• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beardies... Adult or baby??

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
Hi everyone. I have always loved reptiles and admired Bearded Dragons for years. I am seriously thinking about getting one (if I can convince my other half ;)). I haven't had a reptile in several years. I used to have an iguana who was a lovely guy, but he passed away from a parasitic infection 7 years ago :( . I still miss him.

Anyway, just wondering what the pros and cons might be to getting an adult dragon vs a younger one. Some places suggest that it is much easier to create a bond with a baby, but a lot people say the same for birds, and we know that you can create an equal or greater bond with an adult bird. What are everyone's opinions on this?? I don't want to go the pet store route, and there are lots of beardies in the classifieds here.
Thanks. :)

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
*IMHO*
Adult beardies can be just as great as younger ones. The benefit from getting young ones though is you know more of its background. How much vitamins, temperature and UV lighting, what quality of foods it eats, and etc.

I've rarely come across a 'mean' beardie, and only been bitten when my fingernail polish looked edible. Reptiles don't particularly usually have that 'bond' that many mammals do, but ones that are accustomed to some sort of socialization make it easier to care for them.

There are quite a few good breeders out there without resorting to a pet store. If you want to rescue a beardie, ask lots of questions to its owners and do a thorough check of its physical condition to maybe lessen your chances of ending up with a sick lizard and a possibly expensive vet bill.

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
Thanks for the response! I would like to give one a home that needs it, and there are lots in the classified ads here. I will make sure to ask a lot of questions first. :)
Also, is there a big difference in male and female temperaments? And is there benefits to keeping more than one together or housing them alone? I have read different opinions on this.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I've only kept male beardies and all separated. As a general rule of thumb, females tend to co-exist better for reptiles (especially during breeding season). However, if done right, I don't see any harm in adopting a couple females if they're acclimated to each other and you have the space. However I also don't believe most lizards, including beardies, need 'company' to be happy like rats or some other rodents.

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
OK, thanks. I just don't want anyone to be lonely. But if they do well solo, then perfect. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'd wager most lizards are happier by themselves to be honest.

I want a beardie! Hoping to have one some day. They are always on the local CL.

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
Yeah, I don't know why there are so many of the classifieds. I hope to give one a home soon. The SO might burst my bubble soon though. Lol. Just have to put on my convincing pants.... Lol. Just realized that 'convincing pants' could perhaps be interpreted as actual pants that would be particularly convincing for some reason :p ... I didn't mean that I have racey pants hidden away somewhere for that purpose......althoouuugh....it might just work. :hehe:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Beardies have a good life span, my current one is 8 yrs old and 9 this spring. I think maybe people get bored with them or expected a different type of 'connection' with these animals. (Except for the people that have to get rid of their pets for travel, financial, moving, etc). Cleaning a beardie cage isn't bad but for some it might feel monotonous.
:hehe:

IzzyBizzy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Liz
My boyfriend has one, uhm... Yeah when (or if) he comes over tonight. I'll try to get him to give you his opinion, he's had several beardies.

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
So I might be picking up a 3 year old male tonight or tomorrow. He is super sweet. Looks pretty healthy, although he is not pooping as frequently as I think he should, but I think it is due to a fattier diet. I will try to gradually shift him to different live prey. I also have to replace his UV light, but everything else is good to go.

The funniest thing too is that the kid who is rehoming him is my landlord's nephew! What a small world. And they live five minutes away. So they will be able to come feed him and whatnot when we are away. :)

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
Yep, it's confirmed. Picking our new scaly friend up this evening! Yay!
I will post pictures once we get him settled. :)

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
:Congratwav:
I love male lizards! Are you naming him or does he already have a name?

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
I am not sure.... I can't remember if I asked. I might rename him. What are your thoughts on renaming? I would never rename a bird it was used to it...not sure how a lizard would feel about it. ..

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I don't think renaming a lizard would typically be a problem :)
My beardie is named Ryuho, seeing as nobody can pronounce it everybody refers to him as Ree-Ree.
If you don't like the name, I say go for it ;)

lwis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Leah
20141102_193518.jpg

Just got him home not too long ago. I snapped a quick picture. I will post more (hopefully better) pics on a new thread soon. :) Isn't he handsome?
I made him a salad and he tried a bite of it then settled down under his basking light. He is very alert and walked around his enclosure a bit. We have him set up near our kitchen/living room, and he watched me the entire time I made dinner. If he seems calm and comfortable enough I will see if he wants to hang out for a bit while we watch a show before bed.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Nice :) If you ever get tired of cleaning reptile carpet, you can also replace with newspaper. Though the green does look better :lol:

I have an animal room heated to around 80F all yr round but with winter coming if you ever need to up the temperature in the basking area, cement blocks or slate tile can work well and aren't highly expensive :). Any trick that help save with electricity is always useful and works well for me for climbing/hiding as well.

The black under the male's chin always make me smile.

IzzyBizzy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Liz
My boyfriend uses sand in his breadies cage, he says it's almost like cleaning a cats litter box sometimes.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
My boyfriend uses sand in his breadies cage, he says it's almost like cleaning a cats litter box sometimes.
Which is another great option :)

Also as a note, I would preferably stay away from the 'reptile sand' they typically sell in pet stores due to higher risk of impaction if you go that route; children's play sand works and is a lot cheaper.
IMHO