• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Baytril Dosage Question

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
This is why you need a vet involved. There is no way using this method that you're getting an accurate dosage. A 10% solution has 10g of baytril to 100mL of water.

Please, please, please contact a vet.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
makato, I PM'd you - check it out and see if they'll help. As far as I know neither will charge you for the assist. :hug8:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I am unclear on how this is supposed to be administered. Is it supposed to be mixed in with the bird's water bowl? If so that seems very inappropriate for a baby. Or is it supposed to compounded with sterile water and put into a dosage bottle and given by syringe? Do you have sterile water? If not, you will either need a prescription or to get it from a vet.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
That 10% enrofloxacin (which they sell in a few online stores) is prepared to give in drinking water. Even with correct calculations to give it via a syringe, you will end up with such a tiny amount needed, even a 0.3 mL diabetic syringe won't help. :(
Wish I could help you more.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Oh, you can buy just about anything from some countries. That includes human narcotic pain meds.

And I realize some people are just so far away from vets, especially avian vets that they do choose to treat their own birds based on their feelings about what it is. I'm lucky to have one within 50 miles.
Wonder what the quality control is like when you buy Baytril from, say, Thailand?

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I don't think the quality issue could be a problem only when buying from a different country. That could be as well an issue when you buy from any store in the US or Canada. Who controls such meds? Probably no one.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I don't think the quality issue could be a problem only when buying from a different country. That could be as well an issue when you buy from any store in the US or Canada. Who controls such meds? Probably no one.
Actually, the government does. The companies here also go through serious quality control measures.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I've stopped long ago relying on the government for these things. They make you believe they have their eye on things, but I don't believe they do. Ha! Monsanto's probably in charge.

this thread is really annoying me. People not trained as vets or vet techs should not be administering high powered meds. Especially when they don't even know what's wrong. I hate the idea if this forum getting the reputation of even participating in these conversations.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I don't think the forum has any worries about reputation, I think it has been made quite clear by several in this thread that going to the vet and getting a prescription is the best choice.

I also think that since the OP is obviously not going to seek vet advice on this that the members have put their differences aside and are willing to try and help figure out what the correct dosage should be so as not to harm the bird more.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I referred the OP to 2 avian vets I know (in IL) who might be willing to give her advice to help in this situation. From taking my birds to both of them, neither will judge and they will try to help as much as they can with whatever information is provided to them. As far as I am concerned, I have a clean conscience on the information I've provided. I can only hope and pray that this little baby makes it.:hug8::hug8:

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I calculated the dosage but it is a very small amount and there is no way to accurately measure that with a standard syringe. I hope the vet has some suggestions.

heirofslytherin123

Real Name
Gabby
When i was making up a compounded solution of Baytril, the vet had me peel a purple pill and mix it up...i cant remember exactly what i did but it was for a client. If the solution you are using is a liquid then it's going to be different. Im sure you have been given good information from other posters. What i would suggest, as has been suggested before, is go to the vet. The vet will do the exam and determine if Baytril is the right route to go. If it is and you already have it, then the vet can give the dose to you. They normally dont charge extra for the proper calculation. Now the worst that will happen is that the vet says it's something else needing treatment that's different from the baytril and you've just saved yourself, and the baby, more issues down the road. The best case scenario is that your using the right meds and dont need to pay for more from the vet. That's if you see the vet. If you dont see the vet and you dose the baby improperly and end up with a serious complication, you may spend more $$ and end up loosing the baby. If you dont see the vet and DO properly dose the baby and the baby heals and is healthy and wonderful, That's great. Personally, Im one of those people that freaks out if something is wrong with my babies, Even though im a registered vet tech, and i run to the vet. There are times i question myself and there are times im confident im doing right. In this particular instance, were the baby my own, and i had the Baytril, I would still get an avian vet consult, even over the phone, to make sure what im about to do is ok. :hug8:I hope I helped. Cost def is an issue for me and my vet and i have worked out payment plans in the past. If it is an issue for you maybe talk to him/her about payment options? Good luck with your little one. :heart:

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Sending good thoughts for the little one. Makato- please at least call an avian vet for his or her advice. :hug8:

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
This link has pictures of the label that shows dosages for parrots with people adding comments about how they figure the correct dosage (there's also some discussion about why the product is sometimes extra labeled and sold for parrots without a prescription but not for other pets-Don't know if it's accurate.) Buying Baytril - Buyer Beware - Page 2

Please be careful when handling it. There is suspicion that Baytril can be a carcinogen when overused, but I don't believe it's been proven. Baytril is also one of the drugs that quickly becomes ineffective when overused on a patient. The only reason I know any of this is because I've had this discussion with my vet when she prescribed Baytril to my dog once and I asked her about side effects. She said she believes the reason it's hasn't shown up in laboratory results as a carcinogen, but there does appear to be a large group of pets that get tumors at the site of injection (Baytril is frequently injected) is because people can buy it so easily without a vets consultation (since you can purchase it for Psittacines legally) and it is often not being used properly. Its been several years though, The research might be more advanced now and the laws could've changed since then.