• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak and Feather Disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I got devestating news this morning. One of the rescue Budgies probably has Beak and Feather Disease. I can't even tell you guys what is going on in my head right now. I'm at work and can't do anything. Please tell me all you know about PBFD. I'll read it all when I get home. What does this mean for my other birds? The Budgie was visually diagnosed this morning. Test results will be back on Friday. Even then it could give a false negative like the previous test. How will I ever know the rest of my flock is ok?? This news has absolutely drained me.

EDITED TO ADD:

I'm home now and have a bit more time to elaborate on my first post.

The rescue Budgies came to me in July. I quarantined them immediately at my boyfriend's house. They went to the vet for a complete check-up including a Full Body Blood Test and Complete Blood Count.

They both showed that the Budgies had nothing they could pass on to other birds.

Still they remained in quarantine.

Soon after I noticed poop getting stuck on the male Budgie's vent and that his tail feathers were shorter than they should be. They went back to the vet and I asked about PBFD. I was told it is highly unlikely that they have PBFD. The male Budgie (because he is a large Exhibition Budgie) probably just has problems reaching his vent and tail feathers so can't preen them properly.

Except, something was still nagging at me. You know when you just get that feeling that something is wrong? So I insisted on having them both tested for PBFD. The tests would take 3 weeks.

The test results come back negative for both of the Budgies.

So maybe I'm just paranoid. The vet really, really does not think I should worry about PBFD. The Budgies have been in quarantine for 4 solid months or 120 days if you prefer. I relax quarantine and the Green Cheeks move to James' house because there they can have their own bird room. We no longer take as much care between birds. We mix utensils, we don't change clothes between cages, we share food... basically we do everything wrong.

Then I find a crooked feather near the male's vent.

I also find a short, stumpy, deformed feather shaft near his vent.

I often deal with PBFD infected birds at the wildlife hospital. These feathers are practically a dead give-away. It is either PBFD or Polyoma Virus. Both bad.

We go into full quarantine mode again. As much as we can with the Green Cheeks still there.

I order home testing kits and we collect blood from the Budgies and Green Cheeks to have them all tested for both PBFD and Polyoma Virus. These tests have to be sent to South Africa so the results take ages.

Fast forward to the weekend that has just passed. The results are due in 5 working days (17 December) and I check the male's vent again. There is a deformed feather shaft there that is so large it is at least 8 times the normal size it should be. I'm not exaggerating. It has ruptured the skin around it. It bleeds on contact. There are others like it as well.

The male is rushed to the vet again (this morning). The vet looks at the deformed feathers and gives his diagnosis: Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease.

We are waiting for the test results for the birds to confirm what we already know. The male Budgie is in pain and refuses to preen his feathers because it is too painful. He will be euthanised if his test comes back positive. So will the female.

We have to because we are trying to do damage control and protect the rest of the flock. I don't want to do this. I never, ever wanted it to get this far. It is not fair. These Budgies have only known bad things in their lives. They were abandoned in the middle of winter in a shoe box on the side of the road. They suffered from fatty liver disease because of a terrible diet. It's not fair. They've never known love or kindness. Now they never will.

I know it can be transferred on clothes and other things. I'm worried about my birds at my home too.

We'll take it one step at a time. We will have to test all the birds. All of them. Proper tests. Not home kits.

Please tell me everything will be ok.

Last edited:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Weren’t you quarantining them at your boyfriends house? (inside) Your other birds should be okay, so long as they haven’t come in contact with these two Budgies, and anyone who touched them washed their hands really well after-wards and such.

Transmission: Transmission of the virus from one individual to another is primarily through direct contact, inhalation or ingestion of aerosols, crop-feeding, infected fecal material, and feather dust. The virus can also be transmitted via contaminated surfaces such as bird carriers, feeding formula, utensils, food dishes, clothing, and nesting materials. The viral particles, if not destroyed can remain viable in the environment for months, long after the infected bird is gone.
Prevention: Strict isolation of all diseased birds to halt the the spread of the disease. DNA testing of all birds of susceptible species to rule out latent infection. DNA testing of aviary equipment and environment to test for possible contamination.
You can read more here: Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease (PBFD)

I really hope the Budgie doesn’t have PBFD. :(

MBS

Jogging around the block
I really hope that this poor budgie doesn't have it and that all of your birds are okay. I don't know anything about PBFD.

I kind of know what you may be going through. One of our birds may have psittacosis, and it's supposedly very catchy to people and dogs. I'm so worried about our other birds, our dogs, and my human family. We won't know for sure until the test results come in in a few days.

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
i'm so sorry Kelsey :(
:hug8:

hope its not PBFD
will be praying for the budgies, you and your flock. :hug8:

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you for the kind words. I updated my original post with more information. Maybe that will help.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I am so sorry. I really hope that is isn't PBFD :hug8::hug8:

*K*J*B*

Real Name
Kylee
I'm so sorry Kelsey. I hope none of the other birds have caught it. You and all of your fids are in my prayers.:hug8:

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I'm so sorry.:hug8: Praying it's not PBFD.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
So as I understand it the only other birds that have been housed with the budgies are the green cheeks, right? Are those the only birds that came in contact with the same food, water, utensils that the you were using for the budgies? But you didn't wash your clothes and things when you came home to your other birds. How long have the budgies been out of quarantine and thank god you quaranteened at long as you did. And I would be so mad at the vet.

I am also sorry for those little budgies, I know how heartbreaking it is for you to have to make that decision.

And what's bad is that you can't trust the tests either. Even if they come back negative it could be wrong.

You don't think it could be a case of polyfuliculitis do you? Where multiple feathers grow in one follicle?

Ginger

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
praying very hard here :hug8:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm not sure I understand what is going on...you said you had the budgies tested for PBFD when you first got them...did you do a PCR test? If you did and that came back negative, then they do not have PBFD or they contracted it after the test from other birds in your house. Positive PCRs can also be false and you should test again 60 to 90 days afer a positive to make sure that the bird really does have PBFD but I've never heard of a false negative. If the PCR came back negative, as far as I know, the bird does not have PBFD.

It's also worth stating that this disease is not a death sentence and birds can live long healthy lives. The biggest question with it is, if the bird recovers, is it a lifetime carrier that you have to worry about other birds getting infected or does it have immunity...that seems to be a question that they don't quite know the answer to.

I would not euthanize simply because the test came back positive and I wouldn't count on visual diagnosis either. You have to run the PCR.

If you are dealing with Polyoma, most adult birds do not have issues with this disease and will shed the virus without ever showing signs of illness.

Blackford

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tyne
Oh Kelsey :(:(

Its so hard over here isnt it, with the lack of testing facilities.... I could have sworn that some of our tests go up to you? Isnt there a lab somewhere in Qld that can give you results quite quickly??

Those feathers dont look too good :(

Couldnt it be something to do with their liver disease??

Have you heard of this Vet? Hes in Sydney and I consulted him with Yoshis injury and he is great, will even call you free of charge!!

Bird Vet Sydney - Dr Ross Perry - Animal health - cat vet sydney | dog vet sydney - lorrikeet cockatoo budgy budgerigar exotics avian

May be worth sending him some photos and asking his opinion also??

Hugs to you and all your babies :hug8:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Kelsey, you opened your home and heart to those two budgies. Yes, they KNOW good things, they came into your life and you gave them good.

Remember do not to project your human emotions onto them, they aren't capable of such complex thoughts.

Your birds will be fine, you will be able to provide ALL the care you need to give to your Green Cheeks, IF they have it. They don't have it right now, so just deal with what you can and what you have control of.

Everything WILL be alright, you will make all the right decisions.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Kelsey, I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm so hoping it turns out ok for all your birds. Keeping you in my prayers and thoughts. :hug5:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Aww Kelsey I'm thinking of you! :hug8:

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
i have no words for you Kelsey,i'm crying here as i read your edited post.
i'm sorry for the budgies
you did a gr8 thing by giving them a loving caring home even if it was for a small time.
i'm sorry again. :(
many :hug8: to you
sorry sweet angels you had to suffer :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.