• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Because I don't have enough space in my house...

SeverelySweet

Sprinting down the street
I've started gathering wild birds...lol...

I have a daily visitor. My sister and I though he was a crane when he first started coming around, but after doing some research, we realized he was a Great Egret.

This is Frasier...Frasier Crane...hahah!

20180117_074134.jpg
20180113_172924.jpg

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Very cool

SeverelySweet

He comes so close! Wonderful:heart:
He DOES! I can usually get within a foot or less...but just me. He runs from anybody else! I'm extremely cautious though, because there's some serious thrusting power behind that huge pointy beak! He/she stands a good 3 1/2 feet tall, so yeah, would be easy enough to be speared through the leg, lol.

Syd and Frasier have an understanding...I belong to Syd, and any attempts for frasier to get close are met with ear piercing shrieks, and some GREAT bluffing lol

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Cool bird! :)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
He DOES! I can usually get within a foot or less...but just me. He runs from anybody else! I'm extremely cautious though, because there's some serious thrusting power behind that huge pointy beak! He/she stands a good 3 1/2 feet tall, so yeah, would be easy enough to be speared through the leg, lol.

Syd and Frasier have an understanding...I belong to Syd, and any attempts for frasier to get close are met with ear piercing shrieks, and some GREAT bluffing lol
Whaha Syd has to protect his hooman of course, who knows Frasier might try to steal you:lol:
There is real power behind those beaks indeed! At the bird rescue where I volunteerd, they get herons sometimes. Last summer there were babies that still needed to be fed, the person feeding them had to wear goggles at all times, and they were only babies!

SeverelySweet

Whaha Syd has to protect his hooman of course, who knows Frasier might try to steal you:lol:
There is real power behind those beaks indeed! At the bird rescue where I volunteerd, they get herons sometimes. Last summer there were babies that still needed to be fed, the person feeding them had to wear goggles at all times, and they were only babies!
I read that, in the nest there is often such fierce competition that the babies often spear eachother. Ouch!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
How neat! I can't wait to find out if his nerdy little brother Niles shows up, too! You could end up with the whole cast when your reputation gets out. ;)

And what a great space-saving tip. :idea: Start "keeping" wild birds. They don't eat the furniture either!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How neat! I can't wait to find out if his nerdy little brother Niles shows up, too! You could end up with the whole cast when your reputation gets out. ;)

And what a great space-saving tip. :idea: Start "keeping" wild birds. They don't eat the furniture either!
Love the sign!

Featheredfuffs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
I do wildlife rescue and part of the protocol is goggles on all times with herons and egrets! They go for the eyes, and could quickly kill you!

I don't think you have to worry about Frasier though... just be aware of his face :)

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I do wildlife rescue and part of the protocol is goggles on all times with herons and egrets! They go for the eyes, and could quickly kill you!

I don't think you have to worry about Frasier though... just be aware of his face :)
Yeah and there are Some permanent captive of prey that were taken by animal police and can’t go back into the wild, and Some are vicious so you have to wear head protection, goggles and gloves when you go near them:lol:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I loved that show.

SeverelySweet

When he showed up, several weeks back, I actually *did* call a wildlife rescue...because he was visibly ill, and weak (severe discharge from his right ear, wobbly, etc). They gave me the number of the local guy...who, after leaving several messages over the course of a week, never bothered to call me back.

We had started feeding him, hoping to hear back and have him rescued. Neither the call, nor a rescuer, ever came. His health has improved drastically, though!

Later on, when I go out to get Syds pellets, I will also be picking up some more live feeders...his once a week treat, lol. I also need to get more frozen catfish, and a couple more cans of mackeral....because apparently, he's decided he's in it for the long haul, haha. Well, at least till there's a mate involved anyhow...

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
How sweet that you are helping him so much:heart: really makes me happy! Thank you very much on his hehalf:D He is lucky that he walked up to just the right house:heart:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
he's decided he's in it for the long haul, haha. Well, at least till there's a mate involved anyhow...
Lilith! :laugh:

I'm sorry no one helped when your egret was ill, but like @TikiMyn said, he's very lucky he found his way to you :hug8:and that he's feeling better.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks for helping him, hopefully he will feel better quickly and go about his life.