• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beginner Chicken Keeper Seeking Knowledge! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I think your hubby needs to stop going to this guy for any chicken advice. Mine live in what used to be a dog kennel and who knows what before that. Of course not sure how our winter temps compare to yours. I was actually reading today that you don't want to insulate your coop necessarily because it can make it so it's not as breathable. But drafts are not a good thing. We're going to be building a new coop soon out at our new house so that should be fun. Trying to figure it all out in my head now.
Is there no way you can have your brooder in the garage? I have never had mine in the house. The very first time we had chicks 4 years ago we luckily had the box from our small chest freezer to use for a brooder which was in the garage off the house we lived in at the time. Last year I used a old oval wash tub for the early brooder then moved them into a flight cage on it's back. So this year I'm going to have to figure something more out with getting them 3 times. And they are out in the shop here.
I'll for sure post pictures. Supposed to get my first chicks this evening.:D

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
It's really not that hard to build a small coop. Here are links to some ideas, and they don't have to be this fancy: Coop Designs

My new coop will be set on a concrete foundation. In the interim, I am in the process of cladding the bottom of my duck house with sheet metal. Two 9' long, 4' wide, pieces cost me just over $70. That should take care of any predators coming in through the floor.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
My garage is actually a shop about 50 feet from our house, with no heat, or insulation and it isnt any warmer in there than outside, but I guess with the heat lamp that might not be a concern. No wind at least. It still gets as cold as minus 5 celcius here overnight, so I dunno. Something to think about I guess.

You right, my husband does need to stop listening to this guy. Im rather annoyed with him too.
Yeah, I understand you can make some pretty awesome coops. Im sure that will be how we go. I have some ideas, just have to get them in motion, LOL
It is spring, and I have all summer to think about winterizing the coop, so we may just skip that step right now.

And your right, I have heard that if you choose to insulate, it can actually make the coop cooler as it traps moisture. Most sites Ive read say the heat of the chickens, and the air tight coops keep above zero even when its Minus 20 celcius outside. But our winters get so brutal, and its super windy near here, Id really like to make sur they are comfortable. If you have good ventilation, the moisture wont be a factor in an unsulated coop.....or at least thats the story, LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.