• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Bed Bug Problems

Keyley

Moving in
My year old conure is free roam in our house during the day, she usually just follows my feet around (she walks on the ground)

We just found some bed bugs in our condo though!! I don't know if it's safe for her to still be here while the condo board gets around to calling an exterminator :( I don't know if I should still let her run around, if it's safe, she's really upset about being kept in the cage though because she spends her day out of it,

please if you have any answers help me

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Probably not, and she should not be in the house either while spraying is happening.
Find out the exact name of the spray they will use, then google "MSDS name" and you will get a fact sheet to read carefully and completely about the dangers of that particular pesticide.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Its never safe to let a bird roam around the floor. There are things, dirt, bugs, sharp objects that may fall you don't even see. Are you renting the condo? I thought a condo is privately owned. There was a bed bug outbreak in the apartment complex I live in a couple years ago. The treatments are quite expensive and lots of work. Anything that is material must be laundered and dried in a hot dryer. Sofa, beds, backs of pictures hanging on the wall, closets emptied for treatment, clothes in closets removed/cleaned and put in plastic coverings. There is literally nothing that is not effected. It was a series of 3 treatments. They even remove the switch plates from the walls for treatments because the bed bugs go from floor to floor inside the walls. Same with electrical outlets. Both humans and animals were advised to leave for several hours during and after treatment.

It is not something that should be a do it yourself job. I saw the bed bug bites on the person living above me and it was horrendous. My apartment never had any but because I was living below an active breakout I had to go through all this too.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
When they exterminate the bugs,both you and your bird must go stay somewhere else for a few days. Your bird will be fine in its cage for that time. Its better to be safe than sorry.

Keyley

Moving in
Update!! We boarded Maro till a week after the exterminators come and then we'll be doing a week without going around on the floor. Sadly there's nothing we can do about her walking around on the floor unless we keep her in her cage full time because she doesn't know how to fly

Keyley

Moving in
We talked to the owner of the boarding place and he said to keep her off the floor for 3 weeks and then she should be safe :)

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Will that be hard to do for so long?
I would suggest putting a clean sheet down on the floor in the favorite areas just in case someone gets headstrong about it.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Bed bugs shouldn't bother a bird, they don't like moving targets which is why they hide and bite people while they're sleeping. They are a nightmare to get rid of, we dealt with them a few years back and didn't get rid of the problem until we moved. Essentially in addition to the building spraying pesticides we had to either bag up everything in our house in air tight bags, freeze things, or expose them to extreme heat (it was summer so we just put some things in plastic bags in our car...) and we had to get a new mattress.

Definitely keep your bird out of the house while they're spraying and until you can't smell what they sprayed any more