• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beans, are they all safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caledon

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
I have a dried bean mixture and have not used it for a bean salad. The mixture is navy beans, romana, Lima, kidney and chick peas. Are these beans all ok for a Congo grey?

She is coming home tomorrow so I want to make some food for her.

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
If you soak them overnight and cook them at a low boil for at least 30 minutes, they are fine! Large beans must be cooked but small beans like lentils, garbanzos, mung and adzuki can be sprouted.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I have a dried bean mixture and have not used it for a bean salad. The mixture is navy beans, romana, Lima, kidney and chick peas. Are these beans all ok for a Congo grey?

She is coming home tomorrow so I want to make some food for her.
I just got a piece of advice the other day from a multi- grey owner not to feed the Limas. It's anecdotal, I have no science to back it up. Just sharing.

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
I just got a piece of advice the other day from a multi- grey owner not to feed the Limas. It's anecdotal, I have no science to back it up. Just sharing.
Did s/he say why not to feed limas? Makana loves them. :eek: I don't feed many or often, but...

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I've heard that too. No science behind it that I can find. I feed limas. If it freaks you to feed them, just pick them out of the mix -- there aren't that many.

Peacelovepets

Jogging around the block
I heard that lima beans have to be cooked. I also don't know why, though. Eilley and Isaac love cooked lima beans and I haven't had any issue with them, it's really just up to you with what you're comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.