• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Baytril Antibiotics - good or bad?

CarmieConure

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Becky
Hi,

My 5 year old green-cheek conure was recently prescribed Batyril as an antibiotic (2x a day for 6 weeks), because her avian vet (who we have been going to for four years) thinks she has a kidney infection. I've been trying to research this antibiotic, but can't find anything good about it. (Some reviews even say it killed their bird!) Does anyone have any information about this antibiotic? Should I get a second opinion?

Thanks!

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Rhoma is also on it, but only .12mL once per day for 3 weeks. I know it is a general antibiotic used until a culture and sensitivity is completed to see if it is the correct antibiotic for the bacteria being treated. Did your vet do a culture and sensitivity on the poo?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Baytril (Enrofloxacin) is a broad spectrum anti-biotic, which means it works on many different bacteria. It also adsorbs well meaning it is good for many different areas of the body and internal organs. With long term use, by either injection or oral, it has a possibility to break down muscle tissue (necrotism) and makes many birds nauseous.

Baytril, in the opinion of my vet, has been greatly overused and a number of bacteria have become immune to Baytril (including MTSA and E. Coli). A culture and sensitivity is necessary to avoid this problem.

Baytril is a VERY EFFECTIVE anti-biotic and has saved the lives of countless parrots. If your bird doesn't begin to improve within 5-6 days, it is time to contact your vet and discuss a different anti-biotic.

Baytril will not kill a parrot unless the parrot is greatly overdosed or the bird is naturally allergic to it (but that is almost instant death).

Last edited:

CarmieConure

Real Name
Becky
Thanks for your responses! Carmie has had both blood work and a fecal study done, and her vet found that her kidney counts were slightly higher than was typical, as were her liver enzymes. The vet said ultimately the decision to use antibiotics was up to us - or we could try getting her to sleep more. She sleeps about 14 hours a night right now and the vet recommended 16-17 which isn't possible with our work schedules, so we decided to give her the Baytril. However, it seemed odd to me that the solution could be either medicine or sleep...

She hadn't been acting sick before, but she had been plucking feathers under her wings (she's been a plucker/feather-chewer since before I got her), and so the vet ran the blood work and fecal tests. Tonight, she seemed off - didn't really eat much, wasn't playing with her toys, and was plucking a lot. I was just concerned that her dosage time was so long.

Carmie also refuses to take the antibiotic by itself, so we've been either mixing it with orange juice which worked for a couple of days until she got wise to it and refused to swallow it, or putting it on a tiny piece of cheese. I don't really like to give her cheese - though it's her favorite treat and she asks for it by name.

CarmieConure

Real Name
Becky
I was also wondering if she should be on probiotics to prevent yeast infection? Especially since the duration is so long.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
What is the dosage you are giving her? We were given BeneBac for Rhoma to be given 1-2 hours after the antibiotic.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How long has she been on Baytril now. Usually, nausea is the first reaction to Baytril after a long time on it. Yes, six weeks is a long time for Baytril. My Hank was on it that long at one time, but he had a plethora of bacterial infections and was very, very ill.

Can you tell me exactly what the vet called the kidney and liver "counts" and how high they were? It sounds unusual to me that your vet did not put your girl on Milk Thistle and dandelion extract. How high were her White Blood cell counts?

Yes, she should be put on probiotics. If you can manage give the probiotics 1 - 1/2 hours after giving the Baytril.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
It sounds like you need to have another conversation with your vet. If you're having trouble giving the meds and if she seems worse now it's something your vet needs to know about so they can address the issue.

Probiotics are an iffy issue when it comes to birds. Whether or not they will actually help your bird is up in the air. If you're stressing your bird out by giving more meds, it's probably not worth it.

Be careful with what you read on the internet, there are a lot of people out there that are convinced that medications killed their animal and in reality we can never know the exact circumstances. A good relationship with your vet is an absolute must. Please bring up these concerns with them.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Hankmacaw is right on,,the most I've used it is for 10 days,, the usual side effects are nausea and decreased appetite. I've used it for years and never had a problem...Like Hank says, you should see an improvement in about a week. If not, then get back to the vet and find something else. You say she chews under her wings, has she been tested for Giardia?

TinaLoui

Moving in
Probiotics are an iffy issue when it comes to birds. Whether or not they will actually help your bird is up in the air. If you're stressing your bird out by giving more meds, it's probably not worth it.
For this same reason it can be a difficult dilemma whether or not to even administer the antibiotics due to the stress it can cause....or whether it's better to give it via their drinking supply.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've given it for that long before and it didn't do any harm. But definitely discuss with the vet if your bird has developed new symptoms.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Isnt it 2x a day its like too much when Baylee has been sick vet recommended 1x a day for 7-10 days. If infection persist or the bird doesnt improve then you extended 4-5 more days.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Isnt it 2x a day its like too much when Baylee has been sick vet recommended 1x a day for 7-10 days. If infection persist or the bird doesnt improve then you extended 4-5 more days.
It can be dosed once or twice a day.

LailaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
LAILA BUTT
Hi Carmie, I've given it to my Quaker Louis and it just didn't seem to do much for him when he was sick a year ago with a respiratory infection, but this year his infection has come back and baytril is back on the menu to treat what the vet suspects is chlamydia. Haven't noticed any improvement and hes been on it for about 10 days so far. But he's suppose to take it for the next 6 weeks so ill update you if it things start improving.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
For this same reason it can be a difficult dilemma whether or not to even administer the antibiotics due to the stress it can cause....or whether it's better to give it via their drinking supply.
I disagree. Dosing antibiotics in the water is unreliable and the antibiotic choice is much more limited. There’s no evidence the probiotics will help your bird. However, dosing orally will ensure your bird actually gets the meds and gives the vet the ability to make the best choice for your bird.