• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Baytril Dosage Question

makato

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Maria
Is anyone familiar with recommended dosages for Baytril 10%? I'm not sure I'm calculating the dosage chart correctly. It is for a baby lovebird, currently 30grams.

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
I would never adiminister any medication to my bird unless my avian vet
prescribes it. Also remember that birds fluctuate in weight, so that you
cannot administer without professional advise.

Good luck to ya:)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
We are not vets. It goes by weight and what the vet believes is good amount of baytril. It could be less or more, and given in one, two or three dosages per day. Go to the vet for this info.

You will also need an anti fungal med too.

How did you come across a vial of baytril?

Last edited:

makato

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Maria
Baytril, along with other avian medications and supplements, are available through many bird suppliers online. I know I've seen other forums for breeders discussing amounts and things like that, but as I already had an account here I was hoping to find some help here so as not to bother setting up new accounts on so many forums. It gets hard to keep track of lots of different forums. Anyway, was hoping for some advice from breeders or those familiar with dosages as it is not always feasible to run out to the vet for each and every baby bred, but I don't want to be one of those breeders that just lets nature take its course on struggling babies. And as to the weight, 30grams is the current weight of baby before first feeding of the day, not after a meal.

I seriously debated even posting on here because I know this is primarily a forum for owners, but was just hoping to catch some of the breeders and bird professionals for a second opinion on the dosage charts.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Personally, I would call an avian vet to double check the dosage.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Well, I'm not a vet, but I'm a mathematician. I could easily do the math for you, BUT, how do you know you have a bacterial infection? And yes, you should also give an antifungal as well.

I would feel absolutely awful if I gave you a dosage based on incorrect information :(

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Baytril is sold by bird vendors? Can you list the one who sells it? Infact I dont know of anyone who sells antibiotics and anti fungals?

We keep them locked up at my work.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
All the breeders I know go to a vet when issues crop up. But theyre professionals, so they practice the art of prevention.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Baytril is sold by bird vendors? Can you list the one who sells it? Infact I dont know of anyone who sells antibiotics and anti fungals?

Oh, you can buy just about anything from some countries. That includes human narcotic pain meds.

And I realize some people are just so far away from vets, especially avian vets that they do choose to treat their own birds based on their feelings about what it is. I'm lucky to have one within 50 miles.

makato

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Maria

I've seen it in a few places, but I used All Bird Products Inc for Baytril and some probiotics.

This particular little dude has a very poor feeding response and though I take the extra time with him at each and every meal, he did manage to inhale and aspirate a small bit. We've been taking it easy and have done a couple saline washes which has greatly improved his breathing, but I'm now concerned about the bacterial build-up that having gotten food into his lungs will lead to. Babies that survive aspiration often end up dying of aspiration pneumonia down the road. Hence the Baytril..

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Well, if you have the dosage rate, like 1mL per 500g or whatever it is I can show you how to calculate it and do the math for you.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
If you have a professional relationship with a vet I don't see why they wouldn't speak with you about this little one. Baytril is a big gun antibiotic and I wouldn't give it without a vets advice regardless of what other breeders do. In any case, I'm wishing the best for this little one

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
I wouldn't take this risk, without first speaking to a C.A.V. at least over the phone, especially with a 30 grams baby Lovebird.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Baytril: Bird Medications

I personally dont think Id trust this at all. From the sounds of it, this is strictly for use in water. Its already diluted to 10%...

Unless its too early here and Im not reading/understanding this.

Why dont you email an avian vet? Your avian vet and ask?

Last edited:

makato

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Maria
Well, if you have the dosage rate, like 1mL per 500g or whatever it is I can show you how to calculate it and do the math for you.
Well, it's the mg to ml that gets me... chart says 15mg/1kg, but then of course once that number is determined it has to be changed to ml (aka cc). There is also a water mix method too.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
***I would like to clarify for other members, especially newbies, that it is NOT recommended you treat your birds with RX meds without guidance from an avian vet. Cultures must be done to verify what bacteria is present for the RX to treat it in the proper way. Many vets will treat with an antibiotic while they wait for the culture and then have to switch antibiotics to one treats it properly when the culture comes back..
Buying RX meds off line should be frowned upon unless a vet specifically guides you on your purchase. More harm then good can occur for those inexperienced.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, it's the mg to ml that gets me... chart says 15mg/1kg, but then of course once that number is determined it has to be changed to ml (aka cc). There is also a water mix method too.
15 mg of solution or 15 mg of baytril? I'm assuming of solution but I'd want to be sure. How accurate is your gram scale?

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
1 mg = 0.001 cc for PURE WATER, but what you have is not pure water. Does it list a density? You're dealing with very small numbers here because 1 kg = 1000g. That's why I would leave this to the vets who have the tools to measure accurately. They will put it into a solution that makes it easy to feed with syringe (you will need a 1cc syringe). It is very easy to overdose such a small animal.

makato

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Maria
1 mg = 0.001 cc for PURE WATER, but what you have is not pure water. Does it list a density? You're dealing with very small numbers here because 1 kg = 1000g. That's why I would leave this to the vets who have the tools to measure accurately. They will put it into a solution that makes it easy to feed with syringe (you will need a 1cc syringe). It is very easy to overdose such a small animal.
Density is 1.035 at 20 degrees C

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
What are the units?