• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak discoloration

Alybri

Moving in
Real Name
Alyse
Hi everyone,

I couldn't find a related Forum, but my sun conures beak is getting lighter. I've taken him to two different veterinarians, which were both avian vets. they said that he's in perfect physical health and that his diet is great so do not worry. I can't help but worry though because his beak is supposed to be dark and it is very light. Does anybody have any ideas why it might be getting lighter?

Thanks!

Attachments

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Uhm no idea to be honest! I hope your sweetie is alright! She sure is pretty!
@SandraK @DoubleTake have suns I believe and might now, @Monica knows a lot about conures, perhaps she happens to know:)

Alybri

Moving in
Real Name
Alyse
Thank you! And thank you so much for replying. I may be working over nothing.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I am fairly sure Some species change beak color when they mature but have little specific knowledge to share! At least you are doing anything you can! The fact that he was seen by two vets makes me suspect it is okay, but you never know and if it is not normal it is indeed strange!

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
As long as the skin around his beak isn't inflamed, which would impede his eating and the AV confirmed this wasn't a problem, I wouldn't worry. This actually is fairly normal in some Suns and their close relatives Jendays.

In most, dark- beaked conures, both foot color and beak color can lighten immensely. In fact, there are Suns that are bred for this.

There basically are three other reasons than normalcy, fungal infections, dead areas or impacts.

Fungal infections will lighten the beak in splotches and is usually accompanied by white saliva. This white, thicker saliva generally causes the tongue to appear splotchy. Eating is usually affected and you'll most likely notice a significant weight drop.

Your AV usually must do an injection series followed by a powdered pharmaceutical supplement. This is almost always accompanying a rapid diet change.

Occasionly a bite from a larger beak has punctured or in some way damaged the beak thus creating a dead area that blood doesn't circulate in. These can lead to a permanent dead area.

A more common cause is window or mirror impaction. If this was hard enough or happens regularly, the "color" cells will die. This usually disappears as the beak grows out.

As you know, beaks are much like your toenails. Most pelleted diets, natural (particularly bark-on) perches and chew toys offer beak-growth control.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@Monica would know better, but I believe that pied sun conures have horn on their beaks.

Alybri

Moving in
Real Name
Alyse
Thank you guys so much. He doesn't have the fungal symptoms, he hasn't impacted, and his mother behaviors are perfect. He does have some light yellow and green on his flight feathers, so maybe it is just a color variation! You guys helped me feel so much better!!

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I haven't run into this myself but have seen perfectly healthy sun conures with lighter beaks. If 2 avian vets think he is fine and if nothing has changed in his behavior or environment I think you and him are safe. Sending positive thoughts just for good measure. :fairy2:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My question is, do you know his parentage?

As mentioned, could be related to the pied gene. That said, the pied sun conures are born with the horn colored beak, and depending upon the pied gene, it can take up to 1 year for the beak to go from horn colored to black. The following page shows it.

sunconure - preciousfeathers

However, the beaks don't normally go from black to horn colored. Still, I wonder if there may be some pied genetics in his history that may somehow be effecting him now.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
My "male Sun" molted out in juvenile Jenday colors with a lighter beak.

My male YSGCC has a dark beak and feet that are lightening slightly with each molt. Similar responses and questions came from both my new and old AVs. Neither he nor she seemed overly concerned.

Both conures are approximately 18.5 mo and have neither flaky nor honed beaks.