• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Befriending Kiwi the lovebird

Andreea Velea

Moving in
Real Name
Andreea Velea
This is where I'll post updates about how Kiwi is doing and about how our relationship is evolving.

Some of you might remember that a while ago I made a post asking for advice on how I should tame my boy( whom after a visit to the vet is now decidedly a boy). I received a bunch of wonderful advice from lots of people and because of that Kiwi is doing great right now. I fell that I have a responsibility to keep you all updated because of that.
Also I am by no means an expert so I might need more advice down the line.

I got Kiwi at a pet store, and he was not tame at all, terrified of people and especially hands. He is flighted, probably having lived in an aviary with his buds before being brought to the store. So he was pretty unhappy with his cage at first, looking for a spot he could escape whenever he heard other birds outside. He'd get scared whenever I moved around and wouldn't chirp at all.

I placed his cage in a spot where he could see me at all times, and I'd talk or sing as often as I could. Then one morning he surprisingly joined in. Can't tell you how happy I was to hear a sound from him.He also got pretty chill with my hand being on his cage.

Things got gradually better and one day I decided I'd let him out from his cage. Oh boy, what a day that was.
I bird proofed the room, covered the windows and I opened his cage. He took two hours to come out and when he finally did he got scared and hid behind a pot before going back to his cage. The next day I attempted it again and it went a lot better. He flew around for about 2 hours before deciding to go back. I currently leave his cage door open as long as I am around and he seems very happy with that. His flying has gotten a lot smoother and he doesn't crash the landings as he often did when I first let him out.

I've been trying to help him overcome his fear of hands this whole time and today he finally got the courage to come and nip on my fingers. He is not treat motivated at all, and I've tried a lot of things; I even drove to another city to get spray millet and the little twat doesn't have the slightest interest in it. He does like dancing however, so as I was tapping my fingers to a song he flew over on the table I was tapping onto. He was still very wary at first but after some intense staring he gently nipped on one of my fingers. Now, I know this might not be a very good thing, but it's the first psychical contact we've had!! I really don't know how I should be reacting to this since I don't want to discourage him from interacting with me but biting isn't acceptable either. Some advice on this would be much appreciated!

This is what's been happening so far,but I'll keep you updated from now on. I hope this thread will help and give some hope to people struggling with a new wild birdie. It's all worth it!!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Well done on making progress :starshower1:

It will take time but you will get there in the end ;)

It´s nice that your bird is male because they are easier to interact with.

For every day that Kiwi comes out to explore and fly, his flight will improve and his confidence with it. Keep going how you are doing it now.

If we are talking nibble, let it slide, if it is a bite, either try to detect it before the bite lands and move away or if you get bitten, don´t react, just get up and walk away. I know you think this may stop him wanting to interact with you, but it will be fine. Birds are smart, Kiwi will piece it all together, it may take him some time, but he will figure it out.
I never let a bite from Aldora slide, she´s not very interested in human interaction. But she does like to sit on my shoulder, so she knows she can´t bite because that means no shoulder. I haven´t been bitten in well over a year and she regularly enjoys sitting on me and relaxing (she´s not a very ¨interactive¨ bird, she doesnt ´sing, dance or want to play, she likes to be with her feathered flock)

I hope this thread will help and give some hope to people struggling with a new wild birdie. It's all worth it!
I hope so too :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Sounds like you are making good progress.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

Andreea Velea

Moving in
Real Name
Andreea Velea
he now takes treats and actually eats them(although he sometimes grabs my finger instead lol)!! I might soon be able to teach him to step up!
He seems to be a little obsessed with the windows tho, which would be ok if he didn't chew my plants while at it haha. They're not poisonous for him, as I've checked the first time I let him out, but they're alive too so it's pretty sad he destroys them. I read somewhere that birdies hate lime and might help if I rub that on the plants but idk I'd like him to fly around more and explore instead of just sitting in one place.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I know it´s a pain, but you could move the plants out the room before letting Kiwi out.

You could try placing toys and treats around your room so that he has to fly around to find them. You play with the toy for a bit, make sure Kiwi notices you, then put the toy in the place.

You´re doing great with him :) :loveshower:

Andreea Velea

Moving in
Real Name
Andreea Velea
There's been an interesting turn of events... My sister kept saying that Kiwi would die if I don't get him a mate even tho I told her multiple times that was a just myth. So without doing any research she went ahead and bought another lovebird for me. I am beyond mad at how ignorant she is. I was not prepared to introduce a new bird to Kiwi at all. I had no additional cage and not enough space. Luckily enough, they took to each other instantly and didn't fight. The way I tried to introduce them safely was that I let Kiwi out and put the new bird in the cage. That was the best I could do and it seems to have worked. They're pretty much best buddies. Only problem is, Kiwi totally ignores me now. No more dancing or singing and he doesn't take treats from me anymore. :( The reason i got one lovebird was to have it bond with me and now even tho I can see he is happy I can't help but feel dispirited. He was so close to learning step up and now he's not even responding to me calling him. I really don't know what to do. It doesn't feel right to get the new bird back to the pet store since they're such good friends but my three weeks of hard work seem to have been for naught otherwise.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh the irony.
Your sister should have researched introducing a new bird, and the first thing she would have seen was ¨Quarantine¨.
It is not nonsense, a member here recently introduced a new bird to their existing bird and the new one had PBFD, and so has given the disease to their existing bird.
Your lovebird would never have died of loneliness, Kiwi had you. She was not alone.

I let Kiwi out and put the new bird in the cage.
The new bird is in Kiwi´s cage?
I hope not. They need to be separate. Only bonded lovebirds can live together in harmony (and even then, some bird do turn on their partner).

He was so close to learning step up and now he's not even responding to me calling him. I really don't know what to do.
You might still achieve those things, but they will take extra work.

It really sucks that your sister did not respect your wishes.
Is your sister helping out with cleaning? food bills? food prep? vet bills? I hope so, because she just doubled the work load and costs.

Have a sit down with her, talk about the situation. Make a mutual decision on what you will do with the second bird, and choose quick before the birds get really attached.
Just remember, it´s too late to quarantine, so your sister better pray that the new bird is disease free.

Let us know what you decide ❤

Andreea Velea

Moving in
Real Name
Andreea Velea
I saw them mating today, ffs isn't this kinda fast? I least I don't have to pay the vet to find out if the new bird is a boy or a girl :) There is no nest like thng in the cage so WHYY must they torment me like this???

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I saw them mating today, ffs isn't this kinda fast? I least I don't have to pay the vet to find out if the new bird is a boy or a girl
Incorrect. The new bird could be either. @DoubleTake ´s bird Loki is lesbian :)

So are you keeping this second bird?
Please do take it to the vet and get a check up.

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
Birds with raging hormones will do the do regardless if male or female since they don't have the choice of other birds. The only definite way to tell if they are female is either via testing, or if she lays eggs. Try to get a cage on hand, in case they do fight badly, you can separate them immediately before blood is drawn, or worse, fatal injuries.

Rainbow used to be in the same cage with Moony for months, and they'd cuddle and sleep together at night for months... then one day she decided that ALL the cage are belong to her and she started chasing him. Moony is now in a different cage with B-B.

Andreea Velea

Moving in
Real Name
Andreea Velea
So are you keeping this second bird?
I think I'll keep her since they seem to be getting along. I decided to name her Luna, since she is a violet lovie. She's very pretty and unlike Kiwi, she's really chill, has a serene vibe about her. Comparing the two, Kiwi looks kinda scrappy lol, either homeboy lived that ghetto life hard before living with me, either miss Luna liked her seed a little to much. She kinda walks like a duck, wobbling from side to side, which I find completely endearing.Since they are complete opposites, they showcase very well how different bird's personalities can be. She is really treat driven and appreciated that spray millet I went to great lengths to get, while Kiwi is more interested in having a good time. Luna sleeps with her head down, while Kiwi tucks it as most other birds do.
Please do take it to the vet and get a check up.
Off course I'll take her to the vet for a check up, I was just thinking I won't have to pay for the DNA testing, but since parrots are a progressive, diverse species I will still make sure.
Try to get a cage on hand
I did order a new cage the day I got Luna, I had started saving some money to buy Kiwi a larger cage so I used that. On second thought, maybe I should cancel this one a save a little more to get a really big one and keep the current one as back up.
I sure hope they're just gay tho, I'm too young to be a grandma. I also don't have any supplies for nesting yet. Probably should get some just in case, since it might take a little till I get the DNA results for Luna. Would be a real pickle if she laid her eggs on the bottom of the cage.
1.jpg 2.jpg

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
Really pretty. Lovely Luna <3

Kiwi looks like he's wearing a crown too/

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
maybe I should cancel this one a save a little more to get a really big one and keep the current one as back up.
That is what I would do ;)
And tell your sister, she brought the bird home so she must help you with costs for the cage.

Well, I´m glad to see you keep him/her, Luna looks just like my Aldora. @LunaLovebird has a lovie called Luna too :)

I'm too young to be a grandma. I also don't have any supplies for nesting yet. Probably should get some just in case, since it might take a little till I get the DNA results for Luna. Would be a real pickle if she laid her eggs on the bottom of the cage.
She will be fine laying eggs on the cage floor. The pickle would be to breed irresponsibly. Just because you have two birds, doesn´t mean they need chicks.
If she lays an egg, first and foremost, switch it for a fake, if you see she is actively tending it, you can offer a little plate with some kitchen roll on.

I think a DNA test would be very wise. When you take Luna for her vet visit, take Kiwi too and have them both tested :)

I must say, you are incredibly lucky that they took to each other so quickly! I know @bubblelady Maureens birds hit it off very quickly too (her birds are both male and are a couple and preen etc but don´t mate).

They look pretty happy in those pictures :loveshower:

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Well, I´m glad to see you keep him/her, Luna looks just like my Aldora.
I think Aldora looks more violet than Luna, I see hints of green on Luna unless I completely missed that on Aldora. Luna is still beautiful though, they do look happy.

Andreea Velea

Moving in
Real Name
Andreea Velea
Took them both to the vet and it turns out they're thankfully healthy,except for the fact that Luna is a tad too fat hehe. She is also a confirmed female now, hasn't laid an egg yet but they've been going at it increasingly iykwim.

In other news, Kiwi doesn't ignore me anymore and he lets me bop his head a little,I might be able to properly pet him soon! I'd like to work with him more while he's outside of the cage but he's just flying all over the place and baiting him with treats hasn't worked :(.
I've had Luna for close to two weeks now and she seems to have been more around people than Kiwi. She's still pretty reserved but she eats treats or seed from my hand already.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She is also a confirmed female now, hasn't laid an egg yet but they've been going at it increasingly iykwim.
Did the vet confirm this? Just because they mate, who is on top is not neccessarily the male.

I´m glad Kiwi is not ignoring you anymore.

She's still pretty reserved but she eats treats or seed from my hand already.
Maybe one day Luna will help you to encourage Kiwi ti come over and interact with you more :)

Just remember that you have two birds that have hit it off quick. They have each other and don´t really need you, so it will be harder to build a strong relationship with them. You will have to be super patient and work extra hard. Good luck!! :)