• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beaking

Marloz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I'm a bit confused my male cockatiel will put his beak on my lips and doesn't bite me but with my mum he bites her lips very hard. Why does he do that?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I suggest you do not put your Cockatiels beak near any human lips. You are just asking for a bite.

Marloz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I suggest you do not put your Cockatiels beak near any human lips. You are just asking for a bite.
He is the one who will walk towards you and climb into your shoulder and put his beak on your lips.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sometimes our lips and mouths can have bacteria in them that can be harmful to birds, so I try to keep my birds beaks away from my lips. If the bird is on your shoulder and starts moving towards your lips, just gently move him down your arm. One of my tiels kind of does this to my daughter. I think she either wants her to talk, doesn’t want her to talk, wants my daughter to regurgitate for her, wants to regurgitate for my daughter, or wants to play with her teeth lol!

Marloz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Sometimes our lips and mouths can have bacteria in them that can be harmful to birds, so I try to keep my birds beaks away from my lips. If the bird is on your shoulder and starts moving towards your lips, just gently move him down your arm. One of my tiels kind of does this to my daughter. I think she either wants her to talk, doesn’t want her to talk, wants my daughter to regurgitate for her, wants to regurgitate for my daughter, or wants to play with her teeth lol!
Yes I know that we have bacteria on our mouths that's why when my cockatiel come towards me I keep my mouth shut but I'm just asking why he doesn't bite my lips but he bites my mum's lips

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
He may simply like you more than your mother.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Could be your mom’s reaction is reinforcing the behavior. It could be he is expecting her and not you to feed him. Birds can be weird- they are not tame so it is hard to know what is the driving instinct.