• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bath time

Mollylc

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Molly
Hi,
Anyone have any advice on how to get my two budgies to take a bath. I have a bath which clips on one of the doors of their but they have no interest and then I have to take it off because the water gets cold. I end up spray them with a spray bottle on a very light setting which they don’t enjoy but they do need a bath because they get dandruff so I have too.

Reactions: Ali

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
A lot of budgies actually prefer colder water because warm water has been stood a while while colder is generally fresher. Just offer a shallow bowl of cold water in various places, moving it somewhere else if it goes unused for a few days (bottom of the cage, on top of the cage etc). Floating a lettuce leaf or similar in the water can pique their interest.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
One of my budgies only takes baths ocasionally in her water bowl, the other takes a bath in my hands in the sink, but only when he wants to.

Some budgies like to take baths in bowls filled with water and grass clipppings (not from lawnmover!) Others like to take baths in wet lettuce, kale, ect. attached to the side of the cage.

Some birds like to take baths while the vacuum is runnning because it makes a noise kind of like rain in a forest, you could try that or a video of rainforest sounds.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
As the other posts said just keep offering different ways to bathe. My two mostly ignore their actual baths, but take a dip in their water bowl every few days or so. (Usually RIGHT after I clean it and fill it with bottled water because DUH why not make the human do that all over again- it’s so fun! :laugh: )
They both like being lightly misted sometimes too, but other times they walk away from it so I stop. As long as water is offered they will use it when they need to... or when you find the magical way they enjoy bathing lol

BirdWorld

Hi,
Anyone have any advice on how to get my two budgies to take a bath. I have a bath which clips on one of the doors of their but they have no interest and then I have to take it off because the water gets cold. I end up spray them with a spray bottle on a very light setting which they don’t enjoy but they do need a bath because they get dandruff so I have too.
My budgies use a bathtub that goes on the floor of the cage. I got them a new one that clips to the door because the water on the floor gets dirty after a while, but they’re scared of the new tub. Some birds like to bathe differently, like going under a steady drip of water in the sink, or bathing in lettuce, or a mist.

BirdWorld

One of my budgies only takes baths ocasionally in her water bowl, the other takes a bath in my hands in the sink, but only when he wants to.

Some budgies like to take baths in bowls filled with water and grass clipppings (not from lawnmover!) Others like to take baths in wet lettuce, kale, ect. attached to the side of the cage.

Some birds like to take baths while the vacuum is runnning because it makes a noise kind of like rain in a forest, you could try that or a video of rainforest sounds.
Is it true that rainforest sounds would help??? Budgies naturally live Australian grasslands, not in the rainforest, and even if they did live in forests, they wouldn’t recognize the sounds, most pet budgies were raised in pet stores or houses.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Is it true that rainforest sounds would help??? Budgies naturally live Australian grasslands, not in the rainforest, and even if they did live in forests, they wouldn’t recognize the sounds, most pet budgies were raised in pet stores or houses.
I don't know if it works specifically for budgies, but it does work for a lot of birds, especially Amazons I've noticed.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Sorry, I assumed you just meant budgies, this post is on a thread for budgies. :sorry:
It's okay, I don't know wether it would work for budgies or not, but the other methods should work for some budgies. It would probably work for forest birds like linnies, conues, macaws, amazons, pionus, ect.

BirdWorld

I’ve seen a lot of posts about birds (budgies in particular) bathing in their water bowls. Am I the only one who gives their birds those small water bottles that are meant for rodents? Because I’ve noticed that the bowls get pretty dirty. Especially AFTER the bird is done bathing in them lol.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I’ve seen a lot of posts about birds (budgies in particular) bathing in their water bowls. Am I the only one who gives their birds those small water bottles that are meant for rodents? Because I’ve noticed that the bowls get pretty dirty. Especially AFTER the bird is done bathing in them lol.
The problem with water bottles is that most birds have no idea how to use them, and the bowls are easier to clean anyway. A lot of bottles are made of plastic, which grows bacteria faster than stainless steel, and is harder to clean. Plastic can also grow a slimy film if left too long without cleaning.

BirdWorld

The problem with water bottles is that most birds have no idea how to use them, and the bowls are easier to clean anyway. A lot of bottles are made of plastic, which grows bacteria faster than stainless steel, and is harder to clean. Plastic can also grow a slimy film if left too long without cleaning.
Yeah, it’s kinda difficult to clean, but water bowls are more likely to get bacteria from feathers, poop, and food that falls in it. My bottle is plastic, but I clean it with vinegar which kills bacteria, and my birds use it just fine :)

Reactions: mak

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I use stainless steels bowls and replace the water 1 to 2 times a day depending on how dirty they got it. I have two ss bowls for food (one for each birb) and one for water.

Some ways to stop poop in bowls:

- no perches above the bowls (this goes for poop on other perches too)
- don't place water bowl in a corner (the corner seems to make Kiwi think it's a wonderful place to perch)

There's nothing you can do about the birds bathing in it. You have a budgie bath in your cage, and they may very well be drinking from it and not using the water bottle at all. You can usually assume they will have no idea what a water bottle is for unless you teach them.

BirdWorld

I use stainless steels bowls and replace the water 1 to 2 times a day depending on how dirty they got it. I have two ss bowls for food (one for each birb) and one for water.

Some ways to stop poop in bowls:

- no perches above the bowls (this goes for poop on other perches too)
- don't place water bowl in a corner (the corner seems to make Kiwi think it's a wonderful place to perch)

There's nothing you can do about the birds bathing in it. You have a budgie bath in your cage, and they may very well be drinking from it and not using the water bottle at all. You can usually assume they will have no idea what a water bottle is for unless you teach them.
Actually, I see them drinking from their water bottle every day, and I don’t keep the bathtub in their cage for more than half an hour at a time, it gets dirty being on the floor. They’ve had their bottle ever since I got them last year. That being said, they do drink from their bathtub when it is in the cage. It’s probably just convenient for them since they’re bathing at the same time.

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
Do most people leave a bowl for their budgie(s) to bathe in at all times? Now that its summer, I put the bath dish in 1-2 times a week. When they are done "playing", I remove it and cleaning it. Yes, it does get cloudy very quickly.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Mine would never bathe, no matter where I put their bath. So a little lateral thinking about a post on these forums and I figured a cat fountain would be good. They love it.
DSC_0151~2.JPG
It comes with a flower shower attachment but I think they prefer it set up as a spring. I believe they're hardwired to choose fresh moving water over still puddlewater. Who knows, who cares, it works.
Wish I had a video.

Last edited:

mak

I use a water bottle, not the kind with the tube at the end, rather with a small piece sticking out at the bottom where the water pools. (As a plus, my cockatiel always looks up quickly after drinking to watch the air bubbles rise to the top.:) )

Mollylc

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Molly
Mine would never bathe, no matter where I put their bath. So a little lateral thinking about a post on these forums and I figured a cat fountain would be good. They love it.
View attachment 341785
It comes with a flower shower attachment but I think they prefer it set up as a spring. I believe they're hardwired to choose fresh moving water over still puddlewater. Who knows, who cares, it works.
Wish I had a video.
How cute do they both look. That’s such a clever idea once my two budgies are more tame and comfortable I will look into getting them one, they probably wouldn’t use it now as they like to be high up but I’m working with them now to get them more comfortable and take so hopefully in the future.