• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baytril and Ronidazole

SamAlexandra

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows if it's safe to give Baytril and Ronidazole to a budgie at the same time? My little girl is sick, and neither I or the vets are sure if she has an infection or if it's Trichomonas. She's just started on Baytril but her symptoms are looking very much like Trich today, so I'm afraid I don't have the time to wait for the antibiotic course to be over, and want to start her on Ronidazole as soon as possible. (She's currently looking very sick.)

Any advice would be so appreciated.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Well, here is what I found. It does not mention any contra-indication with Flouroquinolones (which Baytril is), but I can't give any advice.

Ronidazole for Veterinary Use

Perhaps your vet could get on the internet veterinary Q&A site and find out.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did your vet prescribe both at the same time?

I also don't think it's contraindicated but it would be best to get the vet's take.

SamAlexandra

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Thank you for your responses :)

The vet has prescribed the Baytril, the Ronidazole I brought myself (tricho plus). The vet said it's fine to give the Ronidazole, but the plan had been to wait until the antibiotics were finished. Her current state has changed my mind about waiting.

I will ring the vet first thing tomorrow, but the bird vet isn't in until Tuesday (and is fully booked!), so I'm not sure how much luck I will have getting an answer. That's why I thought it might be a good idea to ask here, on the off chance someone might know.