• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak deformation

remazera

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Reem
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums

I would like to have more opinions on the issue I am facing currently. I have recently bought a lovebird close to 3 months old from a breeder in my country (UAE). Even though he posted vids of the bird, I failed to notice the beak deformity, while he also failed to notice as well. The day I went to pick it up, I was surprised myself.

The first thing I did was contact the vet to check up on her and to cull the beak. After culling the beak, I found her appetite to be much better and ate a lot. She also had a mite/lice problem from the avairy.

I decided to return her back to the breeder, this coming Friday. I do really like her and would love to bond, but I have to follow up a lot with the vet to keep maintenance on the beak without really knowing for sure the beak will be fixed. Each vet visit will cost an approx of 81 USD for the consultation and beak culling with anesthesia.

I am a bit sad about all of this, but the breeder did agree that I could return her back on the basis he didn't know the about the beak condition.

I will attach some pics once I am on a proper pc/laptop

Thank you, I hope to see other perspectives on the matter

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just remember that each bird is a unique individual and cannot be replaced, even if you get a different bird. All require attention and treatment. Treat the issues and keep him/her while putting out the word about this aviary.

remazera

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Reem
Thank you for the response Fluffy. I am yet in the process of bonding and it seems rather difficult as she (assuming a female) is going to be 4 months old.

All require attention and treatment.
I am very well aware of this and I do not intend to be stingy with any animal that comes in my life regarding this, however, this birdie will require extra care than another normal bird might need.

Treat the issues and keep him/her while putting out the word about this aviary.
The person running the aviary was well mannered and had good intentions, he really did not notice the deformation or otherwise he would not have been very cooperative with me about returning the bird/money on the spot that day, or exchanging. Unfortunately, what I noticed in the aviaries that are run in my country is the ability to produce certain genetic mutations and sell them to other aviaries for reproduction, and etc. It is my first time dealing with an aviary in my country after someone recommended.

I decided to keep her after thinking and struggling a lot as I do intend to get another love bird down the line, but not for pairing.

Those are my next steps now:
I have a vet appointment this Sunday, and will do the beak maintenance, blood test just to test for any liver diseases, gender identification and trim her wings to make the bonding process easier.

I am sad that the birdie is not as curious as I thought the usual parrot would be. I think it goes back to the beak deformation where she also became a picky eater on her food selection. She is not interested in all kinds of seeds and pellet diet, and not interested in toys too :(. I am hoping this will gradually change.

I would appreciate for any input regarding the birdie case (I am still thinking of a name)

Attachments

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad you've decided to keep her and provide her with the extra care required. :)

Trimming her wings just keeps her from flying from you. It doesn't necessarily promote a good bond, though people often think it will.

Sometimes young birds take a bit to show interest in toys (especially if they're unfamiliar with toys), and lovies can be quite stubborn when it comes to trying new foods like pellets. Keep trying! Sometimes it's a size issue. Mine are very picky about that. They'll only accept finch/canary-sized pellets.

P.S. She is a pretty little snow bean. :)

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
What a sweet face. I'm glad you decided to keep her. @JLcribber has experience with a smaller bird requiring similar maintenance, and Hal (the little guy in question), seems to do just fine. The beak itself could be because of someone doing a bad job at hand feeding rather than a genetic deformity.

Lovebirds can, as @fluffypoptarts says, be very stubborn with new things. Give her time. I would encourage you not to clip, as this can actually set you backwards in the bonding process rather than forwards. Go at her pace, and just keep trying. If there is a type of seed she really loves, I would reserve that for treats and use it as a sort of bribe. They do come around eventually! Toys can be tricky, but she'll get curious enough one day to try it out. Having a second bird can help immensely with this, in my experience.

What is she eating currently?

Rolanda

If you have decided to keep the little bird then Thank You for taking her in, another person would have returned her for an uncertain future. :heart:
The Breeder could not have missed the deformity in her beak. It is very obvious. However; she might have been meant for you. She might need some more time to warm up to you, her new environment, and the food. She might just be a shy girl. Give her time. You might try just talking to her quietly through her cage, maybe giving her a few treats that way. Find something she likes to eat and let her have it when you interact; we're not above bribing here. Try to not scare her. Lovies are very curious even if they don't act like it. She is watching you as you go about your day around her.
Good luck with . Please keep us posted on how she's doing. This is a great forum with very knowledgeable and caring people. I and my birds have benefitted greatly from the personal experience advice given here.

remazera

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Reem
I am happy I decided to keep her as well. I would have felt very bad returning her ...

Trimming her wings just keeps her from flying from you. It doesn't necessarily promote a good bond, though people often think it will.
I would encourage you not to clip, as this can actually set you backwards in the bonding process rather than forwards.
Thank you for the advice, I will find alternative ways to help with the bonding process.

She tried to nibble on few toys in the cage, but not for long, but I am happy she tried to explore.

As for the food (attached pic), I noticed this was her favorite, even before culling. Unfortunately, the aviary place diet was only seeds from the vids I watched. I have bought the following food: Zupreem - Pure Fun Medium Birds, ZuPreem - FruitBlend - Medium parrots, Harrison's High Potency - Fine, Lafeber - Tropical Fruit Nutri-Berries (Cockatiels), Beaphar Xtravital Large Parakeet, Wellness - Lovebirds. Ofc, she is choosing the seed diet for now, but I have just introduced the pellet diet, but does not seem interested at the moment.

The beak itself could be because of someone doing a bad job at hand feeding rather than a genetic deformity
The aviary I got her from does not hand feed and the chicks are kept with the parents until they start leaving the house on their own. I am hoping this is not because of a liver problem but we will find out soon I suppose.

Having a second bird can help immensely with this, in my experience.
Unfortunately, I do not have space for a second bird right now, but I will definitely get another one down the line once the circumstances allow.

The Breeder could not have missed the deformity in her beak.
I've been very skeptical about this myself, because as you said, it is "clearly" obvious - but I decided to give the benefit of the doubt and just forget about why or how. I would like to think of it, as you said, it was meant to be :)

Good luck with . Please keep us posted on how she's doing. This is a great forum with very knowledgeable and caring people. I and my birds have benefitted greatly from the personal experience advice given here.
Thank you, I do plan to stick around and post often, the least I could do now that I am bird owner again. I will do my best to take everyone advice with an open mind :)

Attachments

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Ah, okay, then she is a typical lovebird so far as food as concerned. You're obviously a very caring and loving owner, so I'm sure she will flourish with you. :) You can try a bit of portion control. Only give her a small amount of dry food with some pellets mixed in. She should slowly start getting interested in them. When she does, you can start upping the proportion of pellets to seeds until it's mostly pellets. With fresh food, easiest way is to have seeds in there and to keep offering her the fresh food with seeds on top until she starts eating the fresh stuff. They are fussy, but the easiest things I found to get them started were broccoli, sweet corn, and leafy greens. I also make a birdie bread with a bunch of puréed vegetables and ground pellets, which they love.

remazera

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Reem
You can try a bit of portion control. Only give her a small amount of dry food with some pellets mixed in.
I will try my very best. Today I tried segregating the seed and pellet food ... well, she chose the favorite of all times. But she dug in few times in the pellet bowl.Been trying to introduce fresh fruit, but not very accepting, but will keep on trying, and will try your recommendations.

I also make a birdie bread with a bunch of puréed vegetables and ground pellets, which they love.
Do you have a picture of this? would love to see!

Just an update ...
Went to the vet on Sunday as planned, but the vet doc that I saw was not the same as the previous avian vet doc, made me really angry :rant:. He barely culled anything by the time I saw her again, and when I showed him the previous pics of how the other doc did it, he calmly and cheerfully said "give me 5 mins and I will do it again". I felt this was unacceptable to put the bird under anesthesia again on the same day. Anyway booked another apt for this coming Sunday because of poor job that has been done. Also no blood taken for the liver test as the doc said bird is too small to take enough quantity for the blood sample to run/test it. Took blood for sexing though. Attached pic of beak close up as well

I am happy she is quite familiar with the place now, she plays with her toys, comes back to the cage when she is out by herself (mainly for the food bowel), stepped up twice on a perch, but still afraid from the human hands.

Attached a pic of her playing :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Rolanda

Harrison's also makes a High Potency Super Fine. My Lovie, Mo, came from the Breeder on that. I have kept him on it but now, at 7 months, notice he likes some of the Roudybush Small I give my other bird. I have moved his Harrison's (still his staple) to the Fine, and put a little of the Roudybush, and some Lafabers Pellet Berries along with seed and fried fruit/nut/veg mix in his bowl. They get fresh veg/fruit or chop in the morning and evening. I give them a variety... maybe too much! LOL

remazera

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Reem
Hi everyone
Just an update on Skai (his name, yay :cheer:)

So I am still with the usual visits to the vet for beak trimming, and now we are looking for other options than just culling the beak and to possibly opt for acrylic pieces (cannot remember exact details now).

Anyhow, around 10 days ago, Skai has been feeling quite lethargic, tired, sleepy, fluffed/puffed up most of the time, eyes closed while standing (not squeezing his head under the feather when in sleeping position), yawning a lot, bopping his tail up and down. So that required a vet visit, and unfortunately not much can be done for a bird his size in terms of tests, etc. He is now on antibiotic course (Zithromax 0.05 mL) for a duration 2-3 weeks, he felt better around 3rd-5th day but now he is back to being less energetic. His behavior now is a sudden burst of energy and after a while he is back to the slumpy mode, fluffing up and goes to a corner without much movement. We had an X-Ray done on him today (attached pics) and the doc said there should an air sac there (red circle), and it seems like something is pushing/squeezing it, but not sure if this is because he is not sexually mature yet or not. I think he said that is where females would have their eggs around there, but he is a male, so not entirely sure. He suggested to run a barium solution and see exactly if this is an intestinal issue or not by another x-ray in the next visit of Skai usual follow up.

I am a bit upset from all of this but hopefully Skai will pull through it.

Attachments

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I hope Skai will get better.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for the update. I hope the vet will be able to get to the bottom of this new issue and resolve it. Poor Skai! :(