1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak

Discussion in 'Cockatoo Causeway' started by Domothebudgie, 3/1/17.

1. Domothebudgie

Domothebudgie Strolling the yard

gonzos beak seemed to split a little. I noticed it about 3 days ago. He is very clumsy thou, so I was wondering if it is normal to chip it like that.

Attached Files:

2. ThatsFowlPlay

ThatsFowlPlay Hit the Road

Jasmine
    Um the grip on his head is a bit frighting :blink::cautious:. But you should check with the vet just to make sure it's nothing major.

3. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    It's torn because it's over grown and should be trimmed by your vet. A split can easily get worse so it should be corrected ASAP.

doodadz and Hankmacaw like this.
  4. Domothebudgie

I just noticed that it looks like I'm grabbing his head. I was actually scratching him, since that's the only time he's stays still long enough to let me get a picture. That's why he has his head turned like that. I would never grab his head!

5. Domothebudgie

Thx! I will call the vet to get it trimmed as soon as I can.

faislaq, Aubrey and Tanya like this.
  6. MrFabs

MrFabs Checking out the neighborhood

Andy
    This happened to my slender bill and from the looks of its not because his beak is too long but is actually a nutritional issue. The vet trimmed it back and told me to fix her diet. Turns out I was feeding Barbie a bit too many pine nuts and garbanzo beans. After dialing that back and focusing on pellets it's never been an issue again.

faislaq, doodadz and JLcribber like this.
  7. Domothebudgie

I have been trying to get him to eat Harrison's pellets, but he just will not eat it! The only pellets he will eat are the zupreem fruit ones. Do you know if it was a lack of calcium that caused it to chip?

8. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    Those are fine and will supply everything he needs.

faislaq likes this.
  9. MrFabs

MrFabs Checking out the neighborhood

Andy
    Yeah Barbie doesn't like Harrison's either. I use Roudybush and while she prefers to eat pretty much anything else she will eat the pellets. I basically keep the pellets available to her all day and she gets some fresh veggies as a bonus each breakfast and dinner. Barbie doesn't like anything sweet which is odd, I haven't found any fruit that she likes.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)