• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bed time

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Zane's been so grouchy lately which is pretty unlike him. He's been the vets and it looks like he has an infection. So that could be part of his moodiness. But I know think that's all. He also has been dealing his new collar but the grumpiness started before that too.
I'm thinking I need to start putting him to bed earlier.

I'm going to start half an hour earlier to start and sees if anything changes. What's tricky is poor Echo has to go to bed the same time as Zane because otherwise Zane just be calling for him. I also see a problem with summertime as it will still be light outside. But I'll worry about when I get there.

I know birds are supposed to get 12 hours of sleep per day but I wonder how much more senior birds need. Anyone know? @Macawnutz I know you have Rosie. Do you notice she needs more sleep?

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Rosie sleeps A LOT. I see her awake about 4 hours a day BUT, she also stays awake part of the night as she is blind and doesn't care. LOL
LOL OK Thanks that's good to know. Zane's been sleeping on me abit more lately and definitely enjoys his naps :)

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Peanut sleeps a lot too. More and more as she's aged. New this year, she's started nodding off while she's still trying to do things. Like she would always plop down next to her toys and sleep when she was done but she's literally dozing off while she's trying to play and preen. Precious and kinda heartbreaking for me at the same time. She's going blind so I've wondered if that has anything to do with it.

Peanut does her best to be an active little lovie but after 10-20 minutes of playing she'll frequently nap for as long as she was active. A midday 2 hour nap is normal. It's hard to say for sure how much she sleeps exactly since her day is a constant cycle between activity and sleep but 5 hours awake at most sounds about right. You've made me curious, I might try to time it on my next day off.
I've actually done 12 hour nights most of her life since a full night of darkness prevented her from laying eggs but in the last year or so she just isn't ready to get up after 12 hours. She's been sleeping in and getting up closer to 11 am.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sunny definitely wanted an earlier bedtime as he got older. He still got up at about the same time but his bedtime went from around 9:00 to him being ready for bed by 7:30.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
. Jasper has always gotten 11-12 hours of sleep. She is ready to go to bed at 7pm and goes and sits on her sleep cage, then in the morning she is ready to get up between 6:30 am and 7:00 am. She will take two or three short naps during the day. Her heath conditions make her similar to an older bird even though she is only 24 years old.