• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak and Feather Disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
OMG, Kelsey, I'm only just seeing this. I am so sorry that you have to go through this and I'm sending MUCH POSITIVE ENERGY in the hope that it's not PBFD and that your flock is safe!!!

:hug8::hug8::hug8:

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you all for the good thoughts and the links on PBFD. I'm dealing with it better today. Now that it's been confirmed what I've suspected for many weeks, it feels like I can finally do things about it (for example, doing a thorough quarantine again).

I'll try to answer as many questions as possible. Please let me know if I left any out.

So as I understand it the only other birds that have been housed with the budgies are the green cheeks, right? Are those the only birds that came in contact with the same food, water, utensils that the you were using for the budgies? But you didn't wash your clothes and things when you came home to your other birds. How long have the budgies been out of quarantine and thank god you quaranteened at long as you did. And I would be so mad at the vet.

I am also sorry for those little budgies, I know how heartbreaking it is for you to have to make that decision.

And what's bad is that you can't trust the tests either. Even if they come back negative it could be wrong.

You don't think it could be a case of polyfuliculitis do you? Where multiple feathers grow in one follicle?

Ginger
Yes, the Green Cheeks are the only other birds that were brought into the house with the Budgies. The aviary Finches and Quail also live at James' house, but they are outside in the aviary. However, they did all come into the house a while ago when they were all packed up for their vet visits.

The same food and utensils that were used with the Budgies were used for the Green Cheeks and the aviary birds.

We stopped changing clothes when we came home to my house after we got the negative results back on the first PBFD. So we could have easily carried it into my house.

The Budgies were out of quarantine for about a month before I saw the deformed feathers and put them back into quarantine.

I am upset at the vet. I am now not sure if he initially tested for PBFD at all or if he just said he did. He is vague about the results of the first tests now that he has visually seen the wonky feathers.

I was hoping it was Polyfolliculitis instead of PBFD or Polyoma. My Pickpocket has Polyfolliculitis and we seem to be managing it alright. However, the male's feathers look nothing like hers. The feathers he is growing are extremely thick, curved completely and makes him drip blood where they are growing in. His flight feathers are doing the same and are almost entirely covered in the waxy sheaths.

In Australia it is not uncommon to visually diagnose PBFD. It is common from bad aviaries and wild birds. Testing is usually only done to confirm a case or to see if a bird is positive if it is not yet showing visual signs.

Thank you Ginger. I got the Harmony Houses in the mail this week and they are beautiful. That's for another time and another thread though. I hope you understand if I wait a while before making that thread.

I'm not sure I understand what is going on...you said you had the budgies tested for PBFD when you first got them...did you do a PCR test? If you did and that came back negative, then they do not have PBFD or they contracted it after the test from other birds in your house. Positive PCRs can also be false and you should test again 60 to 90 days afer a positive to make sure that the bird really does have PBFD but I've never heard of a false negative. If the PCR came back negative, as far as I know, the bird does not have PBFD.

It's also worth stating that this disease is not a death sentence and birds can live long healthy lives. The biggest question with it is, if the bird recovers, is it a lifetime carrier that you have to worry about other birds getting infected or does it have immunity...that seems to be a question that they don't quite know the answer to.

I would not euthanize simply because the test came back positive and I wouldn't count on visual diagnosis either. You have to run the PCR.

If you are dealing with Polyoma, most adult birds do not have issues with this disease and will shed the virus without ever showing signs of illness.
The Budgies were tested for PBFD about 3 months after they were brought home. That's when I become insistent with the vet that the tests were done.

He really seemed to think it was a waste of time and money. He didn't charge us for it so I became suspicious and phoned him the next day and asked why. He said he forgot to charge us for a few things and will make us pay when the test results come back.

Three weeks later and we have to phone them. They tell us the results came back negative. We ask if we should pay. They say ok and take the CC details.

I ask him to email the results through to me. All it says is this,

Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease: Negative

No lable from the testing facility. Nothing. Did he actually have the tests performed? I don't know. He is very willing to work with us now though. After seeing the deformed feathers on the male he is keen to retest. He wanted to euthanise immediately because he is so sure it is PBFD and the male is in so much pain (and every day is a risk to other birds we come in contact with - including pet stores), but I wanted to wait for our home kit test results.

He initially just took some blood for the first PBFD test. That is all. Now he tells us about a proper test that will definitely tell us if it is PBFD. Take a poop sample, feather sample and blood sample. These will be tested together and it will give us a 99.9% accurate test result. This is what I want to do for all my birds. It will be $250 per bird.

What is a PCR? Is this the poop, feather and blood testing?

Oh Kelsey :(:(

Its so hard over here isnt it, with the lack of testing facilities.... I could have sworn that some of our tests go up to you? Isnt there a lab somewhere in Qld that can give you results quite quickly??

Those feathers dont look too good :(

Couldnt it be something to do with their liver disease??

Have you heard of this Vet? Hes in Sydney and I consulted him with Yoshis injury and he is great, will even call you free of charge!!

Bird Vet Sydney - Dr Ross Perry - Animal health - cat vet sydney | dog vet sydney - lorrikeet cockatoo budgy budgerigar exotics avian

May be worth sending him some photos and asking his opinion also??

Hugs to you and all your babies :hug8:
Yes, we do have a small lab up here and this is where we sent the samples. Unfortunately they are at full capacity and they sent the samples on to their South African lab.

The poop, blood and feather test I mention above can be sent to Toowoomba for quicker results I think.

The feathers in the photos aren't even the worst of it. The new feathers are growing in as thick as my pinky finger.

Thank you for the link. I'll check it out.

Thank you so much.

LemonGrass

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry kelsey :( I would be upset if my vet did that to me too. Perhaps you should ask him for proof that he actually ran the tests the first time round because now it is going to cost you a fortune to test your flock and it falls on his shoulders for being skeptical the first time round :( Perhaps if you raise suspicion the vet will work with you at a discount for follow up tests on your other birds! He doesn't sound very honest :(

As for the PCR it is my understanding that it can be anything that contains DNA (blood, poop, etc) and they amplify it so they have an adequate sample to run tests on.

Be strong :hug8: It will be so hard if you have to euthanize the budgies but it is for the best.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I'm so sorry Kelsey... :( I hope it's just really bad polyfuliculitis for everyone's sake.

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela
Kelsey I am so sorry for this horrible news. I hope the rest of your flock make it through this without any problems. You tried to help and do what was right for those little budgies and this is so unfair for you to be going through this. You're all in my thoughts and prayers :hug8:

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you all for the throughts and prayers. I hope they work.

Zohie, the vet has been very nice since visually diagnosing the male. He even performed a post mortem for free (yes, Bamboo died suddenly on Tuesday as well - too painful to post about it yet).

shellbeme

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shelly
Kelsey there is an incubation period for PBFD 20something days so unless it's been that long since your birds have been exposed do not have them tested yet. I don't know how much you know about the disease but it is not an automatic death sentence. I personally also do not see a reason to have a bird euthanized immediately. I brought an eclectus into our home about a year ago who tested positive. I haven't had Chico tested and at the moment I still have no plans to as it won't change anything for me. He's still dusty, his feathers are still normal-and if I had the slightest notion that he was ill I would take him to the vet just like normal. I have no intentions of ever adding to my flock and I have only had one friend who has birds and is fully aware of our situation.

A healthy adult bird should be able to fend off the disease and recover. There are cases where they become 'lifetime carriers' and there are cases where some birds eventually succumb to the virus years after being infected. Just know it's not an automatic death sentence.

When I found out, it felt like the ground dropped from beneath my feet, and it was literally one of my worst fears come to life so I completely understand what you are going through. *hugs* We bleached things down weekend after weekend. The most recent word from my avain vet is that the virus can live without a host for up to 18 months. So for me, I'm not confident, no matter how much bleach we throw on things that we can ever get rid of it. I won't risk another life, so no more birds for us.

Being in Australia, I should hope that you at least have access to the most up to date information on the virus.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you so much for the information Shelly!! It breaks my heart that there are others going through what I am going through, but I have to admit that it is comforting not being the only one either. In my panic I had completely forgotten that you faced the same thing only a few months ago. :(

I would personally like to test all my birds. Just for peace of mind for myself. I'm going absolutely crazy not knowing who has it and who doesn't. It just frustrates me so much that I had to beg and plead to have the Budgies tested before anything was done. Even then there was doubt that it was done properly. I thought I did well by my birds. Never again.

From what I understand, if my birds test:

- Negative with this poop, feather and blood sample test, then they are ok and there is no need to test them again.

- If they test positive then they should be retested after 90 days. If the second test is positive then they should be retested again in 90 days. If that is positive again then I can expect them to show clinical signs.

- If they test negative for the second test then they should be retested again in 90 days. If that is negative again then they should be alright.

Is that right?

I also know that there are three things that could happen if they were exposed to PBFD.

1. They get it, become infected, show clinical signs and die (eventually). - Tests will always show they are PBFD positive.

2. They get it, become infected, fight it off, never show clinical signs but still shed the virus (so they become carriers). - Tests will always show that they are PBFD positive.

3. They get it, become infected and then completely fight off the disease (after that they don't shed the disease). - Tests might show that they are PBFD positive at the start of the infection but then they will always be PBFD negative once they fight it off.

Is that information right as well?

The reason we will have the male Budgie euthanased is because the vet told us he is in pain. If it is PBFD then we can't do anything for him because the pain of growing in new feathers will always be there. If he does not have PBFD then we will look at other things that could help him fix his deformed feathers because there is likely a chance it can be cured/fixed.

If the female turns out to be a carrier then she will have to be euthanased as well. I cannot risk my entire flock. I couldn't even find them a home when I thought they were healthy. There is no chance of finding them a home if they carry PBFD. :( :( :(

I will find out the home kit test results for the Budgies and Green Cheeks in 24 hours. It feels like a lifetime away.

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm so sorry about your loss and I'm sorry you are going through this. You did do everything right and it sounds like something got messed up with the first tests. As Shelly said though, it isn't a death sentence, so I don't know that I would even worry about testing anyone else at this point since there really isn't anything you can do for them. I didn't realize that the disease could live for 18 months outside of a host either, so you might not be ok for that long. I think it would be more of an issue if you decide to bring new birds home and then it might be worth testing. I wouldn't bother with the home kits either as they have a chance of not being correct. If you decide to test, go with the blood PCR through your vet. Good luck and my heart is with you and your birds.

zoomama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I am so sorry for all you're going through, Kelsey, and for your loss. Lots of heartfelt prayers coming your way.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you.

I would like to test my birds because they are in seperate houses. If the Green Cheeks test positive but my other birds at my house do not, then I know to continue strict quarantine.

If they all test positive... well. :(

This is something I feel I must do. Just like I *knew* that the Budgies should have been tested for PBFD way back when I got them.

I would like to know (if anyone can help me): How long after being in contact with the disease, does it take to show up in the blood? Shelly, you mention 20 something days, but I just read some sources saying it could take months and years before clinical signs are shown.

So does that mean they *could* just take that long to show visual signs or it could take that long before it shows up with blood tests? :confused:

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there. Some say it is a death sentence or that those that have been exposed to the disease will die or be carriers. Other sources say that some parrots can overcome the disease and be fine for the rest of their lives. They will not shed the disease.

:(

shellbeme

Real Name
Shelly
Kelsey your understanding of the testing and retesting matches what I understand as well. Clinical signs can take months to show, however it is my understanding that the virus can be tested for after, 20 something and I can't remember the exact number on that, my vet gave it to me but I'm not sure if it was 23 or 25 or so on. I would think giving it 30 days from possible exposure would be the right amount of time.

I have also read a case, online of a lovebird who showed clinical signs and then later recovered-but that's just a story a read online, it's nothing I heard from a vet. I honestly believe it boils down to the birds health and immune system. If they have a cold or a bug or something minor medically wrong, they are 'compromised' and more likely to succumb, if they are healthy, they tend to overcome.

As far as having birds euthanized, I totally support whatever decisions you make-for whatever that's worth. It is a very personal thing and no one can tell you the right or wrong choice. For me, I only have one bird now so I would not have it done unless he became ill with no recovery in sight and was in constant misery-but with flocks of birds to protect, I completely understand your situation is different.

Birds can become carriers, and it also effects different species differently-but much of the info online is very outdated. It really isn't a death sentence, in young birds, their immune system is normally not quite as strong as an adult bird so they are more apt to succumb to it.

It is kind of like the aids virus, it effects their immune system and most birds die from secondary infections. My vet did confirm for me that not all hope was lost and she did expect Chico to be fine if he did come in contact with it because as far as we are aware, he is a healthy bird.

I have also read online about some studies that were done in birds that were exposed-the adult birds that died from the disease all had some underlying problems which would eventually have shortened their life anyway. This my vet confirmed too.

I hope this helps some. *hugs*

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im so sorry,I pray that the results are negative.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you so much.

My Dende has a compromised immune system because his previous owners kept him in a cage with toxic metal bars. He suffered from Heavy Metal Poisoning for months and months before we detected and treated it.

Today at the vets (different avian vets - ones I trust abslutely fully) he had some blood taken for a Body Function Test and Complete Blood Count because he is losing weight and muscle mass.

If I lose Dende then I just don't know what I would do. He, along with Clopin, are my little soul mates.

I will never, ever bring another bird into my house. Not while my guys are still with me.

shellbeme

Real Name
Shelly
Thank you so much.

My Dende has a compromised immune system because his previous owners kept him in a cage with toxic metal bars. He suffered from Heavy Metal Poisoning for months and months before we detected and treated it.

Today at the vets (different avian vets - ones I trust abslutely fully) he had some blood taken for a Body Function Test and Complete Blood Count because he is losing weight and muscle mass.

If I lose Dende then I just don't know what I would do. He, along with Clopin, are my little soul mates.

I will never, ever bring another bird into my house. Not while my guys are still with me.

I just wish I could give you a real hug, everything you're saying, is everything I have also felt. PBFD is part of what made me decide no more birds for us ever. (There are other factors in there too however) If you need to vent or cry or just ramble on about anything feel free to pm me anytime.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Just seeing this. I am so sorry that you are going through this. I am sending prayers to you, those poor budgies and to your flock. Praying hard that they do not have PBFD.

You did everything right and you also listened to what your gut was telling you and you took action. You also brought those poor birds into your heart and home and gave them not only a chance but gave them love and the best care possible.

No matter what happens, you have to do what is best for your flock. We will be here to offer our support, an ear and hugs whenever you may need them.
:hug8:

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you so much guys.

I phoned the testing company repeatedly leading up to today to make sure I'll have the results. They told me at the latest I'll have the results on Friday, 17 December between 4pm-6pm. They will phone me as well as email the results through to me.

There's still 30 minutes left before 6pm tonight. I'm really hoping they keep their promise because I can't wait another whole weekend before hearing the results. They are closed over the weekend so I can't even phone them then.

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
It is now 6:15pm and I did not get an email from the testing company. I tried to phone but their offices close at 4:30pm and for the entire weekend.

So three more days of hell.

MollyMouse

Oh no I hope that Dende will be ok :hug8:I sent you a PM Kelsey.

Status
Not open for further replies.