• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak

Domothebudgie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
gonzos beak seemed to split a little. I noticed it about 3 days ago. He is very clumsy thou, so I was wondering if it is normal to chip it like that.

Attachments

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's torn because it's over grown and should be trimmed by your vet. A split can easily get worse so it should be corrected ASAP.

Domothebudgie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Um the grip on his head is a bit frighting :blink::cautious:. But you should check with the vet just to make sure it's nothing major.
I just noticed that it looks like I'm grabbing his head. I was actually scratching him, since that's the only time he's stays still long enough to let me get a picture. That's why he has his head turned like that. I would never grab his head!

MrFabs

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Andy
This happened to my slender bill and from the looks of its not because his beak is too long but is actually a nutritional issue. The vet trimmed it back and told me to fix her diet. Turns out I was feeding Barbie a bit too many pine nuts and garbanzo beans. After dialing that back and focusing on pellets it's never been an issue again.

Domothebudgie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I have been trying to get him to eat Harrison's pellets, but he just will not eat it! The only pellets he will eat are the zupreem fruit ones. Do you know if it was a lack of calcium that caused it to chip?

MrFabs

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Andy
I have been trying to get him to eat Harrison's pellets, but he just will not eat it! The only pellets he will eat are the zupreem fruit ones. Do you know if it was a lack of calcium that caused it to chip?
Yeah Barbie doesn't like Harrison's either. I use Roudybush and while she prefers to eat pretty much anything else she will eat the pellets. I basically keep the pellets available to her all day and she gets some fresh veggies as a bonus each breakfast and dinner. Barbie doesn't like anything sweet which is odd, I haven't found any fruit that she likes.

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
My corella (a Western Corella..also a longbill) loves Passwell Low Fat pellets, which I mix with Rowdybush pellets....I like to give the low fat pellets as corellas like Galahs are prone to getting overweight. Do get Gonzo checked by a vet who is familiar with longbilled breeds, one vet we saw tried to tell me her beak was too long, not realising she was not a little corella