• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak length, beak breakages and liver disease

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hey guys,

Just your thoughts on ecki beak health.

I know really long beaks are associated with liver disease. My echo had some bloods that indicated some liver disease a while back. On 3 occasions he has broken the very end tipp off. (10months old)

Im wondering is this normal or a sign of potential issues? Is his beak growing too long? Only experienced this once before with a budgie.

We are going back for more bloods in 2 weeks to check liver as routine.

He is given more toys than a two year old and has seen more sticks than my 10year old dog. So has plenty of things to chew.

Thoughts appreciated :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hi Aggie,
Beak overgrowth caused by liver disease is pretty distinctive. Here is a picture of an eclectus with overgrowth.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
I would think a 10 month old would have a healthy liver... but good that the vet is on top of bloodwork. You might ask about milk thistle for liver support. It wouldn't hurt anything. As for toys and chewing - is he chewing???? Mine have plenty of toys, too, but getting them to actually chew and play enough to keep their beaks maintained is hit and miss. They love balsa but won't enthusiastically destroy harder woods. I've found that putting a sandy perch where they eat encourages them to wipe their beaks on it and that helps as well. I have these - Polly's Sand Walk Orthopedic Perch - and they've really held up well.
PP0006-D-800x800.jpg

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi Aggie,
Beak overgrowth caused by liver disease is pretty distinctive. Here is a picture of an eclectus with overgrowth.

Thanks for photo!
Interesting that it hasn't snapped off. Does the liver disease make the beak harder or something?

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Im so sorry that your young friend has liver problems. I wish you both the best and I hope he can be cured and that the beak problem can be solved.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I would think a 10 month old would have a healthy liver... but good that the vet is on top of bloodwork. You might ask about milk thistle for liver support. It wouldn't hurt anything. As for toys and chewing - is he chewing???? Mine have plenty of toys, too, but getting them to actually chew and play enough to keep their beaks maintained is hit and miss. They love balsa but won't enthusiastically destroy harder woods. I've found that putting a sandy perch where they eat encourages them to wipe their beaks on it and that helps as well. I have these - Polly's Sand Walk Orthopedic Perch - and they've really held up well.
View attachment 251954
He chews everything and anything. Just yesterday i can no longer use plastic pegs to hold millet..lol wooden ones it is. I'll will however look into a sand perch and see how that goes.

I think it may be gentic or something the breeder did. Someone suggested starvation at some point. One of his enzymes is elevated. Its not the ones for fatty liver though. I gave him milk thistle for 2weeks straight, now he just gets some a few times a week. So hopefully blood work comes back normal this time.

Have you're birds snapped the tip off their beaks? Just find it strange that its happened 3 times in 7 months....he is a seriel chewer though.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thanks for photo!
Interesting that it hasn't snapped off. Does the liver disease make the beak harder or something?
Liver disease actually makes the beak softer. I'm also surprised that a bird so young at only 10 months would have liver problems. It's either hereditary or there's something really wrong in the diet?

I would suspect it's something caused by the breeder also.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thanks i didnt know about it being softer! Makes sense now.

His diet is great now. We are no longer on sunflower seed (breeder weaned onto this). He gets veggies and fruit morning and night. Native foods as well. Vet put him on a small amount of cockateil mix as he doesnt tolerate pellets. But he hardly eats it tbh.

Hopefully new blood work is normal and I have undone damage.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Thanks i didnt know about it being softer! Makes sense now.

His diet is great now. We are no longer on sunflower seed (breeder weaned onto this). He gets veggies and fruit morning and night. Native foods as well. Vet put him on a small amount of cockateil mix as he doesnt tolerate pellets. But he hardly eats it tbh.

Hopefully new blood work is normal and I have undone damage.
What kind of nut job weans an eclectus (or any bird) onto sunflower seed? That's horrible. I'm glad you corrected the diet. I hope your friend gets well.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
What kind of nut job weans an eclectus (or any bird) onto sunflower seed? That's horrible. I'm glad you corrected the diet. I hope your friend gets well.
I guess he doesnt know better. I didn't until i did my research before getting Echo.

I use to bring him a bag of fruit and veggies for the birds when i visited. Sometimes he would look at it and go 'they eat that?' 'Are you sure?' I think he was scared to feed new things in case they got sick.

His birds did all however look very healthy and happy. Cages were immaculate too. They would get carrot, apple, corn and broccoli as far as i know. Echo did get some but he was in with other birds and as youngest was left scraps mainly i suspect. Has worked in my favour as i now have a litle dinosaur that will eat/try anything.

Fingers crossed for bloods in 2 weeks!

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
He chews everything and anything. Just yesterday i can no longer use plastic pegs to hold millet..lol wooden ones it is. I'll will however look into a sand perch and see how that goes.

I think it may be gentic or something the breeder did. Someone suggested starvation at some point. One of his enzymes is elevated. Its not the ones for fatty liver though. I gave him milk thistle for 2weeks straight, now he just gets some a few times a week. So hopefully blood work comes back normal this time.

Have you're birds snapped the tip off their beaks? Just find it strange that its happened 3 times in 7 months....he is a seriel chewer though.
That's great that he's a chewer... be sure to offer different woods for him to destroy and that will help maintain the beak. Our rescued ekkie, Peanut, that was very ill in the end with liver failure (it's still a mystery post-necropsy), had issues with his beak overgrowing but it was not extreme... the tip did snap off a few times. He was not a chewer so I suspect that had a lot to do with his long beak. Nonetheless, your little guy is very young so keep working with your vet, maintain a healthy diet and look at bloodwork to guide you!