• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Behavior in front of mirror + more

asrielshaven

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bethany

My (DNA tested) male IRN has started showing some interesting behavior in front of mirrors. He's only about four months old, so not old enough to begin any kind of displaying.

He'll be on my shoulder, and when I walk him over to a mirror, he'll pin his eyes and fluff up his nape and head and head feathers. He'll lean forward and open his beak at the mirror, trying to touch the 'other bird'. He will also slowly move his head around, sometimes arching his head down, sometimes stretching his neck out and making a small 'peep' noise.

Additionally, he's started giving what I've been giving 'kisses' to my face. When he is on my shoulder, he will- not necessarily bite- but open his mouth and just touch his beak to my face. He'll sometimes lightly nibble my ear or just graze my cheek. Sometimes I tolerate it, other times I worry that this is just building up to him biting me.
Is this him just trying to get me to go away? Is he trying to preen me?

One more thing that I believe is more on the positive end: he's letting me (sometimes) kiss his beak! When he's feeling relaxed and fluffy, I'll slowly lean in and kiss his little red beak. He will pin and make tiny noises. I believe he's alright with it, because he's allowed me to while standing on one foot.

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
:bump7:

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
Our cockatiel started full on displaying and talking and whistling, especially to his reflection by around 4-5 months. Now he's about 7 months old and has been molting for weeks too, so I guess some just mature faster.
I'm not familiar with IRNs, so I won't give advice on the tiny nibbles other than to say you would probably do well to choose if it's accepted or not, as it could confuse him if it's allowed some times and not others. I'm sure a IRN owner will know more :)

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Sounds like he's exploring. Love that you are giving him new experiences to try. You will get to know your bird. And he will change as he matures. You'll learn when you can trust him with your face and when not to. Just be constantly aware of his body language. And no, it is not building up to bite you, that's a completely different behaviour with a different meaning. It will have different body language to it. Be aware though, that one day you could get bitten. Pinning eyes can be an indication of excitement.

I trust Bobbie and Ollie (Amazons) with my face. Bobbie preens me rather like you are describing. Ollie will pin his eyes and make little purring noises when I kiss his beak or head. Boo my budgie used to preen my face too. Kobe I only trust to kiss on his beak sometimes. He used to stick his beak in my ear until one day he just about pierced it, so he's not allowed to do that any more (it wasn't his fault, I should have read is over excitement quicker). Even the woman hating Chico gets a kiss on the beak sometimes.... not very often!

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
He sounds adorable!!! :heart: Just a word of caution, its completely okay to have your bird on your shoulder just as long as he will come off your shoulder easily. If he does not, then I would reconsider allowing him on your shoulder. Otherwise, he is just exploring and being cute. I can't handle the ear nibble. I am so sensitive in that area and the nape of my neck. I would love it if Keoki didnt realize this. :rofl:

Yoshi&Raphi

Real Name
Raphi
Yoshi would constantly touch his beak to my neck just like you said beak open but not biting. I decided to accept it because he was to scared to go near skin unless it was to attack it previously. A couple days ago he latched on and bit. Ouch! Neck skin must be very sensitive because boy did it hurt! I calmly but sternly put him back on his cage and completely ignored him for the next couple hours and have been wearing a hoodie to protect my neck for the last few days.

Yesterday I forgot to put the hood up when he was on my shoulder and he didn’t even look at my skin so I think he learnt his lesson. I’m not saying he is going to do the same thing to you but just be careful!