• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Behavior issue! Anyone see this before?

Teressa

Moving in
Real Name
Teresa
Okay...here is my problem. I rescued a 2 year old female cockatiel 3 months ago. She is doing pretty good, I can get her on my finger and she actually wants to be around me. I decided to get a male and I believe it may be 4 years old. They seem to get along being able to get close in the cage and no signs of aggression. So here is the problem....Bandit (my male) will whistle a tune. I’m not sure if it is a mating call or just a variety of things he has learned. Pretty Bird (my female) will immediately take off as soon as he starts whistling. If she is in the cage and it is open she will “run” lol to get as far away from him as possible. If the cage is closed, she will “run” to the opposite corner. I have thought she is scared of him because she has never been around another bird, let alone a male. Any suggestions or ideas on what’s going on and how long this will continue? Pretty Bird has never laid an egg to my knowledge. Also could she just be playing hard to get?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I decided to get a male and I believe it may be 4 years old.
When did this happen?

Your existing bird has probably never seen another like itself (sadly). You've had her a very short time (3 months is nothing) and this latest addition has probably "just" happened. Correct?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Your existing bird has probably never seen another like itself (sadly).
Yes very sad.
Also could she just be playing hard to get?
No, she is afraid.
Any suggestions or ideas on what’s going on and how long this will continue?
You can help her with playing and let her watch other male Tiels singing on YT. She needs to get used that this is a normal parrot behavior and she is parrot.

Teressa

Moving in
Real Name
Teresa
Thank you for your opinion on this matter. I felt it was a good thing to get her a companion. I did allot of research first, knowing all the pros and cons. I try to play other tiels on the IPad but as soon as the male hears them he starts chirping loud. I guess I would have to separate them in other rooms to do that. Also, I feel as if you only get 1/4 of the information from a previous owner when you rehome a bird. I have no real idea on age, temperament, and so forth. I will continue to work with her. BTW she has never laid an egg yet, so I’m assuming she is a girl only because she fits all the other criteria for female tiels. Quiet, light grey, bands on the underside of tail. Now that I have what I feel is a sure male, I can see the differences firsthand. He whistles, chirps, solid underneath on tail, even his head looks larger. Thanks again

Teressa

Moving in
Real Name
Teresa
Jlcribbner....yes I have had the female almost 4 months and the male 2 weeks. I thought she was most likely scared and that she may not have been around other tiels. I certainly don’t want her to get so stressed that she starts plucking feathers. They are in separate cages but in the same room. They have been out of the cages together and have not had any aggression so far. It’s just the song he sings that will make her anxious. I have an audio of him but am new to the site and not sure if I can figure out how to add it or if I even can.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I felt it was a good thing to get her a companion.
And yes it was and is! :)
They are in separate cages but in the same room. They have been out of the cages together and have not had any aggression so far. It’s just the song he sings that will make her anxious.
She will get used to it, so just wait. I recommend that you place them near each other, but also so they both can have a darker corner for privacy.
So when she gets scared she can hide and are not forced to see him or be to near him.
This will be fine. :) She will love his company later, and for what you are telling they already seems to accept each other well. That is great. :)

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Another point, where did the male come from? I’m assuming you didn’t quarantine the male?

It’s generally best to apply some type of quarantine and they should not be sharing a cage at this stage.

She knows she’s a parrot. She knows what other tiel calls mean and sound like unless she was bred in a lab from a test tube or incubated and was the only egg of the clutch to hatch.....not likely. But seriously, instinctively they know.

She had parents and she had siblings. That she hasn’t socialized with other parrots in years means she is uncertain of her place in this new relationship. The best thing you can do is put them in the same room in separate cages allowing each of them their own time out until she shows interest in going to him. Also be sure she understands her place with you is not jeopardized by the new arrival.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
She knows she’s a parrot. She knows what other tiel calls mean and sound like unless she was bred in a lab from a test tube or incubated and was the only egg of the clutch to hatch.....not likely. But seriously, instinctively they know.
She had parents and she had siblings.
How can you post that without knowing? What if she was hand feed from day 1 because her parents neglected her.
And from my experience, all animals that are characterized on humans don't know what they are. They are something in between.
That's why I prefer parent raised parrots.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I got the impression they are both in the same cage. If this is true I urge you to separate them immediately. Your hen is acting like she is afraid of the cock. The Cock is indicating he is interested in sex. She is NOT interested and actual breeding season is just ending. The cock could get aggressive and bite, best of Eben stir off her plumage when she refuses him. He could also starve her if she is not submissive to him. I have had cocks do both to uncooperative hens.

Never add a new bird to a cage already occupied by a resident bird. The resident bird owns the cage and the new bird is trespassing. There could be huge fight over resources. Always quarantine a new bird for 30 days in their own cage. Then introduce the new bird in his own cage to the resident bird in her own cage by sitting them side by side. Let them are and interact for a few days until you let them out of their cages to meet. It usually takes 60 days before they get along well enough to try them on the same cage. Ideally this is a new, larger cage neither of them owns.

I know I sound overly cautious. But you don't want either of them injured or killed.

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
How can you post that without knowing? What if she was hand feed from day 1 because her parents neglected her.
And from my experience, all animals that are characterized on humans don't know what they are. They are something in between.
That's why I prefer parent raised parrots.
I can post it because it’s true.

I said it is very very unlikely that she has never seen another bird. Could she have been hatched in an incubator and was the only egg to hatch? Yes. I’ve had that happen with chicken, guinea and quail clutches. I raised a single chick that imprinted on me and followed me everywhere. I had to raise him alone for quite a while because he had spayed legs and wry neck from hatch.
But he knew he was a bird and when he heard other birds he responded with calls and when he was healthy and a little older he was eager to join the flock. They are born knowing these things. Instinct plays a very important part in all animals.

They may lose or not understand how to socialize with others of their species but they aren’t confused as to what they are. Give them credit for the reasoning ability they have. There is a new bird who sounds as though he is more comfortable and confident than she is and she is still in a place that is very new to her and unsure of herself.

She has a lot of NEW right now. That’s her issue. Not what is this strange creature but does this new bird mean me harm.

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
I got the impression they are both in the same cage. If this is true I urge you to separate them immediately. Your hen is acting like she is afraid of the cock. The Cock is indicating he is interested in sex. She is NOT interested and actual breeding season is just ending. The cock could get aggressive and bite, best of Eben stir off her plumage when she refuses him. He could also starve her if she is not submissive to him. I have had cocks do both to uncooperative hens.

Never add a new bird to a cage already occupied by a resident bird. The resident bird owns the cage and the new bird is trespassing. There could be huge fight over resources. Always quarantine a new bird for 30 days in their own cage. Then introduce the new bird in his own cage to the resident bird in her own cage by sitting them side by side. Let them are and interact for a few days until you let them out of their cages to meet. It usually takes 60 days before they get along well enough to try them on the same cage. Ideally this is a new, larger cage neither of them owns.

I know I sound overly cautious. But you don't want either of them injured or killed.
It’s not overly cautious. It’s sound and proper advice. :fairy:

tielluver

Strolling the yard
Real Name
pat pritchard
It sounds like your birds do have separate cages. You are doing the right things. Keep them in the separate cages but with supervised "out" of cage time so if she wants to, she can come by him. This way she will calm down after a while and most likely start to play with him. Just let her go at her pace. Give both birds plenty of time with you too, read to them (kids storybooks), talk to them. If one bird sees the other one is having fun with you or with a toy, the other will most likely want to try it too. goes for treats too. Since they already are in same room, I don't think quarantine is a good idea now. If you do (assuming both are healthy) you will have to start whole process of getting them used to each other all over. It may be your female is not used to loud noise and may be she never heard another bird before. Cockatiels are smart, they will start to understand each other with chirps, singing and body language. I have heard some birds do never get along, but I never personally saw a pet bird do that. If that would happen I guess you just keep them in separate cages and give each his/her own time to be out. I wouldn't worry about that at this point. they have not been together very long and your female is a rescue. who knows what she has been through. she probably just needs time to get used to the male, they most likely will become buddies.

Teressa

Moving in
Real Name
Teresa
Please give her her own cage :). She must be terrified being stuck in there!
She is in her own cage, but in the same room. I only know the female was bought at a pet store two years ago. At least that is what she said. She no longer had time to care for her. The male was sold to a local pet store from a private source. He is banded where the female isn’t. It has a number which the pet shop looked up and he said it originally came from Va. also had the number 14 on it so he assumed he was born in 14. Who knows? I hate not knowing but feel better knowing both are in a good home.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi and welcome to the Avenue.

Time is your friend. Over time, they will come to understand each other and be friends. They may never bond - I have 2 that are in the same cage, both girls, but they aren’t bonded.

Remember that bird timing and people timing are not the same. To you a few weeks is plenty; to them it may take a lot longer, especially bringing their own past and baggage along. Bird Time vs People Time | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Thank you for rescuing these birds. :)

Feathered up

Real Name
Jamie
You’re doing a good job and @finchly Is right. Bird timing and human timing is quite different. Time is your friend here and it’s really just about you being patient at this point. Continue to work with them one on one and as it sounds like your boy is more used to handling, do him first in sight of her as this often does help them relax and makes them want to join in.

I’m going to mention quarantine again as both came from a pet shop. The health of a bird, especially one from a pet shop can’t be trusted. Regardless of how clean or well intentioned the store is, they have no control of what other people bring in on their clothing and hands from their own birds or poultry.

It’s a precaution that is well worth effort. You’re beyond that at this point so just watch them closely for any changes.