• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak issue

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope all will be well with Chirp. One of my birds had severe liver damage and was diagnosed with end stage liver disease. I started giving her aloe detox which contains milk thistle and also gave her vetri-DMG and the issue was reversed. Based on blood test results, Scully was diagnosed with a liver problem. I started him on Senior Nutriberries which contain milk thistle and when he was re-tested his levels were normal. If they weren't I was going to switch him to Nature's Answer milk thistle.
Sending positive thoughts for Chirp.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Thank you everyone for the well-wishes. I am hoping that with the milk thistle we can at least partially reverse this. A question about the senior nutriberries, are they just for older birds or are they ok for birds of any age? I've been looking for them in stores but haven't really seen them anywhere, I may have seen them at Petsmart once.

Is there any other support care he needs? Like keeping him warm or anything like that? Or do I pretty much have it?

I will be sure to keep everyone updated. Our vet says she will call as she finds out more.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good idea to check with your vet regarding the Senior nutriberries. My vet recommended just using one source. If the Senior Nutriberries weren't effective then I was going to switch to Nature's Answer milk thistle.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
:sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:.

I hope the milk thistle will turn this around .

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Senior Nutriberries are for any bird with "senior" problems - like liver and arthritis. There is nothing in them a young bird can't have :)

You could also try milk thistle seeds directly if he will eat them, or adding milk thistle tonic to his water.

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
I’m so sorry for Chirp. Sending positive thoughts :sadhug2::sadhug:

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
@taxidermynerd I am so sorry you are going through this. :sadhug2:You fed what you thought was good food and it caused health issues in Chirp. :( I hope that Chirp gets better and his liver heals.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So I went to the bird store, and got a bag of senior nutriberries and a bag of Harrison's high potency superfine. I've offered some of the harrison's and he already seems to like it. On the back of the bag it says use within 6 weeks, do I have to stick to that? Because there is no way Chirp will eat all that in 6 weeks.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So I went to the bird store, and got a bag of senior nutriberries and a bag of Harrison's high potency superfine. I've offered some of the harrison's and he already seems to like it. On the back of the bag it says use within 6 weeks, do I have to stick to that? Because there is no way Chirp will eat all that in 6 weeks.

They recently updated it to 8 weeks technically (per their FB page) but I would freeze most of it and only keep a cup or so at a time of it out :)

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
They recently updated it to 8 weeks technically (per their FB page) but I would freeze most of it and only keep a cup or so at a time of it out :)
Well that's sucky. I know there is no way Chirp is gonna eat all that in that time, it takes him several months to eat a 2lb bag of Zupreem. Although he'll be getting 1tbsp every day, so maybe it'll go quick.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I just checked his beak and it looks like the bruising on his beak is lightening up. He's started playing with toys again and he's chattering more. I hope he keeps improving. Vet in 1 week 3 days.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Sending best of wishes to Chirp's continued improvements.

Poor little chirpy Chirp :( stay positive little guy! You can beat this!