• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak Tip Turning Black?

Loor

Meeting neighbors
Hi, uh, this is my first time making a post so please forgive me if I accidentally break some rules. But anyways, lately the tip of my Lovie’s, Maya, beak has been turning black. Oddly enough, it’s not always black, it’s usually an somewhat transparent yellow but occasionally it seems to be black, and the black is more pronounced at random times. It also seems like it turns black when she’s about to/taking a bath. Mind you, it’s not pitch black, but fairly dark. Does anyone here know what’s up with that? Should I be concerned?

Loor

Meeting neighbors
Also, just thought I’d add that she’s healthy otherwise.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Can you post pix? Has she eaten any food that could stain like berries?

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Also could she have fallen/ran into anything? It could potentially be a bruise on her beak. Though you say it is only there sometimes, so this is unlikely.

Loor

Meeting neighbors
Can you post pix? Has she eaten any food that could stain like berries?
I’ll try for pictures tomorrow since she’s asleep now, and now she hasn’t eaten anything that would stain.

Loor

Meeting neighbors
Also could she have fallen/ran into anything? It could potentially be a bruise on her beak. Though you say it is only there sometimes, so this is unlikely.
As much as she does enjoy ramming her head into random objects, I don’t believe that’s the case, since the black doesn’t last longer than an hour or two when it appears like it would if it were a bruise.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would probably call and ask the vet about that to see if it is anything to be concerned about!

Is there anything in her cage that she could be rubbing her beak on to make it darker?

Loor

Meeting neighbors
I would probably call and ask the vet about that to see if it is anything to be concerned about!

Is there anything in her cage that she could be rubbing her beak on to make it darker?
Yeah, I’ve been wanting to take her to the vet lately just for a checkup, I’ll probably end up doing that.

And nah, the only chalky thing in that cage that color could possibly rub off of would be her mineral block, which is red.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It doesn't have to be chalky. Fabrics will bleed, so will dyed woods, etc.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Does her cage have a black wire coating? I know my gcc can chew through these types of coatings, so maybe that is it and it is just staining her beak?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Does the color rub off her beak? Could it probably be a natural trick of light and shadow?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I have never seen it in my lovies. I would go for a vet visit if you can't rub it off.

Loor

Meeting neighbors
I have figures out the cause! When I’m laying on the floor with her she plays with newspapers, chewing them up and putting them in her feathers, and it looks like the ink from the paper was getting on her beak. So I’m not gonna let her play with that newspaper anymore.