• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beginning an experiment - Pandora for parrots: Join in!

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
So I read an article the other day about how birds have individual tastes in music, and it occurred to me that when I play music at home, I pretty much just play what I feel like hearing.

Well, that hardly seems fair, since Gus has to listen to it too, and I know listening to someone else's music choices can get old if your tastes or even your moods don't match that day.

So I decided to do something about it. I've created a Pandora channel just for Gus. As it plays songs, I watch his reactions to see if they should get a thumbs up or thumbs down. Sometimes he'll bob his head or whistle or preen, which I'm interpreting as approval. Other times, he'll get crabby, which is definitely disapproval, and sometimes he completely ignores the song and focuses on other things, in which case I'll leave it alone and see if he reacts to it another day.

I'm only just beginning this experiment, but I'm curious to see how well Pandora's algorithms pick up on his tastes and whether he becomes more responsive to tunes as he realizes he can choose what to play and what to skip.

I'm also really curious to see what songs he ends up liking! He might have totally different tastes from me!

I seeded the channel with a song the article mentioned was introduced to the experiment by accident (when staff members played it for themselves), and which appeared to be universally appreciated by the subjects of their experiment:

"Twisted Nerve." (Aka that whistled song in "Kill Bill").

Gus definitely likes that one.

Anyway, I thought it might be fun to invite other people to try the same thing and compare results as the game/experiment progresses.

Anybody interested?

greytlove

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
This is hilarious! I need to try!

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is a great idea! Before bed, I always play Pandora for Java but I always play Disney since it's upbeat and fast, even though he never seems to really care. He recently took an interest in Super Freak, so looks like I'll be making a new playlist to see what he likes. :fairy2:
He likes Mulan when the track played but then 'Cruella De Ville' started and he let the world know that he wasn't a fan lol

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
That's a neat idea! I know that Blu definitely favors some music over others. I found it quite funny that seems to love Nicki Minaj. He likes other stuff too but it seems like no matter what song of Nicki's I play for him, he always likes it. :smuggrin:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
This is so funny to read because earlier I turned off the radio with Gregory Porter singing Nat King Cole songs and I instead put on Massive Attack. Then I felt really guilty... had the birds been enjoying Gregory Porter? :D I once had a budgie who LOVED heavy metal. He would get so excited. I used to buy Iron Maiden and AC DC albums specially for him.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
I had a canary named Skiddle who loved Led Zeppelin and Stevie Ray Vaughn. He loved that steel guitar.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
:rofl: Funny, I've played all the Golden Oldies for Farlie and haven't gotten any reaction to music from him at all. I also have the Blues, deep down southern delta blues but nothing there either.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's so hard finding radio stations to play in the bird rooms, because everyone has a different favourite. :lol:

Kraz is all about bombastic orchestral music, Kamara likes contemporary R&B, Aurélie favours eurodance, and Taco loves his pop and rock & roll. Trying to compromise is a heck of an ordeal!

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
I don't have music playing because Simon and I enjoy listening to the outside birds; we have lots. Simon does like hearing me sing, maybe because he knows I sing when I am happy.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
This is a great idea! Before bed, I always play Pandora for Java but I always play Disney since it's upbeat and fast, even though he never seems to really care. He recently took an interest in Super Freak, so looks like I'll be making a new playlist to see what he likes. :fairy2:
He likes Mulan when the track played but then 'Cruella De Ville' started and he let the world know that he wasn't a fan lol
Ohhh I love this idea. I never thought of playing Disney music for Chirp. I'm one of those sappy people who get that warm fuzzy feeling and goofy smile from Disney stuff, lol.

Chirp listens to what I listen to, which is Queen pretty much exclusively, lol. He likes Bohemian Rhapsody and I'm In Love With My Car and Fat Bottomed Girls (I see you, bird!:naughty:).

When I first got Chirp we had the Classic Rock station on in the car, they were doing a marathon of Elvis, Chirp seemed to like that. Also when Dad and Chirp would watch tv together, he liked the theme songs to Perry Mason and Matlock.

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
I have never had any reaction from Dora to any music. I've played everything for him. even shown him videos of other ringnecks dancing to music. Still, no reaction.:grumpy::rolleyes:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Our house has music going from two different sources, Sirius/XM satellite radio, and Pandora. The front room (where the littles are) is Elvis Channel ...my wife's all time favorite.

Milton's room-our bedroom- has Pandora...where my "Thumbprint" channel holds sway. That's where the service takes your "liked" songs and create a mash up channel, featuring them. It's a rather strange amalgamation of 60s and 70s Pop and late 80s through early 2000s Country, with some Neil Diamond thrown in....like I said, a rather strange brew...but I like it. ;)

That being said, our birds rarely, if ever react to music. Milty will start bopping to a heavy bass beat...or "sing" to an isolated song...and if he starts singing, you have to cover your ears...because it's a strange mix of nonsensical words and whistling...capped off with the phrase "I A PRETTY PRETTY BIRD"...over and over...loudly, and very off key...;)

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm so glad to see interest! And these stories are awesome!

So far, Gus seems to have a preference for easy listening and ballads, which I'd have NEVER found out on my own, since I prefer stuff you can bop to.

He hasn't yet figured out that he can call the shots. I have a feeling that's when things will get really interesting, but it may take a while.

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
I love this idea!!!! I have a Google speaker that sometimes I play lullabies from for them (they do like that!). But I think they still prefer it when I whistle random songs to them. They watch me like I just came down from another planet! :lol:

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Oh yeah, whistling is BIG in my house. Gus came to me knowing how to whistle, but he learned from hearing people whistle for the dog in his old household, so he'd just whistle the same pitch two or three times.

I whistle, as a roommate many years ago so quaintly phrased it, "like a freakin' Disney-bird." It's been fun watching him figure out that he can whistle multiple pitches and more than two or three notes at a stretch. We play a game where he'll whistle and I copy whatever he does, and he's up to composing four-note tunes now. Every time we do it, his stuff gets a little more complex.