• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beginning to remember why....

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I am really beginning to remember why I stopped having fish tanks. I was given a betta as a gift and set up a 5 gallon tank for him which is going really well. Perfect levels, clear water, and just a really pleasant tank. A few months ago I had set up an old 20 Long tank and cycled it with a few zebra danios and everything was going really well. I tested frequently and once everything was good I added a few more fish. I added the final fish a few days before we were going on vacation. Did a 15% water change right before leaving and plopped in a vacation feeder block. I normally don't like adding feeder blocks, but the pet sitter was already overwhelmed with the cats/dogs/birds, so I really wanted to cut down on what she had to do.

Well when we got home 10 days later the tank was a tad cloudy, but nothing crazy, and water levels were actually pretty good (ph a little high, but that's an issue with the tap water that I keep an eye on). I went to do my regular water change with the gravel cleaner and eek debris everywhere. I think my rainbow shark (Shark Bait), was a little over zealous with the feeder block and spread it everywhere. It had settled in the gravel so it wasn't really that noticeable at first.

So now I have food debris all over and decide to do a bigger water change to get that stuff out. I run to get another bucket and come back to a cat in mid air jumping into the tank. This particular cat is a plump asthmatic cat and took a complete dive to the bottom. I fish her out and make sure her airway is clear (her asthma is really bad) and ended up doing a nebulizer treatment for her. Apparently jumping into a tank of water is really stressful. It was hard not to laugh, she looked really pathetic. Anyway, i finally get back to the tank and it is FULL of cat hair. It's everywhere!! I sucked up what I could and cleaned up what had gotten stuck in the filter. I've been doing water changes but the poor tank still is very cloudy. I'm hoping with a few more water changes it will get back to normal. Ugghhh!! :banghead:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:lol: Thanks for the great visual and chuckle. :lol:

rifftastic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
paul hayward
I've had a cat do that unfortunately she landed on a fish..poor little thing. Can I ask was it a white feeder block? The cat hair shouldn't do anything, seeing as it is pure protein it can't break down so if I'm right shouldn't affect the water quality. Thw cloudiness should only be the outer layer of the feedwer block, it also shouldn't affect the water quality, may I suggest adding a filter wool to the filter hence the name haha that should trap any floating particles too small for the standard media to pick up.

Sorry if I just repeated everything you know.