leaves the room he's in. Usually, it's when he's out and one of us leaves the room... He doesn't generally make this noise when he's in his cage and one of us leaves. So I'm wondering if maybe he's calling to us? What do you guys think?

P.S. there's nothing to look at in this video, it's strictly audio.

This sounds like a classic contact call. Totally normal. When Neptune calls I call his name from the other room. I say, "Neptune, Neptune!" It can be hard for a bird to be home alone. Paulie is still a baby and will not have confidence to be alone. Parrotlets do grow into more independent birds. You will see this when he is around 5 months or so and will start rejecting more head scratches. I think it is important to establish a few boundaries so that he can learn to play on his own.

Also I am pretty sure I wrote your boyfriend before. I am so sorry about that! I didn't realise he is your husband. :facepalm:

Last edited:

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
[QUOTE/]Also I am pretty sure I wrote your boyfriend before. I am so sorry about that! I didn't realise he is your husband. :facepalm:[/QUOTE]

:roflmao: don't worry yourself too much @fashionfobie ... It was not my husband you wrote too. He's not a part of this forum. ;)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes!

Think of this. If you’re in a room calling for someone, you want them to answer right?

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
@finchly
No, he wasn't clipped before I got him... He was just a baby. I suppose he's still developing his muscles. He's just got so good and fast so quick it's hard to imagine he still needs to develop his flying muscles. Lol!

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
Right! That makes sense... Okay, I just wanted to be sure this call was pretty normal. He'll be about 8 or 9 weeks this coming Saturday. :heart::heart:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Right! That makes sense... Okay, I just wanted to be sure this call was pretty normal. He'll be about 8 or 9 weeks this coming Saturday. :heart::heart:
Awww so sweet! I love this age. Mine is 10 weeks