• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak break/ green cheeked conure

greencheek1966

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Denise Mayfield
I' new here and am looking for information on green cheeked conure top beak break. I' completely devastated and broken. My baby is at the vet overnight after my granddaughter let my umbrella cockatoo out and she bit my baby's top beak off. They caulderized his beak n keeping him to observe and introduce soft food. I'm so horrified and distraught beyond words. Has anyone gone through this? They said that an artificial beak causes chance for infection and usually not recommended because they don' last. Is this true? Should I seek a second opinion? I will do anything for him to have a great quality of life. Please advise me!

Lesley Yeung

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lesley
I have very limited conure experience. ButI do know of a gcc with almost no beak. It needs no extra care. I don't want to give wrong advice. But I do know they can be okay beakless. I don't know about an artificial beak.

Hope everyone gets through this. It must be awful.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

greencheek1966

Real Name
Denise Mayfield
Ty, everyone. The vet says he's doing well and ate from an eye dropper and keeping him a few more hours to see if he'll eat a special soft food. Needless to say, I moved his cage into another room. Please don' let this happen to your babies. It was a split second ,and the most horrific thing happened. KEEP YOUR DIFFERENT BIRD SPECIES AWAY FROM ONE ANOTHER! My birds are my babies and this is the most traumatizing thing. Thank you all,again for your input and well wishes!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that he's doing well and that you might be able to bring him home soon. Does the vet think the beak might grow back? Even birds of the same species can injure each other. Several of my red-bellies who had been together for many years started fighting with each other. In 2016 SETI was severely injured by his brother. Part of his cere and a small piece of beak were removed. Luckily I was home when it happened and rushed them both to the vet (Roswell's foot was punctured). The beak and cere areas both healed eventually although one of SETI's nares is now larger than the other. That's just one example. Now all of my red-bellies are in separate cages.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I'm so sorry about your baby and glad he's doing ok. A couple of months ago on bird emergency 911 highway someone had a parakeet that had it beak bitten off up to the cere. The thread is very long but last time I looked the bird was recovering ok. You might want to look at that. It's on page 2 titled budgie beak ripped off

Last edited:

Ninna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kate Pinks
I'm so sorry this happened, you must be feeling dreadful. Years ago I had a fantail dove who lost part of his upper beak and in time it grew back. He managed to eat ok while it was healing. I'm sure this must depend on how much of the beak is lost, so this may be no help to you at all. I really hope your bird has a good outcome; at least he has you to look after him.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Once he heals up, he will likely eat okay. I almost adopted a beakless baby but he passed away from other natural causes before I could. This is one of the reasons I only keep same size beaks... hoping he heals quickly and completely.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
There is a local pet store where the owner has a GCC that has his beak torn off when he was younger. She said she feeds him 3 times a day with a syringe or an eye dropper. She takes him with her everywhere she goes so he never has to skip a meal. He's a few years old and seems to be doing just fine. I hope yours recovers and does well.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My mitred conure, Charlie, is missing half of his lower beak. This happened nearly 12 years ago, and he'll be 24 years old this year... so it's something he's had to deal with for about half his life now. Other than getting beak trims, he doesn't receive any special care. I do offer him cockatiel sized pellets, since those are easier for him to eat than conure sized ones, but he can eat the larger pellets as well. He can't chew hard wood, so I try and make sure he has some soft toys he could chew on.

Charlie's injury happened in his foster home, where he was buddies with an amazon, and two other amazons would easily get out of his way. If he could do that with the zons, why not the blind ruby macaw, too? Needless to say, he got the short end of the stick...

Ganja220

Real Name
Jasmine
I' new here and am looking for information on green cheeked conure top beak break. I' completely devastated and broken. My baby is at the vet overnight after my granddaughter let my umbrella cockatoo out and she bit my baby's top beak off. They caulderized his beak n keeping him to observe and introduce soft food. I'm so horrified and distraught beyond words. Has anyone gone through this? They said that an artificial beak causes chance for infection and usually not recommended because they don' last. Is this true? Should I seek a second opinion? I will do anything for him to have a great quality of life. Please advise me!
Hey. Today my eclectus parrot got a hold of my conures beak and took most of it off. I rushed him to an avian vet and they are keeping him for 2 nights but I’m absolutely devastated I hope he survives tonight. I will never make that mistake again

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
My hairdresser adopted a cockatiel that lost the upper part of its beak. Her cockatiel did fine on pre-hulled seeds. It's possible your GCC will be okay with some modifications.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
My poor baby
I'm so sorry. S/he will be okay with TLC and care. Just make sure to keep your vet visits/checkups on track as they can have issues.