• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak issue

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I would get blood done if possible. Jasper's beak does this occasionally. His beak gets overgrown on one side when he doesn't chew on toys enough. It has actually happened a lot less now that he's on Harrisons, even though we ruled out liver issues.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I would get blood done if possible. Jasper's beak does this occasionally. His beak gets overgrown on one side when he doesn't chew on toys enough. It has actually happened a lot less now that he's on Harrisons, even though we ruled out liver issues.
Huh, that's interesting. I didn't know beaks could just do that out of the blue. Chirp doesn't chew on toys, so it'll be hard to get him to manage it himself. This is the first time I've had this issue, in the over 3 years I've had him.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Taxi, we can guess all we want but you will know when the vet visit happens.

Sometimes a beak will overgrow once, be trimmed and never be a problem again. Other times it needs regular trimmings, and sometimes it’s from illness/disease.

I don’t believe you overload him with protein, that seems to cause beak overgrowth.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I just found a pic from 6/30/2019, and there is no overgrowth in that pic. So this has been an issue for just over a month. Which honestly idk if that's better or worse.
I would print that photo out and any other photos during the time his beak was more normal so your vet can see the difference and take it with you. Write down the dates you received those products and when you started feeding them... a diary of sorts, so you don't forget to mention anything while you are at the vet. Hoping it's nothing serious. Do you have any soft toys like Balsa to encourage him to chew?

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I would print that photo out and any other photos during the time his beak was more normal so your vet can see the difference and take it with you. Write down the dates you received those products and when you started feeding them... a diary of sorts, so you don't forget to mention anything while you are at the vet. Hoping it's nothing serious. Do you have any soft toys like Balsa to encourage him to chew?
Oh yeah, tons. Balsa, sola, mahogany pods, cork, paper, cardboard, seagrass, those little foraging cups, vine balls, hemp thread, and probably more (Chirp is asleep and I don't want to bother him). He almost never shreds wood, he never really has in all the time I've had him. He has a couple of toys he'd work on for a few days, but nothing after that. He prefers chattering to toys with shiny things (like plastic and stainless steel). Occasionally he'll chew on some seagrass mats (he has 2 in his cage right now), but he hasn't in a while.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Oh yeah, tons. Balsa, sola, mahogany pods, cork, paper, cardboard, seagrass, those little foraging cups, vine balls, hemp thread, and probably more (Chirp is asleep and I don't want to bother him). He almost never shreds wood, he never really has in all the time I've had him. He has a couple of toys he'd work on for a few days, but nothing after that. He prefers chattering to toys with shiny things (like plastic and stainless steel). Occasionally he'll chew on some seagrass mats (he has 2 in his cage right now), but he hasn't in a while.
Little bugger! Maybe a new little friend to show him the chippin' way? :innocent:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I don't have the ability to take on another right now. Believe me, I would love to. But it just isn't in the cards for me currently.
:( Maybe some day. Have you ever given him a whole baby carrot to chew on, eat and destroy? I can't remember if he likes vegetables or not.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
:( Maybe some day. Have you ever given him a whole baby carrot to chew on, eat and destroy? I can't remember if he likes vegetables or not.
I've tried several, fresh and dried, cut many ways as well as whole. He hates them with a fiery passion. He screeches at them, and will not touch them. He would rather starve, I think. He also dislikes rice, popcorn, almonds, walnuts, and probably other things.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I've tried several, fresh and dried, cut many ways as well as whole. He hates them with a fiery passion. He screeches at them, and will not touch them. He would rather starve, I think. He also dislikes rice, popcorn, almonds, walnuts, and probably other things.
Darn! He's a picky little guy!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I don't know if I'm just imagining it, but Chirp seems to be taking more naps than normal. He's never been a big napper, but he's been spending more time perched and napping. Right now he has his head tucked into his wing, but is chattering at the same time, silly boy.

He was having a hard time eating, with his beak being in the way. So I made him a mash (just pellets and water, mixed to peanut-butter consistency) and he seems to be eating that ok.

I feel bad but there's nothing I can do for him until we can see the vet on Thursday.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Poor Chirp! If you call Niles I bet they can get you in tomorrow. Might not be with Dr Sakas but they a few really good avian vets there. I'm not trying to sound pushy, just really want him to be ok!

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
I am so sorry Chirp is having health issues!:sadhug2:I hope that he is okay and it's nothing serious.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Poor Chirp! If you call Niles I bet they can get you in tomorrow. Might not be with Dr Sakas but they a few really good avian vets there. I'm not trying to sound pushy, just really want him to be ok!
I've heard many good things about Niles but it's an hour and a half away, and there's no way my dad would take us out there unless it was an absolute emergency (Midwest, the ER we go to, is an hour and a half away too). Thank you for your concern though :heart:

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Maybe try popsicle sticks? They're softer than pine but harder than balsa, my lovebird is obsessed with them. I got her and my conure interested in harder woods by stacking it between the soft stuff I know they love.

Attachments

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Okay yall. We just got home from the vet.

The vet says Chirp has an enlarged liver, and that the long beak and bruising is characteristic of that. She is hopeful that we can try to fix it, but odds are he will never be 100% again. She prescribed milk thistle, to go in his water and she also said I should cut out most seeds from his diet.

She has asked me to email her the link to the thread about the certain vendor and also requested that I keep the food so we can possibly have it tested. We go back in two weeks for another beak trim and check-up.

I am devastated that I have brought harm to Chirp while doing what I thought was right. My heart is broken for Chirp.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Okay yall. We just got home from the vet.

The vet says Chirp has an enlarged liver, and that the long beak and bruising is characteristic of that. She is hopeful that we can try to fix it, but odds are he will never be 100% again. She prescribed milk thistle, to go in his water and she also said I should cut out most seeds from his diet.

She has asked me to email her the link to the thread about the certain vendor and also requested that I keep the food so we can possibly have it tested. We go back in two weeks for another beak trim and check-up.

I am devastated that I have brought harm to Chirp while doing what I thought was right. My heart is broken for Chirp.
Oh no! I'm so sorry! I hope that with the milk thistle and the quick action you took taking him to the vet right away that things can turn around completely! You have absolutely no blame in this! You did everything right and only tried to give your little man the best! I'm so sorry for what you and Chirp are going through! It's so scary that eating that for such a short smount of time could do so much damage! I am glad that your vet wants to see the other thread and I hope that the food will be tested.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
So sorry to hear this. I'm glad you got him in quickly and will pray the milk thistle will help him have a long healthy life ahead. Be positive!