• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baytril question

moonchild

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I have to give my budgies Baytril once a day, since the female is ill. I gave the first does today at the vets around noon, then realized that if they are supposed to get it at the same time every day there is no way I can do that. My work schedule is stupid, and some days I work the early shift and sometimes the late one. My options are either, a) have my boyfriend do it on the days that I work early, b) give it some days around 11:45 am and some days around 4 pm, or c) start giving it around 9:30 pm every night. Which would mean that they'd go a long time between the first and second doses, but then after that it would be regular. What do you think is best? Option a is not desirable as it's really not the boyfriend's responsibility.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I think consistency is very important. Would do 9 pm option I think.

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
Hmm okay. Do you think I should stagger the next few doses, then? Have my boyfriend do it around 4 tomorrow while I'm at work, then Friday I can do it around 7, and then after that it'll be done at 9:30?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'd just go right for 9pm tomorros:)

How is she doing btw?:hug8:

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
Okay that works. Thanks.

She is doing pretty well. She was VERY feisty at the vet! Flew into the wall a couple of times, bit the syringe angrily, etc. And then when I got her home she hopped right into the cage and started eating millet. I moved the water dish to her favored side of the cage to make sure she remembers to drink, and I'm going to pick up some vitamins and probiotics. So far all she eats is seed and millet, and the vet wants to see her diet improve a lot. I know she had veggies offered in the aviary before, but so far she seems uninterested here. She is sick, yes, but still has a will to live and hopefully I caught it early enough.

Kelli

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelli
baytril will have her feeling better in no time - i gave it to my green cheek conure after a nasty bite on the foot by my blue crown.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Hmm okay. Do you think I should stagger the next few doses, then? Have my boyfriend do it around 4 tomorrow while I'm at work, then Friday I can do it around 7, and then after that it'll be done at 9:30?
I'm sorry Garance, I lost track of this post. I think Mercedez answered your question. I agree w/ her.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Okay that works. Thanks.

She is doing pretty well. She was VERY feisty at the vet! Flew into the wall a couple of times, bit the syringe angrily, etc. And then when I got her home she hopped right into the cage and started eating millet. I moved the water dish to her favored side of the cage to make sure she remembers to drink, and I'm going to pick up some vitamins and probiotics. So far all she eats is seed and millet, and the vet wants to see her diet improve a lot. I know she had veggies offered in the aviary before, but so far she seems uninterested here. She is sick, yes, but still has a will to live and hopefully I caught it early enough.
You have done amazing with her. We all know the diet is extremely important, but you can't do everything at once. And when you're sick, you often have suppressed appetite. So she won't want to venture into new territory when she doesn't feel her best. But once again, gold stars for ignoring the "expert budgie people" and doing what you knew was right.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
This happens to me all the time as I'm usually at the vet's in the middle of the day. I would also move the next dose to when you know you can do it everyday and just keep that schedule.

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
You have done amazing with her. We all know the diet is extremely important, but you can't do everything at once. And when you're sick, you often have suppressed appetite. So she won't want to venture into new territory when she doesn't feel her best. But once again, gold stars for ignoring the "expert budgie people" and doing what you knew was right.
Aw, thanks. I have to try! Now I'm getting super paranoid about psittacosis, and freaking out because there is no way I can TRULY quarantine in my limited space (they'd need to be in a separate building for that I think).

The people on the budgie forum didn't tell me NOT to take her in, only that they didn't they she looked terrible. And she doesn't, really...just not normal, either.