• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Behavior

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
My roommate has an African gray. I've known her over a year. She was once tame, but my roommate went for a long time without handling her. She is sweet, she is not aggressive, but once I offered my arm for her to step up on, and she pinched very hard, and refused.
The past few days, she's been sneaking up on me, and gently touching me with her beak, on my arm, back and even butt. She leans toward me as if she wants me to have her step up, but I'm afraid. (Don't like the big beaks). I play with her, talk with her, clean her cage, and dance with her.....but don't put hands near her.
If she gets off her cage, my roommate has her step up, but that's seldom, so she's still not handled much.
Is she giving me a sign of trust, and wanting me to have her step up? Or is she my being playful?? Should I offer my arm, or keep my distance? Id love to have more interaction with her, but again, scared of the big beaks.....

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
@Darklotus555 - if she is gently nudging you then she is asking for interaction. I would say you are safe to offer your hand for her to step up and be sure to ask gently but firmly. Try to mimic however your roommate holds their hand out for the to step up. ie. if your roomie offers the edge of her hand with fingers closed (like a handshake) then offer your hand the same way. Be confident & relaxed. I know that sounds hard but she’s already pinched you so you already know the worst that can happen and it really doesn’t sound that bad. My ex’s grey drew blood when he was unhappy with me so you are nowhere near that. She sounds like a sweet girl. Get both of your confidences up by having her step up and carry a little bit then step down, repeat. If she stays receptive eventually she may bend her toward you for a scritch. As long as you stay calm & relaxed she will and should allow more and more interaction. Since you seem to be doing all the work - you def deserve some of the rewards. Remember it’s just a Grey. The beak is nowhere near a macaw lol. (And I agree- the CAGs/TAGs beaks are big as I want to go). Good Luck & happy times ahead of you!

Kodigirl210

Ps. I’m not saying to rush to try and scritch her. I’m just letting you know that as you both get more confident and comfortable with each other - you may experience that joy as well. It could be a couple weeks to a couple months. No one can say but the more you two mesh, the more likely happier things will happen. You could also try interacting with a favorite toy with her. Jake used to love playing “fetch” with some plastic keys. Even though I was never able to pet Jake , I could carry him around. Put him in his cage, take him out, put him on his perch and play interactively with toys with him. I wish only the best for your budding friendship!

AviMom

@Kodigirl210 thank you so much for giving me encouragement to further my relationship and interaction with Sangria. I think she is so amazing, and so smart. If I never hold her, I will still enjoy every minute we spend together.
Every one of the birds in our flock are unique, and simply adorable. Each personality so unique and special.
I've heard it here on AA birds are like bank accounts. The more you invest, the greater the return. It's so true.
I will try offering my hand to her next time she acts like she wants to step up and see what happens. I always move slowly, gently, quietly, and cautiously. I just need work on my confidence, lol.

Kodigirl210

@Darklotus555 - Sangria sounds like she could have another good friend. Gentle & quietly very good. Cautious is a red flag. They sense hesitancy. That’s why you could always start out with a favorite toy that you can interact with her on. Or you could try doing a little target training. It might make you a little more comfortable if you knew you could direct her where you might want her to go without having to touch her. Another good confidence builder for both of you. I know there are some good YouTube’s on target training. There are kinds of ways to go with Sangria but I’m happy that she has shown the interest & taken the first step by approaching you for attention :)

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Definitely keep trying. She sounds very interested in you. Many birds will bite at some point in their lives. It's not always/is rarely a sign that they are/will always be like that. Sounds like it was her one-time/first-time test of you.

Good luck.

AviMom

I didn't see the last few responses. I appreciate the advice and help. I've known Sangria for over a year. I got my roommate to start interacting with her more again. Long story. But I came here tonight to say Sangria stepped up on my arm tonight. She had flown to another cage in the bird room. When I went to check the birds and turn out the light, she was on the side of the conures cage. I walked over, held out my arm, and said "step up", and she stuck her foot out. She stepped up, and I carried her to her cage.
Every time before, I'd use her food dish to have her step onto. Tonight I took a deep breath, and decided tonight was the night. She usually nips when on her cage, but steps right up for a ride back home, lol. At least I had her for a few moments, and it was a great few moments!!!
I'm not stopping there, but not rushing either.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Awesome! That’s huge! Congrats!

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:ygg:

AviMom

So its been a long time, but with so many birds, somethings move to the back burner unfortunately and when it hard, theyre the things. Today i decided i would try again with Sangria. She was on top of her cage. I took her food bowl, and said step up. She stepped right up. I held her up to the top of the cage and said step up. She stepped right up. I held my arm up and asked wanna step up on me? And said come see me, step up. She stepped right up. I held her for 20 mns, talking to her, getting her to dance, walking around, and she didnt want to step back onto the cage. I took her food bowl again, and held it up, saying step up, and she did.
I know its not much, for me though, its huge. I plan on doing this every day until we both learn
YAY!!!
:dance4::heart::D:p